Thread: New member -- F150 Build

I think the bumper weighs 170lbs. The bumper and winch do add a little but, I have a 4.5" Superlift with Bilstein shocks and have had no issues with the front sagging.
    2004 F150 5.4 regcab long box 4X4, 4.5" lift

How is the fuel economy on this thing? I've been looking real hard at an 05 supercrew but a little worried about poor fuel economy. I put 198k miles on my GMC with the 5.3L and have been pleased with its mileage. From some other forums I see people complaining the supercrews get bad mileage...
    http://upjeeping.informe.com/index.php
    2005 WK Laredo 4.7L QTII
    1998 TJ tons 37's
    1988 MJ tons 38's
    1992 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by txflyyaker View Post
    I think the bumper weighs 170lbs. The bumper and winch do add a little but, I have a 4.5" Superlift with Bilstein shocks and have had no issues with the front sagging.
    Thanks.
    Expedition Rides
    2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
    How is the fuel economy on this thing? I've been looking real hard at an 05 supercrew but a little worried about poor fuel economy. I put 198k miles on my GMC with the 5.3L and have been pleased with its mileage. From some other forums I see people complaining the supercrews get bad mileage...
    Before the larger tires -- which have been on the truck about a week -- I was getting 11 to 13 mpg. (It's about the same as my wife's Series 100 Land Cruiser. A little worse than my M3 [15.3 mpg].) I assume with the taller tires, the mileage will be worse. Others may get better mileage. I have a very heavy right foot and suffer from king of the road syndrome. The oil companies love me.

What do you get on your GMC? Before buying the Ford, I looked at a Chevy 1500 LT crew cab -- great looking truck -- but, the cab and, especially, the bed were on the small side.
    Expedition Rides
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
    Before the larger tires -- which have been on the truck about a week -- I was getting 11 to 13 mpg. (It's about the same as my wife's Series 100 Land Cruiser. A little worse than my M3 [15.3 mpg].) I assume with the taller tires, the mileage will be worse. Others may get better mileage. I have a very heavy right foot and suffer from king of the road syndrome. The oil companies love me.

What do you get on your GMC? Before buying the Ford, I looked at a Chevy 1500 LT crew cab -- great looking truck -- but, the cab and, especially, the bed were on the small side.
    Well, its a 99 Sierra 1500, ext cab, short bed, 4x4... When it was new it would do 20-21 on long highway trips. Now just shy of 200,000 miles it will still pretty easily do 19mpg on long trips. I did a 2500 mile round trip from MI to NC, I kept track of all my fuel and mileage and netted a solid 19mpg with the cruise set at 70 most of the way. For the last 2 years I drove 100 mile round trips 4 days a week on a 2 lane highway doing about 60 mph and I always got just over 17mpg. If I burn a whole tank around town I'm usually around 14mpg. I also tow my wrangler on a flatbed trailer, just over 6500lbs and usually get a solid 10...

I really do love these new Fords, and i'm so ready for a change! It does seem like the GM trucks are getting the best fuel economy though, the 5.3L is a great motor.
    2005 WK Laredo 4.7L QTII
    1998 TJ tons 37's
    1988 MJ tons 38's
    1992 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
    Well, its a 99 Sierra 1500, ext cab, short bed, 4x4... When it was new it would do 20-21 on long highway trips. Now just shy of 200,000 miles it will still pretty easily do 19mpg on long trips. I did a 2500 mile round trip from MI to NC, I kept track of all my fuel and mileage and netted a solid 19mpg with the cruise set at 70 most of the way. For the last 2 years I drove 100 mile round trips 4 days a week on a 2 lane highway doing about 60 mph and I always got just over 17mpg. If I burn a whole tank around town I'm usually around 14mpg. I also tow my wrangler on a flatbed trailer, just over 6500lbs and usually get a solid 10...

I really do love these new Fords, and i'm so ready for a change! It does seem like the GM trucks are getting the best fuel economy though, the 5.3L is a great motor.
    Your mileage is very impressive. I wish I could say the Ford 5.4l is a great motor -- good motor, yes, but, not great. It feels low on torque. While my tranny has performed fine, other blogs describe it as a weak link. Not, trying to talking you out of a Ford, but ... Otherwise, the cab is great, very roomy in the backseat, the available 6.5 foot bed is a good size.
    Expedition Rides
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Default My older Ford

I have the E4OD in my Broncos and I have very little to complain about. What trans is in yours?

The trans is a 4R75.
    The worst mileage I've ever counted with my F150 was just over 10mpg on my last tank, 90% in town, very short trips, lots of idling, winter gas, etc.
    Typically I average 12-14mpg with mine. This is with 35x12.50s, 4.56 gears, 93 octane performance tune. With 3.73 gears the mileage was the same but the performance was weak. When the truck was stock (only a couple of weeks at best) I was seeing 15-17mpg. I drive very aggressively as well.
    FOR SALE 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Ursa Minor J30 camper, 3.5" AEV/Synergy/Metalcloak lift, 35s, 4.88s, Tera44 front axle w/ARB RCVs and Reid knuckles, Fox ATS, Warn Zeon 10s on Expedition One full width bumper, Truck Lite and JW Speaker LEDs, sPod.

This is the whole reason its not sitting in my driveway right now. I have a hard time biting the bullet on a $17k truck that gets worse mileage than my old GMC that I haven't made a loan payment on in 7 years... I'm going to have to ask the dealer if I can take it for a day and see how it goes with my driving style and location. I do agree the truck feels a bit sluggish, but I kinda attributed that to a "feeling" as it seems to be a bulkier feeling truck. I also need to get a feel how it tows, I was told I could bring my trailer down and hook up to it for the test ride. I don't know if he realized it was my equipment trailer and Jeep that weighs almost 7000lbs combined, lol...
    2005 WK Laredo 4.7L QTII
    1998 TJ tons 37's
    1988 MJ tons 38's
    1992 Jaguar XJ6

Road Armor also makes a nice bumper we can get that can hold a 9K winch

Terry
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    2000 EXCURSION 6.8 V10 - FOR SALE
    1995 Grand Cherokee Limited

Age doesn’t always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast