2007 SMB 4x4: Where ours has been...

twolost

Observer
Many thanks everyone!!

Buck, thanks for the offer. I have driven/ridden the Canyon Road many times but I have never been fishing on the Yakima River. It is on the to-do list (someday). I have a few more trips I would like to try and make over to the dry side of the state before the year is out… and would love to compare rigs/notes if our schedules work out.

twolost

Observer
2013 SMB Trips

Just updating this thread with our SMB pics taken during trips in 2013.

Oregon Coast

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area; Umpqua
i-C6KFhgV-L.jpg

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area; Umpqua
i-Wbqbkzp-L.jpg

Siuslaw National Forest; NF-58
i-m2PRtqq-X2.jpg

Siuslaw National Forest; NF-58
i-rMsbpKs-L.jpg

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
i-HvZ3GBC-L.jpg

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
i-2Zxc3P6-L.jpg

South Jetty staging area
i-dg4LSZR-L.jpg

Hauser Beach
i-z483FkC-L.jpg

Coast Guard - trail
i-x9qBF2c-L.jpg

Pacific City; Cape Kiwanda; Haystack Rock
i-J3rWz9B-L.jpg

SouthEast Alaska Trip

Prince Rupert; British Columbia; Canada
i-KRCwKnf-L.jpg

Mitkof Island; Petersburg
i-NDwLPqK-L.jpg

i-vXnMZdw-L.jpg

i-PVc9LgH-L.jpg

i-9fNGXsR-L.jpg

Wrangell Island; Wrangell
i-gjgdq3C-L.jpg

Wrangell Island; Wrangell
i-59WrJbZ-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island; Thorne Bay
i-V7JC753-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island; Luck Lake
i-cFdkD5d-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island; Luck Lake
i-9QGp2Wv-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island; Whale Pass
i-r8pG2Z8-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island
i-HT33VXd-L.jpg

Prince of Wales Island
i-24VTbvW-L.jpg

Ketchikan
i-wfVbTd3-L.jpg

Last edited:

Carl

Observer
Is your top electric?

How have you found the weight of the top with jack/pullpal, etc... up top?

twolost

Observer
Hey Carl,

The top is electric. I am able to put the HiLift Jack on one side, the PulPal arm on the other side, have 4 x MaxTrax (front), a couple pieces of 2x6 (rear) + the roof rack with two solar panels and have not had any issues. I am reasonably close though and doubt that I could add another 40 pounds (or at least I would not be comfortable with it). When the top is up, I made 4 x adjustable PVC posts that I use in each corner to help counter some of the weight. These really helped top sway during strong cross winds or when I was in a place where I could not get the van to sit level overnight. I also carry 2 x 36" sections of steel dowel + hose clamps... just in case one or more of the x-braces that hold up the top, fail.

PoloTurbo

Observer
Amazing. Thanks for everything. I like it when a vehicle is used to the fullest.
Very nice pictures.
Keep them coming. :)

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Two lost...... can you post a close up of the trailing arms on the light bar. I'm curious as to how they attached it to the rain gutter. Thankz n advance.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
cool Thank you.... a quick release. do you ever find the need to use the quick release and fold the bar down. or do you just leave it up all the time........ I'm curious why SMB would make it like that. ..... Thanks again noq I can make mine... :)

twolost

Observer
cool Thank you.... a quick release. do you ever find the need to use the quick release and fold the bar down. or do you just leave it up all the time........ I'm curious why SMB would make it like that. ..... Thanks again noq I can make mine... :)

The quick release aspect of this design was part of the features of Baja Designs light rack I used. This light rack had the capability to have a remote motor driven option as well. Sportsmobile's contribution was to create the attach points to the van (black angle brackets). As my lights/light bar are not the tallest part of my rig, I have not used this quick disconnect feature. One other point is that many states require that these type of lights be covered if pointed forward - when on public roads. Having the ability to lay the lights down is a potential way around this law (out of sight, out of mind). It is faster to deploy the lights forward via the quick disconnects then removing all of the covers (this is especially true with the remote motorized version).

One drawback with the quick disconnects is that the snapper pins have been pushed out when I have high pressure washed the van when using commercial truck washes. When moving around the van with the spraying wand, I noticed that the overhead hose can push the pins out. In fact, this has happened multiple times. I always check these pins after washing the van now (and carry spare pins as well). These pins are the same as my swaybar quick disconnect pins, which is a bonus.

For completeness, the pins are Rubicon Express Gen II Sway Bar Disconnect Snapper Pins (part# 16311 104, from Quadratec)

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Drooled over your SMB(best color) twice at OverlandRallyWA, and always loved your amazing trip reports. Thanks for reposting pics here! :smiley_drive:

twolost

Observer
Many thanks!! Updating this thread with a couple new places in 2014 before the PNW Overland Rally.

[Oregon Coast & Dunes, 2014]

i-Hx9fjB5-L.jpg

i-bx7Jcrn-L.jpg

i-wD6TFrk-L.jpg

i-qxksSBx-L.jpg

i-MK44k8Q-X2.jpg

i-jVVFZ6H-L.jpg

i-d3rXJ9R-L.jpg

i-B8c3fm8-L.jpg

i-sZCrjBG-L.jpg

[Guys Trip to Moab Utah, 2014]
i-rCZwRhB-L.jpg