Another 4x4 van plan

Overlandtowater

Ok I am making this thread so I don't hi-jack some one else' thread.
I am a newbe to the overland thing always wanted to do it so what I am gonna try to build is a E1,2,or 350 van. First off what would be the best for overland adventure gas or diesel? My problem is I can only find gas burners locally and at a decent price are the 5.4's and the 351's. So between the two engines wich one would be better? What about a 300 I/6? LOL I know I will have to run lower gears for the gassers but I am willing to do that, yeah I know millage will drop.

As for the axles I am planning on putting a 10.5 rear in it with a D60 front so the 1/2 ton stuff would be taken out besides the rear leafs. Now on to the leafs are the 3/4 and up leafs wider than the 1/2 tons? (that will help with sway) but I would like the flex of a thinner leaf so I can be swayed (no pun intended) both ways. What I thought about was longer/taller shackles on the rear for extra droop.(desert guy thing) on the 3/4 ton leafs if they are wider. so I will have to get an extra 1" or two of lift in the rear to sit level.

How I will use the rig.
I wont be doing any rock crawling or mud bogging with the van so I can live with low power,(I used to drive a stock samurai with swampers), My main purpose for this van is a get to "that" fishing spot ( in swamp east Missouri the fishing spots can be way out of the way) with all the family, camp and explore, the occasional trail ride threw the woods and river bottoms. Just a weekend light duty wheeler.

I am thinking 35" a/t's on 16 x 8" wheels if they will fit over the brakes. LS rear and open front diffs, 4:56 gears.

I hope you can make sense of all that. Thanks for the help and a great forum!!!:victory:

xracer144

Adventurer
We have several Fords with the 5.4l in them. The motor in the pickup is the 300 plus HP version and actually not bad on fuel for 4x4 powertrains. The vans are a different story. They use the detuned version in them, somewhere around 265 HP. It sure doesn't feel like 265. The vans are pretty sucked out even unloaded and the fuel mileage, especially in the winter cold right now, is very poor. I have never checked the actual mileage, but I would be surprised if it was over 10mpg. With the added weight of the 4x4 set up, i would go with the V10.

Overlandtowater

Is the power issue just a tune? I plan on running highflow exhaust and a air intake plumbing(cai) so with those two things and a tune I should be pretty close to the power of a pick up.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Get a 4.9 fuel injected inline 6, 300 ci for the older guys. I am a mechanic and am glad that Ford didn't put that engine in all their trucks and vans or I would have a lot less work. It would be my first choice, second would be a 7.3 powerstroke. Stay away from the 6.0 diesels unless you have lots of money for repairs. The Triton motors are ok, just make sure you keep them topped off on oil, they are very unforgiving on being run low or anywhere close to low. The 4.9 might not be as powerful as some of the other engines but it is bulletproof.

xracer144

Adventurer
Is the power issue just a tune? I plan on running highflow exhaust and a air intake plumbing(cai) so with those two things and a tune I should be pretty close to the power of a pick up.

I doubt you will really gain all that much from those 2 mods. Forget about HP numbers on paper though. I believe seat of the pants HP is a way better indication of what you are gonna get. Go down to your local Ford dealer and take a brand new one for a ride. Mash the gas peddle to floor and see if it makes you happy.

Like I said earlier, we have several of the 5.4L trucks and vans in the work fleet. The vans are ho hum and hard on fuel. I had an Expedition with the 305 HP 5.4 L. It was pretty lethargic. I drove my buddies Nissan Armada with a 315 HP 5.6L. I thought how much better is 10 HP gonna be? The Armada is an absolute bullet compared to the Expedition. I now own an Armada. Its not as plush as the Expedition, but the seat of the pants fun factor is double!

Overlandtowater

I have been looking at a FI 351 clubwagon down the road from me he is only wanting 1250.00 for it has 144xxx miles on it. should I buy or wait out for something newer?

xracer144

Adventurer
I had a 351m in my '79 shortbox 4x4. It was pretty modded out. I'm guessing somewhere around 375-400hp. That doesnt seem like much nowadays with some of the new truck pumping out a claimed 300-320 stock. But that '79 was sure quick and pretty baddass. Considering everything that was done to it, it was still reliable enough. It is very old school compared to todays motors. Super easy to work on. Fond memories and good times!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
For 1250 I would jump all over that a 300/6 will get about 2 or three mpgs better than the 351 when empty and the 351 will have decent power. My last van had a 351 in a 15 pass with 440k on the odometer motor still ran great but the tranny went out. I used to tow my bronco all over southern mo with it when I live out there, towing in the mountains in colorado are what killed the transmission though.
Derek

BCHauler

Adventurer
I have been looking at a FI 351 clubwagon down the road from me he is only wanting 1250.00 for it has 144xxx miles on it. should I buy or wait out for something newer?

I had an 94 f150 with the 5.8 and it was a good motor. Power and torque were decent. Used to get 12-ish mpg around town. Highway mileage I could see as high as 16-18. I liked that motor and would have bought another truck with one if I hadn't stumbled upon the v10 crew.

Overlandtowater

so do you think with say 4.56 gears the van would be able to pull 35's with a 4x4 conversion? and still by drivable on the highway.

xracer144

Adventurer
I think that with a semi built 351 or a V10 you could pull that off. A 5.4L would be even worse on fuel and have less snap.

Overlandtowater

I test drove the van yesterday and it did impress me on how the 351 pulled. It is power windows, locks, it has tilt and cruse, new 10 ply at's I just wish I had 1200. bucks:drool:

I do think the valve cover gaskets are leaking on it but that should be pretty easy to replace

I noticed back behind the driver side rear wheel there are some lines that run back there they look like they have fuel line locks on them one of those is broke (maybe a return line) or do those vans have a heater core back there too for the over head heat?

those are the only two things I seen wrong besides not having the back three rows of seats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94