What heater is in the XV-JP?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I pretty sure that it's an Espar unit; I'll verify that the next time I have the panel off. It works OK, but in common with this type of heater, diesel or petrol, once the unit is on, the fan is running. The thermostat varies the amount of fuel to moderate temperatures, rather than turning the unit on and off. Having the heater running all of the time annoys some people (we'll, me, at least ;) ). Otherwise, it's a fine unit. Don't be surprised, though, to find it'll set you back something around $2K if you buy a new unit.

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Don't be surprised, though, to find it'll set you back something around $2K if you buy a new unit.

Sorta figured but doesn't hurt to poke around when something new crosses your path (I hadn't realized the Espar units did the gasoline variant before).

18seeds

Explorer
Having the heater running all of the time annoys some people (we'll, me, at least ;) ). Otherwise, it's a fine unit. Don't be surprised, though, to find it'll set you back something around $2K if you buy a new unit.

Is it louder than your typical RV Furnace?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I loved the heater in your XV-JP, Mike. The white noise it provided through the night allowed me to keep my sanity while I was camped alone, in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have to hear critters clawing at the side of the vehicle threatening to maul me... or rest stop perverts lurking below, plotting to have their way with me and kill me.

As long as I'm completely alone and scared, I'm totally cool with the white noise generated by the Espar heater.

Furthermore, it put no discernible dent in the fuel level of the vehicle by the following morning, and the output was hot enough to singe leg hairs near the source.

JRhetts

Adventurer
...Furthermore, ... the output was hot enough to singe leg hairs near the source.

Yep!! I measured the temp on the output of ours in the XVLT; the reading was a surprising 240°F!! It sure did burn the ankles if you stood too close!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If your looking for something a little less expensive, and propane isn't a problem, then the heater AT offers would be a good alternative. Forced air with a thermostat, on/off controlled by thermostat.

The unit comes as a kit ready to install.

pods8

Explorer
If your looking for something a little less expensive, and propane isn't a problem, then the heater AT offers would be a good alternative. Forced air with a thermostat, on/off controlled by thermostat.

The unit comes as a kit ready to install.

Another good looking product. It has an obvious perk of good efficiency in a ducted installation which is nice. However from my standpoint if I'm sticking with propane (and I likely am) its hard to disregard the economics of an Atwood 8012 for instance. It does require some more considerations in installation due to the exhaust out the back and heat only out the front though. That would be tough in a XV-JP but I'll be building a pop-up truck camper, I was just inquiring about the XV-JP heater since I noticed it was gasoline and was curious about removing the need for propane in my build.

AT HS2000 6483 BTU, 1.4amps $780

Atwood 8012 9160 BTU (output), 1.8amps $430

What's your sales pitch on benefits I might be overlooking for the AT unit?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Is it louder than your typical RV Furnace?
Might be noiser than a ducted RV system, but definitely quieter than a direct output RV unit like a Suburban propane heater.

The point made above by Chris is spot on. The constant noise is just whirring fan noise, and there would be numerous situations--camping near a roadway, for example--where the constant sound would be a feature.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Another good looking product. It has an obvious perk of good efficiency in a ducted installation which is nice. However from my standpoint if I'm sticking with propane (and I likely am) its hard to disregard the economics of an Atwood 8012 for instance. It does require some more considerations in installation due to the exhaust out the back and heat only out the front though. That would be tough in a XV-JP but I'll be building a pop-up truck camper, I was just inquiring about the XV-JP heater since I noticed it was gasoline and was curious about removing the need for propane in my build.

What's your sales pitch on benefits I might be overlooking for the AT unit?

Quality-Construction-Components-Efficiency

Of course there are choices out there, but the reason for the cost differences are there as well.

pods8

Explorer
Quality-Construction-Components-Efficiency

Of course there are choices out there, but the reason for the cost differences are there as well.

Understood. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a big feature I was over looking. The ducted system definitely has appeal as I mentioned before but needs to be weighted to build priorities accordingly.

18seeds

Explorer

I really like the Propex HS2800 solution. It is more expensive. In the end I have always gone with a stardard RV furnace and WAVE 3 heater

DSC00400.jpg

Having dual heat sources is nice and for the price you can't beat it.

pods8

Explorer
I really like the Propex HS2800 solution. It is more expensive. In the end I have always gone with a stardard RV furnace and WAVE 3 heater

Having dual heat sources is nice and for the price you can't beat it.

That is sorta where I was leaning (the wave would be a later add on). Nice to have one heat source that is powerless (but it does require some venting).

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I really like the Propex HS2800 solution. It is more expensive. In the end I have always gone with a stardard RV furnace and WAVE 3 heater. Having dual heat sources is nice and for the price you can't beat it.
FWIW, I, too, am a fan of both catalytic heaters and multiple heat sources, and thus I'll be adding a Wave 3 to the XV-JP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke