Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member -- F150 Build

Default New member -- F150 Build

I just found this site in searching for information about F150 expedition builds. The F150 sites provide little useful information. I use my truck for hunting and camping in the Southern California mountains and desserts, and to haul my family's ski gear to our place in Tahoe. My objective is a functional truck that does not look like a posser.

I have a 2007 F150 FX4 Supercrew with a 6.5 foot bed. It is fairly loaded with options, including a TV/DVD player. I've installed a 200 amp modified sine inverter, hard wired to the battery. I also have a spray in bed liner and a roll top bed cover.

I just ordered a set of King Coilovers, front and rear, and Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18 that I will run on stock rims. I want to set the lift on the Kings as low as I can and avoid any rubbing. An aftermarket UCA may be in the future, but they will require new rims.

I am considering a stouter front bumper and winch, but am not crazy about what I have seen. Does ARB make a bumper that would fit? I may also ditch the roll top bed cover and replace it with a shell/bed cap, but I frequently haul mountain and road bikes and I don't think it interior will be tall enough.

I am open to any other suggestions and look forward to participating on this board.

My understanding is that ARB only makes a bumper for the superdutys...pics please...

It's good to see another F-150 on here, best of luck

Good to see another late model f150 post some pics up! ARB does not make a bumper which sucks but they do make a rear locker if interested. I don't know what bumpers you have seen but here is a few i have come across

http://www.buckstop.biz/ford97-03.html

http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/ford_lightduty.html

http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/ford_lightduty.html

And if your interested warn does make a hidden winch mount for 04-05 f150 but from what i heard they don't work on the later years because the gap in the bumper is smaller than the 04-05's. Im not a 100% on that but if its true a little modification it will fit! And i think it only fits a 9,000-lb winch idk if you can go bigger heres the link for that as well.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...ord_f150.shtml

Hope that helps you cant wait to see the truck good choice on the 6.5 ft bed!

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into the basic Trailready bumper. Here are some shots from our Tahoe trip last month. I'll post pics after the tires and new coilovers are installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look forward to seeing the build. I've got an 07 that I'd like to do more with, so I'll be watching this thread.
    Richard Bryan - KF4ZAI
    operationorange.com

Got the King Coilovers and Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18 installed. The installer told me to expect the ride to be stiff until the springs set themselves. Actually, I think the ride is great -- somewhat firm and controlled -- like my M3. However, the truck does "pogo" a little when coming to a rest. I recall reading about this from another board and is expected from the Kings.

I plan to install 4.53 gears, but the larger tires have not impacted the performance much at least without a load. The speedo is off a little, but I have a GPS that reads my speed. Stopping distances do not seem to be effected too much, but I have been careful. I do notice a little more sidewall flex when corner due to the taller sidewalls than the stock tires.

The truck is noticeably taller, but it's not obtrusive like most lifted trucks.

I'll get some pics up soon.
    Expedition Rides
    2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Welcome!
    I bet those kings are nice! I am running bilstein 5100s on my 06 fx4 set an 2" up front, 35x12.50 KM2s on stock wheels. No rubbing, works great, but only have about 2" of down travel up front from ride height. I may modify them to lower the front and inch if I don't lift the truck. I may also go with the 285/75/18 toyos if I don't lift it, since I do get a little walking with the 12.5" tires, though surprisingly little. The brakes still work great.
    I did re-gear to 4.56 gears from the stock 3.73s. Huge improvement, no regrets with the gears. I also ran a Detroit locker out back, Eaton E-locker up front. I would also like to run camburg upper control arms but as you know, you need wheels with 4.5" BS.

Lets see the truck how it sits now!

If you don't have a programmer for the truck yet, do it! I am using an older SCT Xcal 2, tuned by VMP tuning. No more throttle lag, much firmer/faster shifts, and a fair amount of extra power.
    SOLD 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Ursa Minor J30 camper, 3.5" AEV/Synergy/Metalcloak lift, 35s, 4.88s, Tera44 front axle w/ARB RCVs and Reid knuckles, Fox ATS, Warn Zeon 10s on Expedition One full width bumper, Truck Lite and JW Speaker LEDs, sPod.

Default Trailready bumper

I have the basic Trailready front bumper on my 04 F150 4x4. It is not as areodynamic as stock therefore you will notice the wind a little more and fuel economy will suffer slightly. It has openings for 6" and 4" lights and is rated for a 12,000lb winch. I installed it with a little help (for lifting) but installation was a breeze. Something else to think about is that the power steering cooler, trans cooler etc (if you have them ) will no longer have protection so you will need to fab up something.
    2004 F150 5.4 regcab long box 4X4, 4.5" lift

Thanks for the tips. If I get that bumper, I anticipate that I'll have to relocate the external reservoirs for the Kings because they are installed behind the stock bumper. How much heavier is Trailready than the stock bumper? Is it heavy enough with the winch to require stiffer coil springs?
    Expedition Rides
    2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast