Land Cruiser Questions

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hey guys, I just have a couple questions about land cruisers..
I have been told that Land Cruisers are the best vehicles on the planet..
I'm thinking about getting rid of my 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for one, I still owe about 13 on the Jeep and its worth about 18. So i get the equity out of that, plus about 5 i have saved up. I'm in college so i want something that isnt going to break down on me (like the jeep has) and i really need 4x4 and a trailer hitch. so i figure this is the best way to go...but my questions are what series would u guys reccomend? i like the 90s-00s..and is there anything that u can do to change the mpg? what are they rated to tow?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
You're in college? I'd say buy a cheap 98-02 Tacoma/4Runner 4x4 5sp. The parts are cheaper and gets better MPG. And from experience, college parking lots are door ding havens, which a smaller truck would fair better.

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
I would say it depends on what your goals are. Last year I switched from a newer tacoma double cab to a 100s LC. I had owned an 80s before and just missed that truck ! I still think it is one of the best produced LC out there (with lockers of course) , but I ended up with a 100s (with rear locker) which just fit me a little better and has a bit more power for towing and open road. I could not be happier. I would do it if it took me closer to no car payment... but make sure you factor in at least $1200 after the purchase for a maintenance cycle. If you start looking take your time and buy one with a good history. Good luck the search is not easy....

LifeOverland

Adventurer
I say go for an 80 series '95+. I just bought mine after selling a well built FJ62 and regretting it. I paid $3,000 for a '95 with 215k miles non-locker. It's not the most beautiful truck but it had a decent service history and fairly well maintained. If you can turn a wrench the maintenance cost comes down but they still drink the fuel. Check out ih8mud.com read up in the 80s section in th FAQ and Slees buying an 80 LC page, tons of good info.

Good luck!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just bought a 96 80 series. I love it! You are not getting good mileage out of your jeep, are you? I am actually pleased with the highway consumption. It isn't great, but if you don't drive it too fast it all the time, it is passable. The ride and comfort make up for it! With a 10k budget, you should be able to find a great rig and still have some cash left over to do maintenance.

Skrewball

Observer
keep it stock and the MPG's are tolerable.

80 series is a great cruiser, just get a 93 or newer.

if you can afford a 100 series go for it!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
is there anything that you can do to help boost mpg?
CAI/Snorkel?... Exhaust? some type of eco chip?

Mod the guy behind the wheel, stick to the speed limit, do not try and race away from a stop. When you hit a hill do not keep your foot on the floor just except slow and steady. This has worked for me in the past better than any mod to improve fuel economy.

Expedition Leader
I have been told that Land Cruisers are the best vehicles on the planet..

You were told right! :)

...but my questions are what series would u guys reccomend? i like the 90s-00s..

On a college budget, like others have already recommended, a '93 or later 80-series.

and is there anything that u can do to change the mpg? what are they rated to tow?

is there anything that you can do to help boost mpg?
CAI/Snorkel?... Exhaust? some type of eco chip?

There is very little you can do to change the mileage; I put headers and a K&N air filter on my '91 FJ80 and got it from 11 mpg to 14 mpg, but headers always rust out eventually and the K&N isn't very good for your engine. Bottom line is, if fuel economy is a big concern then a Land Cruiser is not for you.

As far as towing goes, I don't know what they're rated for but I used my FJ80 to tow a good-sized single-axle box trailer and even once to tow a heavy dual-axle trailer with a Kubota tractor on it. It pulled both without a problem, though the top speed on the highway was reduced and it did not start or stop quickly.

For your budget you could probably afford a 100-series Cruiser also, but as has been said the 80-series are fairly indestructible tanks. FWIW my FJ80 is still a daily driver for one of my sons at 250,000 miles, has never had a major repair, and I would drive it across the country tomorrow without a second thought.

Corbet

Observer
FZJ80 rated for 5000lbs, 7000lbs on the 100 series I think?

Mileage will suck less with the 100 but still not good. My stock 80 got 18 on the Highway. 16 when I went to 33's. 14 after I added a 2" lift. And now 11-12 with 35's.

Not much you can do about it. Gearing might help me a little but not enough to justify the cost for just an increase in MPG.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Corbet, I assume you have stock gearing then? And no great drama driving around Colorado?

Last edited:

CowboyUp

Get a 93, is the best, full axles, buss trany, heavy and build like a tank, plus on hwy mpg is 12 to 14, hehehehe :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne