show your cb radio and antenna install

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
looks great! way to go for thinking outside the box for an expo vehicle!

bump ttt for more pics of setups!

Expedition Leader
The 2900 replaced the 2800.

Yeah, I couldn't tell the difference from the picture (I have two 2800's).

FJ40radio010.jpg

Jerry

Adventurer
That is a great use for that worthless space. It would be perfect in my 4Runner too. It would be even better, if I didn't have a sunroof.:)

So, Photog, where and how do you plan to install your dual-band amateur radio ?

click

Photog

Explorer
That is a good question.

I have seen them mount the removable face on the little step, forward of the shift lever. It faces up, at an angle, toward the rear. Then add a second speaker under the grill on the dash, and hide the main box. :)

Jerry

Adventurer
That is a good question.

I have seen them mount the removable face on the little step, forward of the shift lever. It faces up, at an angle, toward the rear. Then add a second speaker under the grill on the dash, and hide the main box. :)

That would look good, Brian. Alan made the excellent suggestion that we should mount our remote radio speakers on/under opposite sides of the dash so we can easily tell which radio is "talking". I did it in my wife's Ford Escape and it works great, what a difference. Still have to get around to doing it in the other vehicles.

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
With multiple radios, having the speakers in different locations sounds like a great idea. I would have to open up more speaker holes in my dash. Hmmm.

IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
With multiple radios, having the speakers in different locations sounds like a great idea. I would have to open up more speaker holes in my dash. Hmmm.

IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

wow you are a very brave man to cut a dashboard like that for a speaker.... wow!

Photog

Explorer
It was a little scary, but that is a factory speaker location. The underside of the dash had the markings for the cut-out. Then I trimmed just enough of the soft material to allow the factory grill to snap into place.

Speaker-location.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Jerry

Adventurer
I am hoping 'ToyMan' will see this and post a pic of his speaker installation on his drivers head rest. Picture a small speaker on either side of the head rest, almost like earphones except facing forward.

In my pickup two Ham Radios and a c.b. are piggybacked on top of the transmission hump. Since there is plenty of room in the PU the CB is one of the physically larger models as is the HF ham radio with faceplate intact. The stock speakers are virtually one on top of the other so I need to do some sneaky speaker spacing (try saying that fast three times in a row).

Last edited:

Umnak

Adventurer
Efficacy of CB radio?

Aside from the 2000 mile road trip we took from Seattle to Skagway, and then by ferry home to Juneau, I've been out of touch with the open road for the past 14 years. I am surprised to learn that CB radios are still being used. We use VHF radio here on the water. On land we typically carry a 2 meter. I know of no one with a CB.

How wide spread is CB used in the west? Would a handheld work with a decent antenna?

thanks for this thread,

Jerry

Adventurer
Aside from the 2000 mile road trip we took from Seattle to Skagway, and then by ferry home to Juneau, I've been out of touch with the open road for the past 14 years. I am surprised to learn that CB radios are still being used. We use VHF radio here on the water. On land we typically carry a 2 meter. I know of no one with a CB.

How wide spread is CB used in the west? Would a handheld work with a decent antenna?

thanks for this thread,

Most folks in our travel group are not licensed operators and that together with the cost of equipment; the fact that several other recreationists use c.b. and might be available in case of an emergency; and that c.b. with a properly installed antenna has an effective range for most of our treks makes it the logical choice for most runs. There are, however, several Hams on the backroads and when there are enough of us on a run we sometimes use simplex for primary communications, otherwise it is backup to c.b. And we also take advantage of local repeaters, if available. Some of us have HF capability for communications with the outside world when repeaters are out of range. Plus a select few have sat phones (not me, unfortunately - $$$$)

I think c.b. is still a viable mode of communication, but I encourage everyone who wanders off the beaten path to invest a few hours of study time to get their ham license. It is my belief that dependable emergency communications in remote areas is every bit as important as a spare tire, tow strap or a winch.

Last edited:

Umnak

Adventurer
Thanks to both of you for the information about CB use.

We had a satellite phone for about 9 years and used it on our long kayak trips along the Inside Passage. There has been a marked increase in cellular coverage over the past few years and we are now no more than a long day's paddle from a cell site (40+-nm). The mobile phone and VHF now pretty much have it covered.

Still wondering about the use of a handheld CB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles