Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

Default some more pic's

Well as promised here are some more pictures of my suburban from this winter

2011_1116(006).JPG 2011_1120(038).JPG 2011_1122(003).JPG 2011_1209(012).JPG 2012_0114(002).JPG 2012_0114(005).JPG
    had to rescue this poor FJ cruiser out of the ditch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Little Red; 11-20-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Follow me on my latest adventure -- My Photography Website

1989 Suburban "Little Red" > Sold <
    1993 Bluebird bus "Almanzo"
    DREAM ~ DISCOVER ~ SHARE ~ INSPIRE

Great thread, and great looking 'Burban! How about some interior pics? Did you swap your front seats? I'm currently looking at options for my '87 V2500, as my front bucket seats are thrashed. I'd like to get some seats that won't require cutting up floor.

Updates? Thread is too good to let die :-/ lol

Quote Originally Posted by ctb619 View Post
    Great thread, and great looking 'Burban! How about some interior pics? Did you swap your front seats? I'm currently looking at options for my '87 V2500, as my front bucket seats are thrashed. I'd like to get some seats that won't require cutting up floor.
    I originally had a bench seat in my suburban which I did not like so I swapped it out for regular bucket seats and a center console out of another suburban of the same year that someone was parting out. The seats where not very nice so I got some Cabela’s trail gear seat covers which I really like. They have lots of storage pockets in the back for all my maps and other stuff and are very easy to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by legendaryandrew View Post
    Updates? Thread is too good to let die :-/ lol
    I have not done any further modifications at all this year but my plans for the suburban are still to install and 3” ORD lift, Buckstop winch bumper, rear bumper with tire/gas can carrier and eventually a new paint job and when I have enough money saved up I hope to do a 12v Cummins engine swap.

I am an aspiring professional nature/landscape photographer and lately my suburban has been doing duty getting me to hard to reach places. This picture is from a few days ago, you can see my tripod setup behind my suburban.

Default Update – Custom rear bumper/tire carrier

I have been searching craigslist for over a year to find the parts I want to modify my truck in a prize range I can afford and it’s really starting to pay off!

I found this custom made heavy duty rear bumper/tire carrier last week, made the 3.5 hour drive down to pick it up the same day (for only $200) and I just got it mounted a few days ago.

The cool part is that I actually bought this from a fellow Expedition Portal member who built it himself!

Here are some pictures:

ready to take the rear bumper off and mount this baby

I had to modify my bumper mounts a little to make it work but with some welding help from a friend I got her all mounted up

As a nature/landscape photographer I frequently take my suburban out on the local forest service roads, usually to get to a lookout spot somewhere up in the mountains. My objective was to take pictures of the beautiful sunset here but when I walked around my truck and noticed the sun at the perfect angle I just had to take this shot.
    Last edited by Little Red; 11-13-2012 at 07:51 AM.

I'm just pleased as punch that my bumper ended up on a fellow ExPo rig and hope it gives you many years of service. Did you end up notching the rear frame rails to get it up nice and snug?
    Looks great!
    1984 6.2 Suburban
    2008 650 Suzuki Vstrom

Quote Originally Posted by earthmuffin View Post
    I'm just pleased as punch that my bumper ended up on a fellow ExPo rig and hope it gives you many years of service. Did you end up notching the rear frame rails to get it up nice and snug?
    Looks great!
    I did notch the rear frame rails down a little although I mounted the bumper slightly lower than you had on your rig.
    I had to drill new holes anyways as none of them lined up and now I can still open the right rear door without having to swing the tire over, (untill I get a fullsize spare tire at least). And I kept the plastic cover piece mounted on the back so you cant see the small cap between the bumper and the truck.

Little Red-
    That 3rd Pic with the sun through the roof rack looks like it could be an advertisement for some sort of mountain touring company! Looks like a brochure. Awesome Pic.

Super nice pics Red! I like the new bumper and tire carrier. How much did you modify that bumper yourself? Thanks for keeping us updated with pics. Cheers, Chilli.

Nice BUB. I've always loved them but fuel prices and BUBS just dont mix
    --Always a bit lost--
    http://www.jordanmay.com

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast