My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

earthmuffin

Observer
I'm just pleased as punch that my bumper ended up on a fellow ExPo rig and hope it gives you many years of service. Did you end up notching the rear frame rails to get it up nice and snug?
Looks great!

Little Red

Adventurer
I'm just pleased as punch that my bumper ended up on a fellow ExPo rig and hope it gives you many years of service. Did you end up notching the rear frame rails to get it up nice and snug?
Looks great!

I did notch the rear frame rails down a little although I mounted the bumper slightly lower than you had on your rig.
I had to drill new holes anyways as none of them lined up and now I can still open the right rear door without having to swing the tire over, (untill I get a fullsize spare tire at least). And I kept the plastic cover piece mounted on the back so you cant see the small cap between the bumper and the truck.

BigTex

Observer
Little Red-
That 3rd Pic with the sun through the roof rack looks like it could be an advertisement for some sort of mountain touring company! Looks like a brochure. Awesome Pic.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Super nice:Wow1: pics Red! I like the new bumper and tire carrier. How much did you modify that bumper yourself? Thanks for keeping us updated with pics. Cheers, Chilli.:)

Little Red

Adventurer
Thanks for all the comments guys...

Super nice:Wow1: pics Red! I like the new bumper and tire carrier. How much did you modify that bumper yourself? Thanks for keeping us updated with pics. Cheers, Chilli.:)

I have not done any modifications to the bumper myself except for drilling 2 holes to mount my license plate. I plan on mounting 2 led backup lights on the bumper as well but other than that it's pretty much just what I wanted.

Little Red

Adventurer
Update: Project Dante’s Peak

A little over a year ago I picked up a snorkel for an FJ 80 which is the closest fit to use on a suburban. I never got around to actually mounting it and placed it somewhere in my shed. I was recently cleaning my shed and came across the snorkel, so I though it was time to finally tackle ‘project Dante’s Peak’.

Today I finished mounting the Safari snorkel. It was a lot of work especially since I had to bend it a little to make it fit my suburban. I first tried using a heat gun to be able to bend the plastic but this did not work so I held the snorkel close to my woodstove and was eventually able to get it to fit my truck.
There is a pretty good write up on pirate4x4 that covers all the steps of installing it: pirate4x4

I still have to hook up the hoses to the air intake and in order to do that I also have to relocate my coolant reservoir so it’s not all finished yet but here is what it looks like now.

IMG_20121114_141303.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality cell-phone picture, I will try and take some better ones tomorrow.

Last edited:

Little Red

Adventurer
Here is another picture of my new rear bumper/tire carrier and the snorkel mounted on my suburban...

2012_1120015.jpg

I took some pictures earlier of the mountains behind the trees when the sun came out for just a few minutes, thats why the tripod is on my roof rack.
I found out that the new tire carrier also aids as a nice step to get up on my roof rack :)

Little Red

Adventurer
Please vote for my pictures to be included in the 2013 EXPO Calendar!

I submitted these 2 pic’s for consideration in the 2013 Expedition portal Calendar.
I need your vote to make it happen…

Here is the tread with all the contestants: 2013-EXPEDITION-PORTAL-CALENDAR-Time-to-VOTE

You can vote for 12 of your favorites and vote for one image to be on the cover.

39-sub01.jpg

40-sub02.jpg

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 39-sub01.jpg
    39-sub01.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 16

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
A snorkel on a Suburban looks cool just like in the movie but if you ever really need it, you have bigger problems than digesting water into the engine. For some reason the Lipstick on a Pig thread comes to mind here. :ylsmoke:

Little Red

Adventurer
Here are some more pictures from about 2 weeks ago when I took her out for some fun in the snow...

DSC_0423_zps0f97fad3.jpg

DSC_0444_zps1fb1e0fb.jpg

DSC_0424_zpscb65796b.jpg

Enjoy, it was a beautiful day out!

AdvSwede

Hey, Nice Thread.

I purchased a '93 Suburban 1500 yesterday. I am planning to do some mods on it too. The primary use would be for a hunting, tow vehicle. Do you have some close up pics of the rear bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste