Callen Campers still in business?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Anyone been in contact recently with Callen?

I've tried calling several times but both of the phone #'s listed on their website go to a "Verizon customer unavailable" message. No response via email either.

:confused:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I just had someone come up to me yesterday as I was going for a surf that asked that same question. She said she'd been calling with no response for a while. I don't think I have any need to be out by El Cajon in the near future, but if I am, I'll check out their shop, and see if there's life.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I drove by there a few weeks ago and they still had campers in their lot but I can't get onto their web site. It is a shame if they went out of business but the quality had been going down since the son took over.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I drove by there a few weeks ago and they still had campers in their lot but I can't get onto their web site. It is a shame if they went out of business but the quality had been going down since the son took over.
Thanks for the replies.
The website was working fine yesterday afternoon. I just clicked on the address and now it's gone. Bummer.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.
The website was working fine yesterday afternoon. I just clicked on the address and now it's gone. Bummer.

Bummer? Maybe. But I haven't heard anyone say that buying a new camper was worth while from them lately. I bought mine used, largely because Callen screwed up the original purchaser's order, and he just wasn't happy.

TWHuntFish

Still there..

I received an email from Tammy, she stated they are still in business.
Scott has been having problems with the phone lines. I called at 4:30 and had a bad connection with a lot of static, no answer....but I left work early too.

Last edited:

Fish

Adventurer
Drove by a few weeks ago and there looked to still be in business.

As others have stated, Scott has really screwed up the place. I did get my shell, exactly as spec'd, but it took a long time. There are a few things that they could have done differently, but in the end, it's what I ordered. That was just over a year ago.

Frankly, someone needs to go kick Scott's butt. Or needs to go make him an offer he won't refuse and buy the place. It ain't rocket science.

On edit: Oh yeah... I believe the Bel Air shells are wood frame. The Callen's are steel framed. Big difference.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Consider the phones/website not working a teeny tiny insight into things to come if you attempt to do business with them. That's a typical business glitch and I would normally ignore it, but not these guys. The nightmare stories of people I know well in dealing with Callen are not to be believed. (I'll tell you in person sometime if you like)

Agree with Fish, the best thing that could happen for them is for someone to buy the company while the name still has some value.

ExpoMike

It's always sad to see a company, that was built up with an original founder/owner, to completely go downhill when someone else takes over for whatever reason (death, buyout, etc.). I have seen it so many times through out the years. :(

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Consider the phones/website not working a teeny tiny insight into things to come if you attempt to do business with them. That's a typical business glitch and I would normally ignore it, but not these guys. The nightmare stories of people I know well in dealing with Callen are not to be believed. (I'll tell you in person sometime if you like)

Agree with Fish, the best thing that could happen for them is for someone to buy the company while the name still has some value.

Is that a new truck in your profile pic? What happened to the four wheel camper?

Re: Callen. The comment about the phones being a sample is well taken. My sample is that when I bought my shell, it was at the Callen shop. He had never given the original owner one of the features bought and paid for, so he was going to do the install for free, and I would give the dough to the seller. Well, there were hassles over that, and then he found things to charge me for when we were half way through the process....

Also, I bought it with a couple of dings in the interior paneling. No big deal, but I figured he had the materials, I would get a quote. I have never heard so many excuses about why he didn't want to do the work. I mean, either quote me a price that makes it worth while, or say you don't want to do repairs.

Then it took forever holding on to my truck, then he put my truck outside the yard after hours for pickup, with my tailgate still locked inside the shop, and nobody around. That took another couple weeks to get.

So it's not like he ripped me off, but I sure wouldn't want to be a couple grand into a project and be counting on him.

suntinez

Explorer
Is that a new truck in your profile pic? What happened to the four wheel camper?

That's my Tundra w/flippac in the pic, I don't have a FWC. But my Tiger is a kissin cousin to the FWC built on an astrovan platform, may be what you're thinking of.

How about a group buy!

There's enough talented expo-ites in San Diego area I think a buyout of Callen would be great, but it's a big leap into the unknown.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A month in rehab would work wonders for the guy and possibly save the company. I've owned three Callens.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
That's my Tundra w/flippac in the pic, I don't have a FWC. But my Tiger is a kissin cousin to the FWC built on an astrovan platform, may be what you're thinking of.

My bad. I was confusing you with member Sun Man. He's got a Tundra/FWC combo.

Fish

Adventurer
There's enough talented expo-ites in San Diego area I think a buyout of Callen would be great, but it's a big leap into the unknown.

One of the excuses I heard on my build was that his welder had quit. So I one of my backup plans was to bring my own guy and use Callen's jigs.... and not pay a penny more. In other words, as said earlier... it's not rocket science. Seems like with a few guys there, you oughtta be able to pump out 3-4 shells a week. With the right guys, you could add in different lighting, electrical, amenity and comm packages. I know there's a few things I wanted to do to mine, but didn't because I just wanted the damn thing done.

The question is; what's the market like? I'm guessing that there's less travel to Mex than there used to be. Have potential purchasers moved elsewhere already?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94