show your cb radio and antenna install

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
while we are on the conversation of the antenna's and radios... whats the general consensus of the external speakers.. how viable of a part is it? meaning at what point do you need to have an external speaker?

*Lets not confuse this with the PA speaker*

most cb's are pretty loud, but if it is flush mounted into a dash or something, that could kill the sound, i would say you be the judge, get it mounted and see how loud it is during a conversation, if you can't hear it that well, then get a speaker, i know our truck stop usually has them in the discount bins for less than $10

Photog

Explorer
There is almost no space in a newer 4Runner. Here is how I mounted my CB radio, using two large patched of industrial Velcro. It is close to my right leg, easy to reach and adjust, and does not interfere with anything.
CB0013a.jpg

I mounted the mic to the side of the box.
CB0018a.jpg

This is the center console, showing where it sits. It is object (B). I have since moved the external speaker (A) to the factory location in the center of the dash.
CB0009a.jpg

The antenna is a Wilson Lil Wil, using the mag-mount, just in front of my roof basket.
IV8E1442.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
while we are on the conversation of the antenna's and radios... whats the general consensus of the external speakers.. how viable of a part is it? meaning at what point do you need to have an external speaker?

External speakers generally sound better - clearer sound, easier to understand communications, and usually don't need to be as loud to be heard.

4x4mike

Adventurer

To each is own. My last CB was in dash and had a froward firing speaker. As such I had no reason to have an external speaker. Even with the windows down on the freeway I could hear fine at 60%. My new Cobra 75 has a speaker in the mic and the mic is mounted near and facing me so again I can hear fine. I replaced the forward firing cb with a HAM radio that has a speaker on the bottom. While I could hear fine I didn't like that I had to have the volume all the way up. I gutted an old speaker from some external computer speakers I had laying around and mounted it up closer to me and now listen with the knob at about 40%, much better. I left the cord really long so if I need to I can pull the speaker out if it's little cubby and pull it out the window and stick near the windshield wipers. This is handy if working an event or if you're at camp monitoring.

As it is I have a lot of wires running through my vehicle (CB & HAM-along with their antennas, rock lights, bumper lights, GPS, inverter, etc) and I like to keep them clean and out of way. One last thing I wanted was another wire but I took my time with routing and placement and it's great.

If you haven't thought about a speaker until now you might not need one.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Here's my CB and antenna.

The CB is in the dash, where the ash tray used to be. I made some brackets out of aluminum to hold the radio and the faceplate (also aluminum.) Underneath the dash, you can see my Motorola external speaker.

The antenna is a K40, mounted through the roof - in 17 years, it has never leaked.

Attachments

• CB small.JPG
    CB small.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
  • CB Ant 2 small.JPG
    CB Ant 2 small.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 110

Azlugz

Adventurer
Don't use my sunroof and a grand cherokee has no room for anything so this is my test setup, been in for several months nad works great so I will make a new mount bracket that looks a bit nicer, but this works great.

dsc01011.jpg

dsc01013.jpg

Antennas
dsc00910.jpg

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Don't use my sunroof and a grand cherokee has no room for anything so this is my test setup, been in for several months nad works great so I will make a new mount bracket that looks a bit nicer, but this works great.

dsc01011.jpg

dsc01013.jpg

Antennas
dsc00910.jpg

i see the one is a cobra 19 but what is the other?

Box Rocket

Pretty common install within Tacoma circles. Ashtray location. Imounted the external speaker in front of the shifter. I had a firestick antenna mounted to my bed rack, but have since moved it to the front corner of the bed. The bedrack mounting didn't work when the RTT was mounted.

CB_01.jpg

bedrack9.jpg

if you look closely you can see the antenna location at the front corner of the bed behind the cab. Magmount antenna for the HAM on the roof.
IMG_0075Large.jpg

Brian1

Observer
Cobra 75wxst with the control box under the dash and I hang the radio from my mirror. You can barely make it out through the front window. I have a 2' Firestik mounted on my swingout tire carrier. This setup seems to work good. Now I just need to find room to mount my HAM radio.

Attachments

• m_DSC07583.JPG
    m_DSC07583.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 128
  • m_cb.jpg
    m_cb.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 160

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles