Snowshoeing - Kodiak, Alaska style

Andy G

Adventurer
That means MOUNTAINS! :bouncesmile:

Took a little snowshoe / mountain climb trip today up Pyramid Mountain, here on Kodiak. Thought you'd like to see a few pictures from the trip.

Even though Pyramid is only a few miles from the Coast Guard base and from town, it's dangerous all the time. A somber reminder of how fragile life can be...
1149759233_jbs2x-XL.jpg

Panorama shot from about 1500' or so. Pyramid is behind me, this is overlooking Anton Larson Bay.
1149759450_2jpeb-X2.jpg

Another panorama shot, this one from about 1700' or so. Pyramid Mtn is the peak to the left, and directly in front of the sunshine is Barometer Mtn.
1149759819_pXo5S-X2.jpg

Yours truly at 1700'. Didn't go any higher than this today because I was traveling solo...
1149760527_CTNfz-XL.jpg

View from the parking lot, looking back up at Pyramid.
1149761528_2Zxke-X2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

All pictures taken with my iPhone 4.

ywen

Explorer
nice pics! Looks like it was a good time. I planned on snow shoeing in RMNP around NYE during my recent trip but -18 / -40 wind chill was prohibitive :)

Curious... I own a pair of Denali Classic, very similar to your Ascent. After only a few uses, the steel crampons have rusted. The silver paint is actually peeling off from the crampons teeth. Are you Ascents showing the same? I wonder if it's okay just leaving it like that or would I need to do some work to remove the rust?

Andy G

Adventurer
nice pics! Looks like it was a good time. I planned on snow shoeing in RMNP around NYE during my recent trip but -18 / -40 wind chill was prohibitive :)

Curious... I own a pair of Denali Classic, very similar to your Ascent. After only a few uses, the steel crampons have rusted. The silver paint is actually peeling off from the crampons teeth. Are you Ascents showing the same? I wonder if it's okay just leaving it like that or would I need to do some work to remove the rust?

Have had mine since 2000/2001, and no rust on them at all. I wonder if they were made differently?

I'd think you'll be fine leaving it that way...although it wouldn't hurt to remove the rust and shoot 'em with some WD or something to prevent further rust from forming.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
WD will keep the heavy wet snow from caking under foot in the crampon area also. Nice trip BTW!

ywen

Explorer
Hmm mine looks like the silver paint on the crampon is peeling.. revealing the bare metal underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles