Callen Campers still in business?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Just noticed the website says Jim Callen has returned to manage the company.

GaryMc

Explorer
So, if I bought this Callen yesterday, off of the local Craigslist, for $500 I got a deal, right? :ylsmoke:

It fits perfect and is pretty minty fresh. :)

Attachments

• callen.jpg
    callen.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
So, if I bought this Callen yesterday, off of the local Craigslist, for $500 I got a deal, right? :ylsmoke:
That's a GREAT deal. Good job.

FWIW- just this past summer I've seen that exact same Callen model (some have the smooth sided aluminum) on numerous trucks in CA, CO, ID, WA, OR... That doesn't include the other models + all the Callen trailers I've seen while traveling the Western U.S.

Kinda makes you wonder how many units they've sold over the years? I'm guessing quite a few.

chet6.7

Explorer
2005-Ford-F350-w-Wedge-770x422.jpg

I have looked at the Tradesman site,their shell seems to have a lot of seams.
It looks like they build a basic model,then add material(look just above the window) to increase the height.
Then the wedge adds some additional seams,I don't know if there is a way around that.
I wonder about leaks at the seams?
Your thoughts?
Anyone have anyexperience with this company?

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I live in San Diego and there's practically a Callen on every block in my neighborhood. One house around the corner has two in the driveway, one On a drivable Toyota, another on an older truck that hasn't moved in years.

Most of the owners I've talked to have heard rumors that the son of the original owner inherited the operation, then destroyed the company with terrible Business practices. It's really a shame because many of the products themselves have held up for decades.

I bought mine used last spring and just got back from my fourth trip into Baja this year. It didn't have the roofrack but I prefer to keep things inside, to look less touristy on trips. Plus it's tall enough without additional items on top.

It's been bombproof: none of the sand and dust leaks inside that I used to have with my Leer fiberglass shell during similar trips. Great for winter camping: insulated, dry, out of the wind.

Sliding side windows with sturdy screens, basic crank up roof vent and double-wide doors on the back with full length stainless piano hinges provide good ventilation.

I see a few for sale on local craigslist pretty much every month. Their construction is solid and roomy. This last trip I carried a small kayak inside along with pelican cooler that doubled as the base for a sleeping platform.

image.jpgI have yet to see anything else like it; they love them in Baja.

image.jpg. image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94