iphone4 for navigation

Expedition Key

Adventurer
I was looking for info here on what the latest and greatest gps combo was, and feeling guilty about the money I was sure to drop on a good setup....

After a few threads and some googling, I picked up my iphone on the bedside table, curious about it's potential, and I downloaded this: " http://itunes.apple.com/app/topo-maps/id306014271 "
from the app store in a matter of seconds for 7.99.

It's the complete USGS grid of the United States, the program is setup simply as grid, and then you download the grid area you are interested in(no extra charge). each grid takes about 5 seconds to download. I've just been playing around with it and it looks like it will suit my needs.

The gps has me pinned down at my house for the moment, and the rest of the world I'd like to be exploring is fully displayed. waiting for my little blue dot to couragesly explore all it has to offer.
I'll have to see how it performs in the real world. I'll be doing an off road adventure this week in the Sierras in search of gold after these heavy storms. I'll be in and out of cell area, so I'll report my findings on how the gps performed. Pray for me to stike it rich haha ;)...I've got gold fever

Anyway, I'll report back with my findings.

Last edited:

eli

Observer
iphone 4 for navigation

Looking forward to your observations . . . I have the iphone 3G and it never ceases to amaze but I have to admit the screen size for me (due to my age/eye site) is an issue. The iphone for me is very useful, just hard for me to see . . . gettn old Sucks! lol . . .:coffee:

Expedition Key

Adventurer
Just returned from my trip, verdict.....iphone GPS not so hot without cell assistance!

It did work without any cell reception, and was accurate for the first leg of my trip, but about an hour after I lost cell reception in the foothills around Iowa hill in the Tahoe National Forest, the GPS threw me about an eighth of a mile off of where I actually was.

I checked the GPS every 10 minutes or so over the day all over the TNF and down to Hell Hole Reservoir and it was consistently off by quite a bit (sometimes over a mile). The compass also reoriented itself at random which proved to be the most frustrating.

I'm now in the market for a good GPS, any suggestions?

llirttoc

I have been looking and researching hand helds for a couple months. Was surprised to find out Magellan has a trade in program. :wings: I really wanted the explorist model but they are pricy. Then found out magie would give me $220 for an eight year old broken Sport Track Pro. Boom. I'm getting the explorist 710 for $329. Score! This thing will do every thing but wipe your *** and make a phone call. Check them out.

chet

island Explorer
I have an ipod touch and use gaia for Topo use and a free turn by turn for street called navfree. I have looking at the xgps251 for GPS as it can be used out of the vehicle but I found a great xmas deal on the tomtom car kit for $60 it is extremely accurate and quick to get a signal and can play music through my stereo with a cable as well as charge my ipod. Will work for iphones as well. cheapest GPS setup I could find and I still have all my music, games, contacts, journal etc.

ccarm

Adventurer
There are external GPS units that you plug into computers/tablets, is there one out there for the iphone? Just an idea that if priced below that of other stand alone GPS units could yield quality GPS info to the iphone.

trivial

I use Navigon on my 4th Gen iPhone with a Tomtom cradle. Very happy with the setup but I only use it to navigate roads. You are probably looking for something that will work off the beaten path...

chet

island Explorer
the new spot connect is what I would get now. It gains you a bluetooth gps, and spot functions. for around $170. Apparently the GPS will work without a spot subscription and you can roam up to 30' away from the unit without losing signal.

dzzz

Anyone else using Navigon?
I've used it for a couple thousand miles of street navigation. Pretty much flawless so far. Makes good choices when to talk. Route choices are good. The native iphone map app is better for looking at a specific locations. These two apps complement each other well.

This is the first better paid iphone gps app I've used. Don't know how it compares to Tom Tom and some of the others.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I've had Navigon since it came out and absolutely love it even when offroad. It works the same no matter if I have cell service or not.

earthmuffin

Observer
MotionX is another great app for the iphone 4.

It allows you to preload maps. I did 900 miles of dirt on my motorcycle last year, mostly out of cell range and I was impressed to say the least. It also allow you to import tracks.

expeditionerd

Observer
Another vote for Navigon here. Except the Address entry bit, and POI Search and the Google Assisted "Local Search", which is total rubbish, once you've finally manage to enter the address, it's flawless. The Navigon North America download comes with all maps built in, so it works no problem without a cellphone reception. This version costs a hefty $60, but at least to my personal experience, it's been absolutely worth it.

The traffic pack adds live traffic information and I've used it quite heavily during my commute. If there's traffic jams ahead, it will suggest alternative routes automatically.

It also learns your preferred routes based on your driving habits.

Navigon is an app that shows it's been designed and engineered the right way. It's a quite sophisticated piece of engineering, and even though the Address and POI entry are really bad, I still give it 2 thumbs up.

Scott Brady

Founder
All I use for international travel is the iPhone. However, I do use a GPS for reliable tracking of our route. A high-quality GPS can also be necessary in areas of crevasse and mines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz