Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

wildorange

Observer
Having filtered through all 17 pages and reluctantly avoiding the 'camera specific forums' I'm seeking advice on a others guidance on a future purchase, i already own a couple of DSLR's however I'd like to narrow my focus on a travel friendly compact.

Ideally for my needs and requirements, I maybe be over ambitious in this but looking for:

10mp and above
Hot shoe facility
Fold out LCD screen

Brand isn't vitally important, however a decent customer service and support is and the nearest I've found to date is a Canon Powershot G1X mk2, even though this is at the top end of my budget 2nd hand/refurbished will be an option.

Hope I've covered everything and if anyone can recommend or guide it would be warmly appreciated.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I think the best compact travel camera out right now is the Sony RX100IV.
I've got the RX100 mkIII but I feel the same way. It's basically my "Walkaround" camera I can put in my pocket, plus I keep it in the Truck all the time if I want to take pictures and I left my "fullsize" camera at home.

Camera sensors recently have gotten amazing, I think any camera made in the last 3-5 years is going to be capable of great things; the question is what additional features you want it to have. Extra money you should be spending on advanced compacts right now is for lens capabilities: bigger apertures and/or more zoom.

DSLRs are still going to be the most capable but the disdain DSLR users have for compact cameras is misplaced now. The drawbacks are small enough that if you know how to work around them you can take amazing shots with compacts, especially since landscape travel shots generally avoid all the shortcomings compacts have.

Fall sunset in Little Cottonwood Canyon. by Dustin, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke