Better articulation with airbags or sway bars

The truck is a 1996 Ford F150 1/2 ton, Centurion Conversion Crew Cab with a

7.5 foot bed. I am wondering if instead of a sway bar, I use air bags for

stability, will I have better articulation. Or will the air helpers limit

articulation as much as the rear sway bar. I havent tried removing the SB

yet to see if I even need it. The truck still gets loaded to the max from time

to time, I think that would be the only time I would be worried about sway.

Thanks
Mike

bftank

Explorer
air bags can help control sway if mounted with separate air systems. you could put a valve in to separate the air systems for the bags and then when you needed articulation open the valve. you might look at the carli airbags for a longer travel bag ment for articulation.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The airbags, assuming you don't have them tied together (allowing air to move from one bag to the other) will help reduce sway by increasing total spring rate all the time (even when driving strait down the road).

The sway bar (technically, an anti-sway bar) helps reduce sway by increasing total spring rate only when one side is under a heavier load (like when you are turning a corner).

Either one will work, but all other things being equal, and assuming your OEM springs are the appropriate rate for your load, the sway bar will give you a softer ride than using air bags.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Make sure the air bags are rated for the extended length they will be seeing. They don't stretch very well.

blakeape

Adventurer
I mounted the Pac Brake air bags on my 1997 Cummins so that the frame mount is fixed, but the axle end is floating and can never be stretched too far. It straddles the spring pack with a "C" type bracket I made. No problems for the past few years.
P7200001.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz