Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

33s will fit if you're not afraid of cutting the fenders. relocating the axle forward an inch or so helps too.
    '89 GMC Suburban under construction. 5.3l, 4l80e, 1 tons, 35s, etc...
    bearded, american, armed and atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEanimals View Post
    I dont know if this was talked about earlier in your build, is the dual battery setup factory? Do you have any pictures of the setup?
    Yes it came with dual batteries (factory option). Sorry no pix's but it's basically just an extra battery tray on the other side. What I want to do is put in a battery selector switch so I can use just one battery when camping and keep the other charged up so I will never have a dead battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Do the 33s rub at all since the suburban isn't lifted? I have an 89 as well and am debating 31 vs 33, but am worried the 33s might rub.
    33" fit just fine without rubbing. (my suburban is not lifted and I did not have to trim the fenders)
    Keep in mind though that a 3/4 ton has more clearance than a half ton and if you have a half ton with sagging suspension the front might rub a little when the wheels are completely turned especially on the wider tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Do the 33s rub at all since the suburban isn't lifted? I have an 89 as well and am debating 31 vs 33, but am worried the 33s might rub.
    If you have a 1500 burban you dont have to worry about the 33s. thats about as big as you can put on without a lift or trimming fendors, but my buddy has 33 inch tires on his burban and his back sags a little from too much towing and such, but there is still no rubbing.

New member here. I just recently got interested in Overland Adventures. This is a cool truck. I've always liked Suburbans; especially the older box style. I'm very interested in this build as I have an 85 Sub that has some potential. I particularly like the look of the 33 on 17" wheels. I think they look better than the stock 15's of my 85. I'd like to know what kind of wheels those are? No one seems to make anything larger than 15 that will clear the tie rods.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBurban View Post
    I'd like to know what kind of wheels those are? No one seems to make anything larger than 15 that will clear the tie rods.
    Here you go: Discount Tire

And welcome to Expedition Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Calplaya View Post
    If you have a 1500 burban you dont have to worry about the 33s. thats about as big as you can put on without a lift or trimming fendors, but my buddy has 33 inch tires on his burban and his back sags a little from too much towing and such, but there is still no rubbing.
    Mine is a 1500 and the rear springs are sagging some. If the 33s rub I might swap in 3/4 ton springs. I can get them at the local pick and pull pretty cheap.

woul you happen to have the name of the rack you put on the roof? Also, do you have a pic for you sleeping platform,.

Thanks
    and great looking rig

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwak View Post
    Red, i love your `Burb´! Got any updates for us?
    I have not really done any mod’s recently but I will post some pictures for you guys to enjoy. I have been looking forever to find a used winch bumper with brush guard that I can afford and put on the burban, so that will most likely be my next mod.
    I finally found one a couple weeks ago, offered full price for it and was going to drive all the way to Portland to pick it up first thing in the morning but when I called the next morning to tell him I was on my way he said he sold it the night before.
    I am now asking around at local fab shops if they can built me something as it is near impossible to find a used one that will fit the older body style, (I frequently find them for the newer 92 and up body style though) and the few manufacturers that make them new are just way too expensive although I love the look of the buckstop bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by 93burban View Post
    woul you happen to have the name of the rack you put on the roof? Also, do you have a pic for you sleeping platform,.

Thanks
    and great looking rig
    The roof rack was custom made and since I bought it used from a guy that was parting out his friends Suburban I was never able to find out where it was made other than that it was custom made at some shop.

No pictures of the sleeping platform worth posting but I will see if I can take some one of these days, there is a great tread HERE if you need some inspiration to build your own

2011_0924.jpg
    I know it is a quality build roof rack though and it also came in handy when I painted my house last year as the ladder was just not high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBurban View Post
    New member here. I just recently got interested in Overland Adventures. This is a cool truck. I've always liked Suburbans; especially the older box style. I'm very interested in this build as I have an 85 Sub that has some potential. I particularly like the look of the 33 on 17" wheels. I think they look better than the stock 15's of my 85. I'd like to know what kind of wheels those are? No one seems to make anything larger than 15 that will clear the tie rods.
    Welcome to the site Joe. Always good to have another `Burb´driver here. I am an old school Chevy pick-up guy myself...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast