My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

valyidol

Observer
Here are some more pictures from about 2 weeks ago when I took her out for some fun in the snow...

DSC_0423_zps0f97fad3.jpg

DSC_0444_zps1fb1e0fb.jpg

DSC_0424_zpscb65796b.jpg

Enjoy, it was a beautiful day out!
the white silence. And where is White Fang?

valyidol

Observer
In 1996-1997, I worked as an actor in the theater. We were in Alaska with the play "White Fang." Alaska a great place!

Movie Magic

I heard it was an fj60, actually

and yeah either way, some time with a heat gun to help massage it against the A-pillar is required, otherwise it fits pretty darned well.

The movie studio actually made 2-3 of them if I remember correctly, and the one in the river actually did ford it, without much drama.

4334930922_53a7f50634.jpg
4334930778_30d75b953e.jpg

We are building a copy of the truck and will be exact except for interior color, rear AC and we are using a manual trany in place of the automatic.

cobra_4

Observer
Awesome truck! Just read the whole thing! I've got a '91 GMC 2500 Suburban. Dual real wheels. Been thinking about building it up for some camping and what not. Only thing is, its two wheel drive. But with the dual wheels it goes anywhere I want pretty much. It's a 454, gas mileage sucks, but she's a beast! Anyway, love the ride!

Little Red

Adventurer
Considering selling my suburban

I can't believe I am saying this but I am considering selling my suburban. I love this truck and put a of work in to it but I am trying to save up as much money as possible so I can take a year off work and travel the world. I will be renting out my house soon and won't have a place to park it anymore. Also once I start my trip, in about 2 years, I won't be able to keep my suburban anyways as it's a little too expensive on gas to drive across the world. My trip might turn in to 2-3 years also, so I would hate for it to just sit somewhere or have to pay for storage. I am building an RV from a Bluebird bus and will use that for part of my trip though the USA and Canada and possibly Mexico and after I return from my trip across the rest of the world it will be my home until I find a new job and somewhere else to live.
>
For now I am just seeing if there is any interest, I won't have to sell my suburban till 2 years from now but if I get a offer that I can't refuse, I will let her go as I could really use the money to fund my bus build and world trip. If you are seriously interested send me a PM.
>
Also I am working on creating a new website specifically for this trip and the bus conversion. But for now you can follow my other thread in my signature or like my facebook page which I will also use for this trip (and other adventures).

Little Red

Adventurer
I put an ad up on craigslist with all the details. > Craigslist Ad
I need to get some more pictures and add them. I will try and post an ad here too in the for sale section when I get a chance to take some more pictures.
Expo price is $3950

superbuickguy

Explorer
a word of advice - never say "I'm just thinking about selling" or "I don't need to sell" or "I really don't want to let it sit for a few years" because it makes you sound like you're not really wanting to sell. For every one unmotivated-appearing-seller of you there's 200 on Craigslist that the people are very willing to sell. Simply saying "motivated to sell" or "selling to fund a world-travel-adventure" and a link to your bus will catch far more people's attention. Here's why, from my chair it sounds like you want to find a sucker to buy your rig - one that will pay way too much - even though, you've priced your rig competitively. The other issue is this, you can't sell to someone who won't come look. Saying you're not really motivated to sell doesn't get people to look at your rig - and find out that you've priced it very competitively.

And never post pictures of you wheeling your rig - it says "beat hard, put away wet." Believe it or not, I sold a pickup that had a winch on it - but it wasn't getting anyone to look at it. I took the winch off, put a regular bumper on it and sold it for $500 more - because the guy was convinced that the rig had never been wheeled (and it hadn't been) but with the winch on it....

heavens I hate psychology - mostly because it works.

GLWS, I'm jealous of your plans.

Little Red

Adventurer
a word of advice - never say "I'm just thinking about selling" or "I don't need to sell" or "I really don't want to let it sit for a few years" because it makes you sound like you're not really wanting to sell. For every one unmotivated-appearing-seller of you there's 200 on Craigslist that the people are very willing to sell. Simply saying "motivated to sell" or "selling to fund a world-travel-adventure" and a link to your bus will catch far more people's attention. Here's why, from my chair it sounds like you want to find a sucker to buy your rig - one that will pay way too much - even though, you've priced your rig competitively. The other issue is this, you can't sell to someone who won't come look. Saying you're not really motivated to sell doesn't get people to look at your rig - and find out that you've priced it very competitively.

And never post pictures of you wheeling your rig - it says "beat hard, put away wet." Believe it or not, I sold a pickup that had a winch on it - but it wasn't getting anyone to look at it. I took the winch off, put a regular bumper on it and sold it for $500 more - because the guy was convinced that the rig had never been wheeled (and it hadn't been) but with the winch on it....

heavens I hate psychology - mostly because it works.

GLWS, I'm jealous of your plans.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't think I was coming of as unmotivated. I am super excited about my travel plans and am motivated to sell my Suburban, just hate to let it go at the same time since I have a lot of time and money invested in it and I really like this truck.

I have always taken very good care of it. It has always been parked garaged and has never been wheeled. I just take it out on the Forest Service roads near where I live and use it for camping, etc.

jerrysull2

Master Lurker
Such a shame to see this guy go, although I understand the circumstances. Even though I was a late arrival, I was looking forward to seeing how this build progressed. Hope you get a good price for it, and it goes to a good home!

Little Red

Adventurer
Such a shame to see this guy go, although I understand the circumstances. Even though I was a late arrival, I was looking forward to seeing how this build progressed. Hope you get a good price for it, and it goes to a good home!

Thanks. It sold a couple days ago. It looks like soon my Suburban will be calling Montana it's new home.

I am taking my motorcycle class this week and am thinking of getting a KLR 650 so I can still go out on the back roads. I will build a platform for it to go on the back of my bus and I might also use it for an expedition down to South America.

johnson4x4

Observer
Sad too see the Burb go. Your build was one of the many on this site that convinced me I needed one. I just picked up a 91 Suburban 1500 a couple months ago up in Gig Harbor. I cant wait to get back in the states and start building it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste