My wife and I took delivery of our own customized Sportsmobile in September, 2007. In our case it took about a year of planning our build (including a trip to Sportsmobile West from our residence in Washington State). From the time the first deposit check was cut to the time we took delivery was 224 days. I made one mid-term trip to Sportsmobile West during our build to finalize our last remaining modifications. Since taking delivery of our Sportsmobile, we have driven back to Sportsmobile West in Fresno, CA one time in order to fix a few minor issues. Their service was excellent. I may be making another trip back to Fresno in 2011 for another systems check (yes, things do break).
The basics of our Sportsmobile are:
- 2007 Dark Shadow Gray Ford E-350 Super Cargo Van
- 6.0L Diesel
- SMB 4x4
- No Propane
- Diesel Heater
- Diesel Generator
- Fridge, Microwave, Sink
- External Shower
- Cabin wide A/C
We actively used our Sportsmobile for almost two years up until my wife and I were blessed with a new baby daughter late in 2009. Our Sportsmobile has not seen many miles since then - but it has been ready to go on a moments notice. 2011 may mark our return to boondocking duty (assuming our overnight camping tests with the whole family seem manageable).
Answers to common questions people have asked about our Sportsmobile:
- What is it? (see above).
- How do you like it? (We love it).
- How much did it cost? (More than my house).
- How long did it take to build? (About a year)
- How many miles per gallon does it get? (14mpg is normal, 16mpg is good)
- Where are you from? (Washington State)
- Have you ever got it stuck? (Yes, two feet off of the side of a gravel road)
- How much does it weigh? (12K lbs, loaded)
- What is that thing up there - pointing to the center of the light bar? (remote operated spot light)
- What is that yellow box under the rear? (Diesel generator)
- How is the quality? (there are good bits and not so good bits, you need to be more specific).
- If you could do it again, would you? (I cant afford to do it again).
- Was the 4x4 package worth it? (Yes).
- Would you ever consider selling it? (No).
- Have you had any problems with the 6.0L diesel motor? (No).
- (From my wife) How soon until we can go camping again? (tbd).
Following - I will post some images of a few of the places that our Sportsmobile has taken us (thus far).
For details regarding some of the places we have been - here are links to a few of our older trip reports:
California to Canada Delivery Tour, 2007