show your cb radio and antenna install

rayra

Expedition Leader
nakota, I originally tried to take the tape deck out of that very same console, but couldn't figure a way to neatly put two radios in it without completely gutting it. So I decided to replace that entire mid-console piece with a custom build -

console41_zpsgnmvlkvi.jpg
console42_zpsukkjgrew.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ling-and-heavy-gage-power-lines-under-vehicle

I ran cabling and rear bumper mounts for the antennae. CB works fine for convoy / highway ops. But I'm intending to put a 102" whip on it for outback use. Haven't procured the ham radio yet, can't seem to get around to test-cramming.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
making do with limited space, and re-purposing parts to make it work

...I originally tried to take the tape deck out of that very same console, but couldn't figure a way to neatly put two radios in it without completely gutting it.... Haven't procured the ham radio yet, can't seem to get around to test-cramming.
  • I tried the same, but the aftermarket Pioneer and Metra install kit didn't leave enough room, so I tacked the CB (and SWR meter) under my 400 watt inverter. My '04 2500 HD is a WT regular cab variant, so no frills, nor room for accessories. I tried mounting it, and later my tablet, on the dash, but each blocked too much vision, so down the CB went.
  • I angled it towards me , and just within reach, but it isn't something I fiddle with constantly, just when I first adjust it, basically. The microphone is mounted beside me, on my homemade console/armrest/storage box.
  • My antenna was another install I had to compromise on. I have a big non-metal cross-bed box, that holds a ton of my gear. I wanted to keep it, but needed a metal reflective ground plane to mount the antenna on. So, I bought a piece of flat steel sheet (I forget how large I figured it should be), and for appearance, covered it w/aluminum diamond plate, then ran my coax up into and thru the box. I bought a spring to mount the Firestick onto, but it wasn't strong enough, so I got a stronger spring. Realizing that I parked daily under my workplace in the underground garage (8.5' clearance, max), I also bought a folding mount base. The inferior tightening screw lasted one day, so I rigged a barbell weight collar with a 5/8" bolt, and use it to firmly hold the antenna when raised vertically.
  • Another part of the folding antenna solution, was to be able to lift my box lid, I had to fold the antenna. Between using the items in the box daily, and parking under the building daily (until I retired), I was driving 95% of the time with the antenna folded down. So, I attached a gate hinge to the bed box, screwed on some aluminum flat bar, and attached a rubber donut (I think it was part of an old traction bar) I had in my junk box. I folded the antenna, , resting it within the rubber donut (cut into a "U" shape), and it no longer bounced around, unsupported. When I need to open the box, the antenna is positioned to allow full access, and when the antenna is fixed into the upright position, the support hinge/bracket drops out of sight. A typical case of my re-purposing left-over items for other uses. Not pretty, but cheap, and it works.
  • cb.jpg Uniden Pro 520XL mounted under other devices
  • cb antenna, in lowering cradle.jpg usual reclined position of antenna, bracket supports it
  • antenna resting mechanism.jpg tightening the weight collar holds antenna solidly

Hnoroian

Observer
image.jpg
image.jpg
Cobra 29lx and Wilson T2000 with a firestik quick disconnect. Easily reachable for full functions and doesn't get in the way or take up any room. Pa speaker is behind the bumper for fun :)

Kevin108

Explorer
Bad pic from the XJ, but I used a piece of flat aluminum stock that mounted between the clips for the sun visor. I then used the included mounted bracket that came with the Uniden PRO520XL. The Firestik antenna is located on a Firestik stainless mount.
2014-11-09120149.jpg

2014-11-09120413.jpg

On the FJ, I reused the Firestik antenna on a Bandi mount, and instead used a Cobra 75 WX ST.
2017-02-18%2015.19.23.jpg

2016-06-01%2018.28.10.jpg

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
don't mess around with wimpy antenna springs...go "heavy duty"

need to put me one of those spring base doodads on there but it works....
  • I bought a 4-ft Firestick, so I bought a Firestick "medium"spring for it. I figured that they would match their spring to the most popular length antenna. Nope, it wasn't firm enough to hold the antenna straight up, even when not moving. So, I bought a Road Pro "heavy duty" spring to replace it. The heavy duty spring is much stronger; works fine.
  • medium duty spring.jpg flops around
  • heavy duty spring.jpg steady until it needs to bend

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
  • I bought a 4-ft Firestick, so I bought a Firestick "medium"spring for it. I figured that they would match their spring to the most popular length antenna. Nope, it wasn't firm enough to hold the antenna straight up, even when not moving. So, I bought a Road Pro "heavy duty" spring to replace it. The heavy duty spring is much stronger; works fine.

• I've used both the Road Pro HD and the Firestik HD spring. The HD Firestik is a bit more stiff in my opinion. Haven't used the MD Firestik.

rayra

Expedition Leader
seconding the need for a stiffer spring. Tried the 4' Firestick on their spring on my rear bumper corner mount and it was whipping around and slapping the corner of my 'Burb at anything over 70mph. Went no-spring and a tennis ball on the next trip, which worked well enough. Getting a big whip and tip catch for a future desert run. Bow the antenna for the high speeds going and coming, and release the antenna when I get where I'm going.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ZZB52...UTF8&colid=QWZ1BSZYG6VW&coliid=I34QSA6YY7EVZX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DILKM9...=UTF8&colid=QWZ1BSZYG6VW&coliid=IJQR0YWE732LW

eta this was the spring I used - Firestik SS-3H Stainless Steel Heavy Duty CB Radio Antenna Mount Spring. Wasn't stiff enough in the airflow of the Suburban, on a rear bumper mount.
I might try one of the bracket mounts up on the taillight area. Maybe the airflow that way will be less roiled. I wired both rear corners for 2M ham and CB. On a dedicated road trip / excursion I don't mind the exposed mounts. In L.A., as a daily driver, I wanted the hidden bumper mounts and don't keep the antenna mounted. Too many vandals.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Installed this Uniden with a front firing speaker years ago...works a treat. (I'm not sure if this model is still in production.)
I went with a 4' Firestick and HD spring which is mounted on the ARB front bumper (sorry no photo)

Attachments

• P1010248_2.JPG
    P1010248_2.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles