My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

Little Red

Adventurer
I bought this Suburban early January 2011 and I am building this to be my new overland / expedition rig.

Specifications:
1989 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
5.7L 350 V8 TBI
700R4 4speed auto

I wanted to get a ¾ ton but got a good deal on this one, because it has a rebuilt engine and transmission both with less than 30k miles on them. Maybe doing an axle swap in the feature? I also wanted a red one with grey interior.

I have owned a 2000 Dodge Durango before that I modified as my overland vehicle but used it as a trade in to buy a Dodge challenger. I had been to Yellowstone with it and many other camping and road trips. However it was a little too small to sleep 2 people and haul all our gear (I am 6’7”). Specially if we bring the dogs too.

I always liked the older square body style Suburbans (1973-1991) and have had an 86 ¾ ton suburban that I recently sold. I used that one mainly for hauling fire wood, dump runs, etc.
I chose the 89 to 91 model year suburbans above any other year because it has TBI (the fuel injection gets me about 2 to 4 miles more than my 86), has overdrive and has the newer grille and some newer interior and these are the last years with solid axels.

before_small.jpg

Here is a picture from when I bought it.

Step2_small.jpg

This is after I did some modifications.

I took the ski box off, took the running boards off (better clearance) and installed 2 Bully aluminum steps up front so my wife can get in. Took off the ugly spoiler and installed a LED 3rd brake light.

Mainbig.jpg

This picture is from late January

I bought black 17” rims and 33”Dean mud terrain tires (just in time before the snow), also got a 2nd battery for dual battery set up. (still have to get everything hooked up and decide what system to use)

2011_0422033.jpg

I found a roof rack for it, repainted it (with spray on bedliner) and mounted it. (April 2011)

2011_0606002.jpg

As it sits now (June 2011), I spray painted the rocker panels black with spray on bedliner, I mounted some backup lights, put the spare tire on the roof rack, installed my CB radio and made a storage/sleeping platform for the back.

Current modifications:

- 17” black steel wheels
- 33” Dean Mud Terrain tires
- Custom safari roof rack
- Cabalas Trail gear seat covers
- LMC bug shield
- Dual batteries
- 2 pro comp off road lights
- Emergency warning lights

Future modification I plan on doing:

- finish dual battery setup
- 3-4 inch lift (ORD)
- winch bumper with brush guard
- 12000 pound winch
- rear bumper with gas can mount and tire carrier
- Snorkel (like the Suburban in Dante's Peak)
- Fog lights, spot lights and backup lights
- Diesel engine (Cummins if I can afford it)
- 3/4 ton axels
- Bushwacker fender flares
- Paint job
- and who knows what else

I will post pictures and keep you guys updated of the progress.
It will be slow as I have limited money and time to work on it.
But I am planning on driving this truck to Alaska summer 2012 (if I can afford the gas) and hope to have all modifications done by then.

There is lots of great info on this site and I am glad I found it, (I wish I knew all this when I build my Durango) thanks to everyone for sharing this…

Last edited:

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
We had an '89 Suburban when I was growing up. It took us to many a fishing hole. Great rig!

Welcome and good luck with your build!

coreys88burban

Adventurer
nice, i love red/black combos. what 3rd brake light did you install? i was looking at the tailgate fire/ice blinker ones from recon

Little Red

Adventurer
3rd brake light

what 3rd brake light did you install? i was looking at the tailgate fire/ice blinker ones from recon

I installed a factory 3rd brake light of a 92-99 suburban, the picture has too much snow on it to really see it but I will post some more soon.

Little Red

Adventurer
update

Alright here is a little update on my project

I am planning on driving my suburban from WA to Alaska summer 2012
So I am hoping to have all the work done by then.

Just replaced the front brakes last week and I finally found a pair of bucket seats that match my suburban, I will be driving to Bellingham today to pick them up.

Little Red

Adventurer
Snorkel on Suburban, anyone?

I just watched the movie Dante’s Peak and it has an awesome suburban in it with a snorkel.
I now have to add a snorkel to my list of future modifications!

So far I have only found 1 write up on CK5 forum about installing a snorkel on a suburban.
Has anyone here done this? If so please post some pictures.
I have read the ARB Snorkel from an FJ80 fits on the suburban with a little adjusting.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I just watched the movie Dante’s Peak and it has an awesome suburban in it with a snorkel.
I now have to add a snorkel to my list of future modifications!

So far I have only found 1 write up on CK5 forum about installing a snorkel on a suburban.
Has anyone here done this? If so please post some pictures.
I have read the ARB Snorkel from an FJ80 fits on the suburban with a little adjusting.

I heard it was an fj60, actually

and yeah either way, some time with a heat gun to help massage it against the A-pillar is required, otherwise it fits pretty darned well.

The movie studio actually made 2-3 of them if I remember correctly, and the one in the river actually did ford it, without much drama.

dbreid

Adventurer
Nice rig! I am partial, because I have an 89 as well. They are really great trucks! If you have any questions about how I fitted mine, lemme know.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
i asked 4wheel parts to verify my info i found and they say, it is in fact a Safari snorkle made for any 80 SERIES Toyota (passanger side) 4wheelparts in tacoma will charge $409 for the parts, but you havve to install on your own.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i asked 4wheel parts to verify my info i found and they say, it is in fact a Safari snorkle made for any 80 SERIES Toyota (passanger side) 4wheelparts in tacoma will charge $409 for the parts, but you havve to install on your own.

Check out this pirate4x4.com thread:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476841

He does, in fact, use an 80 series snorkel like corey said above with a bit of heating up to get it to fit the contour of the 'burb's windshield.

Looks pretty clean to me, though I'm still not sure they didn't use a 60 series on the movie trucks. Online friend of mine was actually involved with the building of those trucks. Don't remember which website that was on. He had pics of the trucks being built, and showed them sitting on the set all in a row...

Anywho, OP if you like the look of the 'burb in the link, it's a moot point. Grab yourself a heat gun and a 80 series snorkel. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste