Vertx Pants: My new favorites

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just wanted to share my latest find. Vertx Pants. I received 2 pairs of these for Christmas in both OD and Desert Tan. They are by far the most comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn. I now prefer them over my Mtn Khakis. The 98%cotton 2% spandex material feels like regular cotton, but has the slightest bit of give when you pull on the fabric. The articulated knee allows a great freedom of movement and keeps your pant legs from creeping up while seated. I'm not big on cargo pockets, but these are so hidden and tucked away you do not notice you have them. There is an inner pocket in both cargo areas that is designed to hold an M16 magazine, but is perfect for a smartphone. Their positioning and low profile make it so I don't even notice I have my phone in there, which is sometimes bad, because it makes me think I left it somewhere. Normally I hate, and I mean hate elastic in the wast band. These, although when off, look like there is a bunch of material, but in reality, when on, lay almost perfectly flat and don't look like there is any elesatic. I have found that the elastic is great in keeping the waist the same tension no matter how many days in a row you wear them. As I had a week off around the holidays, I tested this theory by wearing my desert Tan pair for 7 days straight. Even after that they still felt like a fresh pair. Nothing felt stretched out or extra baggy. As for sizing, they are TRUE to size. If you measure 32", buy 32" waist. The legs run a little long. My inseam is 33-1/2 inches. Usually that means that I have to wear a 34" inseam. With Vertx, just like Mtn Khaki, I have to wear a 32" inseam.

Best of all you can get these pants for $50. Here are some reviews and other sites regarding the pants.

Not me, but an example of the pants.

vertx18.jpg

vertx15.jpg

Review:

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/garments.4.html

Homepage:

http://www.wearvertx.com/VertxMensPant.aspx

Retailer:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=18898&TabID=548

Videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBG-52rdHL8"]YouTube - VERTX Low Profile Tactical Pant by U.S. Cavalry[/ame]

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Update: After washing these they have held up great. No shrinking or fading. They were washed in cold and hung to dry. I expect these to hold up just fine to weeks in the field or daily street wear.

Andy G

Adventurer
I love my Mountain Khaki's but can't see paying 80 bucks per pair. I'm gonna order a pair of these and see how they fit and work out for me.

Thanks for posting about them!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Spicy,

Since I did not directly call it out, if it helps I wear a 32X32 in Mtn Khakis. I purchased this same size in Vertx Pants and would say the waist and length seem just about equal between the two.

lamontagne

Adventurer
How do the leg openings measure? I have a pair of the 5.11 tac-lite pants and I love everything about them except the small legs. I can barely get them over a pair of boots.
One of the things I like the most about my MK's are the generous legs.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
lamontagne,

I just measured the cuffs on the Vertx pants and they are 9.5". Which just so happens to be the exact measurement of the Mtn Khakis I have as well.

Here is a quote from the www.militarymoron.com review that confirms my measurement.

"Wider cuffs/ankle opening - The cuffs on the VERTX pant are a bit wider than most others. I measured them to be 9.5" - most of my other pants are from 8" (the tightest) to 9". They're wider to accommodate boots, and to better conceal a back-up weapon/ankle holster. Also, the knee is wider than a regular trouser, hence the wider bottom."
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

Sabre07

Observer
Yup. Good pants, I wear them daily at work. The only problem I have encountered is when my pocket change makes like a winning slot machine when I lean back on certain furniture. Note to self: empty pockets before napping.

HARABAS

Observer
X2 on Vertx Pants. Ordered a pair of the dessert tan last week from www.tacticaldistributors.com. They processed it fast and upgraded standard shipping to overnight.

As a reference, I wear a 34/32 Arcteryx and ordered the same size for the Vertx. Comparatively, the Vertx was a tad tighter on the waist and longer in the inseam. I mistakenly presumed it would be the same since the Vertx is designed by Arcteryx.

First fit I wasn't too wild about. It's baggier than the standard Arcteryx fit. Wore the pants new (unwashed) and noticed dirt clung to the fabric too easily when brushing up against a wall or my truck's fender. But after a few washer/dryer sessions, the fabric "broke in" and now I can pat the dirt off. I also noticed the fit seemed to have become less baggy. Probably a result of the fabric softening, wrapping the legs better. Out of the drier the waist closed in a tad, but relaxes to original fit during wear. I tossed it in the dryer dry to shrink the inseam a bit and it worked just enough to correct the fit. In an ideal world, more pants would be available with a 31 inseam, but that's life.

Build quality is definitely good. Seams are double stitched. Gusseted crotch and elastic waist adds to comfort and mobility. Stretch fabric moves well with the body. Low profile cargo pockets are positioned for easy access. Not too high nor too low. It features an interior gun mag pocket that fits a smart phone well. The cargo pocket has a taut flap that eliminates the need for a zipper or velcro to secure. The side pockets are roomy, takes a small clipped folding knife well and accommodates pocketed hands even with a knife. Only issue is the functionality of the concealed seam zippered pocket within the right side pocket is hindered when a folding knife is clipped in.

Suggested improvements would be to redesign the seam zippered pocket on the right or move it to the left pocket or create a separate knife specific pocket.

Overall, these are a great, highly recommended pair of pants. The cotton /lycra blend holds up well to outdoor abuse. After the "break in" period, the pants have become much more comfortable. Having used it a few times, I can say that the design of the pockets are intuitive and sized right. I'll be ordering a pair in the OD color in a larger size to fit a pair of base layers for cooler temps.

will

Adventurer
How are these pants in warmer weather? Do the breathe well? I'm needing some good warm weather pants and have been considering these.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
They seem to breath like any other cotton canvas pants of similar weight. I can tell they will be much cooler than the Mtn Khakis.

Rossetti MJ

The Vertx pants are the best made pants that I have ever owned...They were designed by Arcteryx and Fechheimer in conjunction with the US Military Special Operations.

I now have four pair, two of which were sent to me to test. I have worn them in 100+ degree temps working at the shooting range to hunting for ten days in Northern South Africa. They hold up better than any military type cargo pant that I have worn over the last 26 years of service.

Fechheimer has gone through a few sizing changes since they developed the Vertx pant. They are now working on a lightweight version.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
When you say sizing changes do you mean that a 32" from 6months ago might not be the same as 32" now?

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I hope sizing hasn't changed. I ordered a couple pairs and they're on backorder until early May... guess I'll just be waiting.

cdm

Adventurer
They are awesome except, they are the worst material i have touched in terms of attracting hair. Pretty much nullifies them for pet owners unless you use a hair slick to brush them every 5 minutes.

I now carry a hair slick in my pocket. Just not sure i'll buy many pairs because it is a major hassle.

No issues in cold or warm weather. Tested up to 90 and humid.

They feel close to the blackhawk contractor grade but more flexible and light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles