The Sausage Thread - Favorite Type, Favorite Vendor

DarinM

Explorer
A couple years or so ago, my brother and I finally talked our grandpa into taking us step by step through the Bachman family sausage making process. We grew up eating this stuff from time to time and it is really the absolute best German style sausage I have ever eaten - anytime, anywhere. We've had it with venison and wild boar. We've had it with domestic hog, beef, the occasional rattlesnake thrown in. It's traditionally a very lean, coarsely ground, mildly spiced sausage. It's seasoned mainly with coarse ground black pepper and generous amounts of mustard seed. And it's packed in natural casings, of course. It's then smoked over whatever type of wood you feel like using - we've used pecan and apple most recently. It's typically prepared by cooking in a pan with some water and then as the water cooks off, you just finish it by browning up the casing for a good "pop" when you bite it. (Stuff like this is why I am not a 100% vegetarian).

There are a few places around here in the Texas hillcountry where you can get some great sausage. Southside Market in Elgin makes some great sausage - although it is really greasy. You can go to Wurstfest in New Braunfels and eat sausage and drink beer until you fall into a coma in a ditch somewhere.

If our plans work out, sometime this year if you're in New Braunfels, TX on a weekend, come by the Farmer's Market. You'll be able to sample Bachman's German Sausage, and buy a few links to take with you. Nathan and I are going to start grinding, packing and smoking this stuff and hope we can share the greatness with a bunch of people. We're also going to be working on preparing other German and Swedish foods from our heritage. Bieracks, sweet breads, things like that.

Salue

Adventurer
Are you referring to the "You can't beat our meat" Owen's Meats in Cle Elum?

Yes! Their jerky is the best I've had; every time I pass through the area, I always stop by. I've tried a few of their different sausages too, not bad but their jerky and landjaeger is the reason I go there....Oh yeah, their spicy pepperoni is pretty bomb too!

cwsqbm

Explorer
I grew up loving the white sausage (Biała kiełbasa) my uncle would make - he and my grandfather both had been butchers. Now, I get it at a local Polish deli - their supplier does many of the polish delis in Chicago. Definitely not like what most places serve as "polish sausage".

I also like kaszanka - a polish blood sausage - from the same place.

Mamontof

Explorer
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/mamontof/Food and Cooking/SDC12524.jpg

SDC12524.jpg
SDC12777.jpg

SDC12778.jpg

Scranton Pennsylvania German American Dry cheddar weal , or North Italian/Alpine pork :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier