My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

Little Red

Adventurer
3rd brake light

Any update on this? I'm really interested in this mod as well.

Sorry I have not posted an update on this yet, I lost my SD card out of my camera. I am going to buy a new one today and then I will post some pictures.

Little Red

Adventurer
Snorkel

Check out this pirate4x4.com thread:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476841

He does, in fact, use an 80 series snorkel like corey said above with a bit of heating up to get it to fit the contour of the 'burb's windshield.. :)

thanks for the link, it looks like it fits very well

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will be heading to 4wheel parts in Lynwood and see how much it would cost me.
Hopefully less than what corey said.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Nice looking rig, that body style is my second favorite after the NBS. If you need some direction on the snorkel, check out this one on CarDomain, it was a good source of information when I wanted to do my snorkel conversion.

Click me!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
thanks for the link, it looks like it fits very well

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will be heading to 4wheel parts in Lynwood and see how much it would cost me.
Hopefully less than what corey said.

cheers, good luck. also consider sierra expeditions, they tend to have good prices AND sales every once in a while.

If you go with 4wp, check online, cuz sometimes there's promo codes for a % off. I think I got a free cover and 20% off when I ordered my winch from them, for example. :)

Little Red

Adventurer
Snorkel

So I checked 4wd parts and the local off road shop and the cheapest I found is $355 for the snorkel, but I could not convince my wife of the need for a snorkel.
So I geuz I will have to hold off on the snorkel for now.
Definitely want to putt one on at some point though, maybe I can find one on CL for less.

Going to be building some kind of sleeping platform for the back first.
I really like what dbreid did to his suburban, however I will have to make my platform longer since I am 6’7” and will have to fold the back seat down to be able to sleep.

Little Red

Adventurer
3rd brake light

So here is the 3rd brake light I installed it is nothing fancy but works great and looks like it is supposed to be there.
It is an LED light, that I took it off an 92-99 model Suburban at pull-a-part and paid only 2 dollars for it. This light can also be found on some other GM vehicles, so pretty much every junk yard will have one.
The installation was fairly easy, I drilled 3 holes, one for the wires and one on each side of the light for the mounting screws. On the bottom of the light is a gasket to seal it to the roof, I coated that and the screws with some silicone sealant to make sure it does not leak around the holes.
Then I grounded the negative wire to the frame and the positive to the right brake light wire. Right now it works but it will flash when you turn on the right blinker because there is only one wire for both the brakes and blinker so I have to find out where the brake light switch is located and then wire it to there instead of the light.

2011_0207.jpg

I missed this one:

Can we ask how much you payed for that wicked Burb?:Wow1:

I paid 1700 for it, when it was mostly stock, it did come with the black roof box. And the engine and trany are both rebuilt with about 30k on them.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Great choice in ExPo Trucks Little Red!

I miss my 89' Burb Big Red
scan0002.jpg

4 inch ProComp lift
4.56 us gears F&R EATON Posi in the rear
35x1.5x15 Goodyaer MTR's
Sarari Snorkel Using stock air cleaner set up[ will look for pics]
also great tow rig
scan0001-1.jpg

UP ON TWO
scan0001.jpg

Keep up the Mod's

sold the truck but still have the snorkel pm me if interested

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking rig Red. Do not worry about the other Burb that has changed hands. Your new rig will be better in every way because you now have the knowledge on what you want and need. I can not wait to see the new pics of your new Burb with the mods I know you will be doing!:peepwall:

Little Red

Adventurer
Update

I drove to Vancouver WA last week and bought a nice full-size roof rack and snorkel that I found on CL for my suburban. I paid less than half of the new price, so it was worth the 4 hour drive (one way).
I am working on cleaning the roof rack and then I am repainting it with spray on bed liner.
I will post some pic’s later today

>
Suburbans rock, they just need a 6bt Cummins in them :)

I would love to do a cummins swap sometime in the future if I can afford it, But for now I am focusing on getting it expedition/overland ready.
I also just got all the materials in that I ordered for my drawer/sleeping platform, so I will begin building that soon too.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
I drove to Vancouver WA last week and bought a nice full-size roof rack and snorkel that I found on CL for my suburban. I paid less than half of the new price, so it was worth the 4 hour drive (one way).
I am working on cleaning the roof rack and then I am repainting it with spray on bed liner.
I will post some pic's later today

WHAT! i wish id seen the snorkle first hahahaha. what model did you get? just remember its usless (for water crossings at least) without an electric fan you can switch off and a sealed electrical system.- oh and the duplicolor bedliner spray can did good for me, but do it slow its heavy particles and runs easy but i hear its the best spray can liner and looks good!

Little Red

Adventurer
Roof Rack

WHAT! i wish id seen the snorkle first hahahaha. what model did you get? just remember its usless (for water crossings at least) without an electric fan you can switch off and a sealed electrical system.- oh and the duplicolor bedliner spray can did good for me, but do it slow its heavy particles and runs easy but i hear its the best spray can liner and looks good!

I got the Safari snorkel for the FJ80. I know I will have to do a lot more modifications for it to be useful but at least it will look cool until I get that all done.
And yes I picked up 2 cans of Dupli-Color truck bed coating that I will use for the roof rack, if the weather gets better this weekend.

Also here is a picture of the roof rack I bought
roofrack02.jpg

And here is one of my suburban with the bugshield mounted
Copyof2011_0213.jpg

coreys88burban

Adventurer
thats going to look really good when its all mounted! if you have a welder id put a deflector on the front of that rack! sure would help reduce noise and help mpg's haha looks like its strong though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles