Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

Scott Brady

Founder
Camera technology is changing rapidly, leaving many single-purpose devices to the history books. Consolidation of platforms is allowing the adventure traveler to document at a higher quality and with less bulk to carry around.

I thought it would be worthwhile to explore compact photography/videography platforms and share our experiences, opinions, thoughts, etc. A sampling of images would be great as well.

From my perspective, there are three classes of compact digital/HDV cameras on the market and all three are worth considering.

Ultra-Compact:

These are extremely small cameras and none will have interchangeable lenses. This segment is experiencing a shift upmarket and is under considerable pressure from the smartphone devices. If you consider the images and video an iPhone 4 will produce, it is understandable. However, the smartphones (any of the popular ones) lack optical zooms and are still in the 5-8mp range and without RAW capability. So for now, we can leave the smartphone out of this discussion, though they are certainly worth having, especially as a back-up to a compact or ultra compact primary device.

Based on my experience and research, I see the following units as best of breed. Please add you own and we can update the list here.

Wicked: Sony DSC-TX100v with 16mp and 1080 HDV. Oh, and 3D
DSC-HX7_Blue-001.jpg

Bombproof: Panasonic Lumix TS1. Waterproof
lumix-dmc-ts1.jpg

Compact travel zoom:

I have done a lot of photography with the Leica D-Lux, including print editorial from my trip on the Trans-America Trail (for Overland Journal and MotoUSA). The images can be surprisingly good.
TAT_Utah_Purple.jpg

Sexy: Panasonic Lumix LX5
panasonic-LX5_flash.jpg

Feature-rich and durable: Canon G12
canon_g12_slant_550-thumb-470x346-6165.jpg

Interesting: Ricoh GRX
intro-001.jpg

Compact EVIL Cameras: While not super small, this new class of cameras packs some serious punch and image quality. They make for a perfect back-up system or primary for adventure moto trips or ultra-light travel. I find this class of cameras very appealing and reminiscent of the old rangefinders that captured much of the 1900s.

Olympus PEN Cameras: Classic and use micro 4/3 lenses (4/3 with an adapter)
front-001.jpg

Sony NX-5: Super small and still 1080 HDV capable. Metal chassis.
NEX-5_with_16mm-001.jpg

Panasonic GH1 and GH2: Install that Leica M-Mount adapter and make even a 1D Mark blah blah blush.
intro-001.jpg

Conspicuously absent is anything in the EVIL class from Canon or Nikon - I expect that will change quickly

Scott Brady

Founder
The more I research these types of cameras, the more I find them interesting and relevant to my needs. They continue to close the gap between stealthiness, compactness and image quality. To capture a great image you must have a camera with you.

I am leaning towards the new Sony CyberShot, although the NX5 Sony allows for some more flexibility.

Currently, I use the Leica D-LUX 3 as my pocket camera.

What is everyone else using?

photoman

Explorer
I view cameras more on pocket size as a measurement.

I was looking for a small camera and had a really hard time passing on Canon G12. The Canon G12 is what I consider a coat pocket camera where as I was looking for a pants/jeans pocket camera. I went with the Canon S95. I just wish it had an external flash as well as the built in flash.

My other cameras include:

Oly E-300
Oly E-3
Canon 7D

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I've tried a lot of cameras and for my money I'd still go with a good point and shoot and a DSLR. I currently have a Canon S90 as my pocket cam. It has pretty good sub ISO 800 image quality, good manual controls, the lens ring is ingenious, build quality is decent, and it's pocketable. We also have a G9, which doesn't get much use anymore but took great images as well. It also stood up to a lot of abuse, and survived everything from the cold of Canadian winters to the heat and humidity of tropical rain forests, a credit to Canon. I also briefly had an Olympus EP-2 but didn't like it. The image quality was OK, but the ergonomics and menu layout was maddening and I just didn't enjoy using it.
825086684_r9GvC-S.jpg
1002583479_E4ZTi-S.jpg

S90 sample
1029759170_5a83T-S.jpg

G9 samples
780744221_Nf83A-S.jpg
785033136_zLooB-S.jpg

I also use a Holga, Nikon D7000 and D700. The last two I still wouldn't part with for anything smaller at this point though, even while travelling,...which I'll be doing this week. If was looking to go as light as possible on a trip and wanted to carry just one system for both HD-V and stills I choose my D7000, 2 lenses, my Gitzo Traveller with RRS BH-30, and that'd be it. Of course every camera choice needs to be balanced against our output goals.

Last edited:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
My best of breed list would include the Canon S95 for the sub, hands down. Nikon P7000, Canon G12, and Samsung EX1 for compact zoom, and Panasonic GF1 for EVIL. Of course if you have deep pockets you could also get yourself a Leica M9.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Canon all the way!

S95 for the pocket camera
G7 for my grab shot camera (I carry it a lot)
SD1000 for mountain biking pictures. I mount it on the handle bars or throw it in the hydration pack. So cheap used, I won't cry if I break it.
SD600 for underwater and beach - only cause I bought the Canon case for it.

My daily work cameras are a 5d Mark II and 1d Mark IV

All this from a 25 year Nikon shooter. Even their P&S are not appealing to me. I got my daughter a L90? last Christmas... it was horrible.

I am waiting to replace my G7 with a Micro 4/3 (Evil) camera. I am hoping a legacy product comes out soon.

ThomD

Explorer
OK, you s95 owners. I handled an s90 in the store and really did not like how loose that rear dial felt. Did they make it stiffer? Have you had any problems with accidentally changing settings?

BTW, the TZ-1 is gone and the TZ-2 is almost out of stock. The newer TZ-10 is only 35mm at the "wide" end, vs 28mm on the other two.

Add to the list - Olympus XZ-1. Only 10Mp! (maybe the mega pixel wars really are over!) f/1.8-2.5, 28mm-112mm, min focus distance 1cm.

I've got my Pany G2 as my "serious" walk around and I'm still rocking an LX2 as the "pocket" cam. My FZ50 is semi retired.

Isn't it nice tohave so many great options?

4xdog

Explorer
I had a Canon S90 for a time, but that "loose" ring really bugged me, plus the fact that I really couldn't get any bokeh during realistic shooting conditions. Yes, I'd be interested in S95 comments, too.

I have a Canon Powershot SD870 IS that consistently turns into my carry camera. Nothing special, but it's fast, light, has a big screen for its size, and good for fitting in any pocket. I take at least a hundred photos with it for every one with my DSLR. The Canon's awful with motion shots -- I gotta get back to playing with the CHDK firmware hack to see if some of the phenomenal range of settings it allows one to change makes a difference.

taco2go

Explorer
Panasonic GF1 with 20mm/ 1.7 Amazing sketchpad, with plenty of handy dials.

1038234425_aC5rL-M.jpg
1026017541_ZSs5A-M.jpg

I have a 70-300mm lens I use less often.

Overdrive

Adventurer
The very compact 14.3 megapixel Sony NEX-5 uses the same size sensor as most DSLR's--meaning a larger sensor than other compacts. While you won't see the difference in image quality of the various sensor sizes by looking at photos on the web, you will notice a difference when you print.

The NEX-5 looks somewhat abnormal because the lens is bigger than the camera...this is a good thing!

It will also do in-camera stitching for panoramic shots and in-camera HDR--both have a place in documenting your travels. After much research, I came close to buying one, but opted for a larger DSLR instead. Would still like to have a NEX-3 (I don't need the video of the -5.)

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles