New member -- F150 Build

Robert B

Adventurer
I just found this site in searching for information about F150 expedition builds. The F150 sites provide little useful information. I use my truck for hunting and camping in the Southern California mountains and desserts, and to haul my family's ski gear to our place in Tahoe. My objective is a functional truck that does not look like a posser.

I have a 2007 F150 FX4 Supercrew with a 6.5 foot bed. It is fairly loaded with options, including a TV/DVD player. I've installed a 200 amp modified sine inverter, hard wired to the battery. I also have a spray in bed liner and a roll top bed cover.

I just ordered a set of King Coilovers, front and rear, and Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18 that I will run on stock rims. I want to set the lift on the Kings as low as I can and avoid any rubbing. An aftermarket UCA may be in the future, but they will require new rims.

I am considering a stouter front bumper and winch, but am not crazy about what I have seen. Does ARB make a bumper that would fit? I may also ditch the roll top bed cover and replace it with a shell/bed cap, but I frequently haul mountain and road bikes and I don't think it interior will be tall enough.

I am open to any other suggestions and look forward to participating on this board.

DuvaFX4

Good to see another late model f150 post some pics up! ARB does not make a bumper which sucks but they do make a rear locker if interested. I don't know what bumpers you have seen but here is a few i have come across

http://www.buckstop.biz/ford97-03.html

http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/ford_lightduty.html

http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/ford_lightduty.html

And if your interested warn does make a hidden winch mount for 04-05 f150 but from what i heard they don't work on the later years because the gap in the bumper is smaller than the 04-05's. Im not a 100% on that but if its true a little modification it will fit! And i think it only fits a 9,000-lb winch idk if you can go bigger heres the link for that as well.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/hidden_kit_ford_f150.shtml

Hope that helps you cant wait to see the truck good choice on the 6.5 ft bed!

Robert B

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I'm going to look into the basic Trailready bumper. Here are some shots from our Tahoe trip last month. I'll post pics after the tires and new coilovers are installed.

Attachments

• DSCN0188.jpg
    DSCN0188.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0407.jpg
    DSCN0407.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC9052.jpg
    _DSC9052.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 66

buddha

Adventurer
Look forward to seeing the build. I've got an 07 that I'd like to do more with, so I'll be watching this thread.

Robert B

Adventurer
Got the King Coilovers and Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18 installed. The installer told me to expect the ride to be stiff until the springs set themselves. Actually, I think the ride is great -- somewhat firm and controlled -- like my M3. However, the truck does "pogo" a little when coming to a rest. I recall reading about this from another board and is expected from the Kings.

I plan to install 4.53 gears, but the larger tires have not impacted the performance much at least without a load. The speedo is off a little, but I have a GPS that reads my speed. Stopping distances do not seem to be effected too much, but I have been careful. I do notice a little more sidewall flex when corner due to the taller sidewalls than the stock tires.

The truck is noticeably taller, but it's not obtrusive like most lifted trucks.

I'll get some pics up soon.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Welcome!
I bet those kings are nice! I am running bilstein 5100s on my 06 fx4 set an 2" up front, 35x12.50 KM2s on stock wheels. No rubbing, works great, but only have about 2" of down travel up front from ride height. I may modify them to lower the front and inch if I don't lift the truck. I may also go with the 285/75/18 toyos if I don't lift it, since I do get a little walking with the 12.5" tires, though surprisingly little. The brakes still work great.
I did re-gear to 4.56 gears from the stock 3.73s. Huge improvement, no regrets with the gears. I also ran a Detroit locker out back, Eaton E-locker up front. I would also like to run camburg upper control arms but as you know, you need wheels with 4.5" BS.

Lets see the truck how it sits now!

If you don't have a programmer for the truck yet, do it! I am using an older SCT Xcal 2, tuned by VMP tuning. No more throttle lag, much firmer/faster shifts, and a fair amount of extra power.

txflyyaker

Observer
Trailready bumper

I have the basic Trailready front bumper on my 04 F150 4x4. It is not as areodynamic as stock therefore you will notice the wind a little more and fuel economy will suffer slightly. It has openings for 6" and 4" lights and is rated for a 12,000lb winch. I installed it with a little help (for lifting) but installation was a breeze. Something else to think about is that the power steering cooler, trans cooler etc (if you have them ) will no longer have protection so you will need to fab up something.

Robert B

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips. If I get that bumper, I anticipate that I'll have to relocate the external reservoirs for the Kings because they are installed behind the stock bumper. How much heavier is Trailready than the stock bumper? Is it heavy enough with the winch to require stiffer coil springs?

txflyyaker

Observer
I think the bumper weighs 170lbs. The bumper and winch do add a little but, I have a 4.5" Superlift with Bilstein shocks and have had no issues with the front sagging.

cocco78

Adventurer
How is the fuel economy on this thing? I've been looking real hard at an 05 supercrew but a little worried about poor fuel economy. I put 198k miles on my GMC with the 5.3L and have been pleased with its mileage. From some other forums I see people complaining the supercrews get bad mileage...

Robert B

Adventurer
How is the fuel economy on this thing? I've been looking real hard at an 05 supercrew but a little worried about poor fuel economy. I put 198k miles on my GMC with the 5.3L and have been pleased with its mileage. From some other forums I see people complaining the supercrews get bad mileage...

Before the larger tires -- which have been on the truck about a week -- I was getting 11 to 13 mpg. (It's about the same as my wife's Series 100 Land Cruiser. A little worse than my M3 [15.3 mpg].) I assume with the taller tires, the mileage will be worse. Others may get better mileage. I have a very heavy right foot and suffer from king of the road syndrome. :smiley_drive: The oil companies love me.

What do you get on your GMC? Before buying the Ford, I looked at a Chevy 1500 LT crew cab -- great looking truck -- but, the cab and, especially, the bed were on the small side.

cocco78

Adventurer
Before the larger tires -- which have been on the truck about a week -- I was getting 11 to 13 mpg. (It's about the same as my wife's Series 100 Land Cruiser. A little worse than my M3 [15.3 mpg].) I assume with the taller tires, the mileage will be worse. Others may get better mileage. I have a very heavy right foot and suffer from king of the road syndrome. :smiley_drive: The oil companies love me.

What do you get on your GMC? Before buying the Ford, I looked at a Chevy 1500 LT crew cab -- great looking truck -- but, the cab and, especially, the bed were on the small side.

Well, its a 99 Sierra 1500, ext cab, short bed, 4x4... When it was new it would do 20-21 on long highway trips. Now just shy of 200,000 miles it will still pretty easily do 19mpg on long trips. I did a 2500 mile round trip from MI to NC, I kept track of all my fuel and mileage and netted a solid 19mpg with the cruise set at 70 most of the way. For the last 2 years I drove 100 mile round trips 4 days a week on a 2 lane highway doing about 60 mph and I always got just over 17mpg. If I burn a whole tank around town I'm usually around 14mpg. I also tow my wrangler on a flatbed trailer, just over 6500lbs and usually get a solid 10...

I really do love these new Fords, and i'm so ready for a change! It does seem like the GM trucks are getting the best fuel economy though, the 5.3L is a great motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles