long block question

coreys88burban

Adventurer
ok from what ive known when you purchase and assembled engine (LONG block) it includes all the parts internal including a OIL PUMP!!! from places i call and look up online it all says oil pump, screen and pickup tube is included BUT for some reson i went to prime my new 460 after installing it and getting ready to fire it up and i realized there is no oil pump and the place that built the engine says oh well you have to but one and install it blah blah blah were dirty liars at...US ENGINES !!!

if im wrong someone please let me know!

Silverado

Adventurer
usually a long block consists of a rotating assembly installed in the block and the heads installed with a camshaft. Basically a motor minus the oilpan and intake.

I'm more concerned with how you installed the oilpan without realizing there is no oil pump/pickup tube :coffee:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
well i didnt realize it i will admit to that but when your mind is thinking its there as it should be, sometimes you look beyond things. after all its only my 2nd engine swap. the guy at us engines says you are supossed to install it after the crank is installed?? i acted like i didnt know how to install it and let him tell me and he just fed me lies and BS

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've had 3 rebuilt 460s.

The oil pump sticks down pretty far so when the engine is put on the pallet it's normal to have the oil pump not installed. The oil pump is usually in a box sitting in the engine valley and you install it once the engine is on the stand.

But yes, a long block normally includes a new oil pump as part of the price.

EDIT: None of mine came with the pickup tube - that's considered part of the "engine tin".

Last edited:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
well i can understand the tube and screen not being in but the pump itself just dosent make any sence expcially when they test an engine before it leaves!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
..... the guy at us engines says you are supossed to install it after the crank is installed??

Yep, the crank has to be installed, then the oil pump goes in.

As dwh stated, the pump is usually in a box on the pallet (for an inline) or in the intake valley.

I've only done 2 crate motors, and neither came w/oil pump installed.

(but they did come with a new pump)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
IDK they say they run em before they leave, most likley a lie.

Not possible with a long block.

You can't run an engine without the tin and the distributor and plugs and all that (and an oil pump to pump up the lifters). Nobody test runs a long block. A complete engine sure, but not a partially assembled engine - which is what a long block is.

You can turn it, but there is nothing protecting it except assembly lube and a bit of oil here and there...so you don't turn it very fast or very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz