One Spice?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
... I think I want to travel with TeriAnn :chef:

I agree. You can't limit yourself when it comes to culinary enjoyment. However, one "all-purpose" spice blend that has a lot of uses is Old Bay seasoning...

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Trail cooking for me is a very important part of any trip..... I probably eat better on the trail than I do at home:chowtime:

If I had to choose 1 spice I would probably have a mental breakdown right there at camp,...haha.... wouldn't be a pretty site.

But for the sake of the thread subject,.... "IF" I could only take 1 spice,.... it would probably be freshly ground black pepper. It can fit the bill with a large variety of dishes.

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I use a wide variety of spices etc in my cooking, but one blend that always goes with me is a spice blend called Spike, which was developed by Gayelord Hauser.

I was first introduced to it as a kid in the 1970s, and it has remained with me ever since. :coffeedrink:

It is a combination of 39 different ingredients:

Salt and sea salt crystals, special high potency non-active nutritional yeast grown on beet molasses, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, mellow toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flower, sweet green and red peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, saffron, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder, cayenne pepper, Greek oregano, French sweet basil, French marjoram, French rosemary, and Spanish thyme.

http://www.modernfearn.com/index_files/Page390.htm

450.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Berbere. It's a staple spice made of a combination of 15-20 spices that is used in Ethiopian food. It is spicy hot, smoky, flavorful and adds a bottom note to your meat, beans, potatoes, soups, eggs...etc. I use it in cooking and make my own hot sauce from it.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Anyway, when my truck is out in the field, it ALWAYS contains whole garlic cloves, fresh onions, mushrooms, olive oil, ginger root, rice vinegar, malt vinegar, powdered cinnamon (for french toast), BBQ sauce, butter, mustard, Miracle whip light (for sandwiches), a block of aged Romano cheese (yes I carry a cheese grader) and soy sauce. And most of the time there is red wine that can be added to the food. If any of these run out I consider it essential to come in for resupply.

I save weight and bulk by minimizing "expo gadgets", NOT by minimizing food ingredients. A happy tummy is essential to having a happy traveler. :chef:
Ditto, except for the supply list. I'll be plagiarizing much of it, it though.:sombrero:

Joanne

Adventurer
While I realize that the original question was about a single spice, my "trinity" is salt, pepper, and garlic. I've never been a fan of marinades, overbearing spices and such, so I season my meats with those three then onto the grill. I can't count how often I've been asked about what I put on the meat to make it taste so good. Maybe it just lets the natural flavors shine through.

BBQ is a whole different game. Lots of spices in my favorite rubs.

Joanne

Kiomon

Adventurer
If i can have a blend, i would take any rib rub blend i can get. by varying the amount and cooking technique, i have been able to make it remarkably versatile. I highly recommend everyone try it. of course salt and pepper, but if TRULY just one. Then my order is: salt, garlic, pepper.

TwinStick

Explorer
30 years ago, when i married my lovely wife, i realized she was a BLAND cooker. Everything BLAND. I made a fix for that. I started growing my own hot peppers, then dry & roast them in the oven (180* for a couple days). Then use the flour canister on my Vita-Mix to turn the dried peppers into powder. You can go from mild to wild with the hotness of the peppers.

Then, i will make my own all-spice. In a big bowl, i will put 2 teaspoons each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder & hot pepper powder to desired hotness. Obviously you can add whatever you like. I am a big fan of this as well: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/maharajah-style-curry-powder/c-24/p-144/pd-s It is NOT hot but has the highest concentration of saffron that i have found.....good stuff.

I can shake that mix on anything my wife makes & tell her it is great !!! Because it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles