Spur of the Moment 3600mi road trip.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow, just incredible pics, thanks so much for taking them and then sharing with us

I love Utah and your pics/story make me want to load up the family and go, NOW :)

Moody

Needs to get out more
Great report...I am convinced that the best trips turn out to be the best experiences when there isn't too much planning taking place before getting out there.

Thanks for your trip report.

I think I need more desert.

ywen

Explorer
The plan for the next day was to drive down Long Canyon Rd and explore part of the White Rim Trail up to Thelma and Louise Point, where they filmed the end scene in that movie. Speaking to the ranger at Islands I found it should take about 5-6 hours round trip. I headed towards Dead Horse State Park and took the Long Canyon Rd split. Interesting scenery along the way and clear weather meant I could see for miles around.

img5075o.jpg

Is the road going to drop off?

img5085h.jpg

p1030090m.jpg

WOW! I said

p1030109f.jpg

I'm embarassed to say that I chickened out at the first major obstacle after entering into the canyon at Pucker Pass. It didn't look passable to me with my worn stock suspension (including sagging leafs).

p1030115q.jpg

p1030118z.jpg

The "Drive of Shame".. coming up the hill after my failed attempt.

p1030120e.jpg

I pulled onto the Pucker Pass overlook. Got out the camera, booze, and just played around by the cliff until sunset. Watched a pimped out D90 tackle the trail and then speeding towards Potash Rd.

Do you see the LR?

img5188d.jpg

My "playground"

69423298.jpg

img5089k.jpg

p1030123u.jpg

img5129q.jpg

img5118ij.jpg

img5237t.jpg

Then was treated to a beautiful sunset.

lasalsunset.jpg

img5234r.jpg

Was going to camp here for the night but something happened that freaked me out and I booked it.

p10301302.jpg

I was going to start cooking so reach up to turn on an LED ring light hung from the topper ceiling. No power. I figured the battery must have came loose from the road bumps. I take the light off and open the two piece clamshell. To my surprise, two of the 3 batteries were entirely missing!

inside280.jpg

Then I look down and the batteries were laying on the bed of the truck! I looked at the light for a few seconds and realized there was no way the battery could have fallen out of the light with the clamshell casing still intact. I immediately thought back to the odd sound from the truck I heard earlier which I brushed off as animal noise. I quickly gathered up my stuff and left.

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. It has been very inspiring to read other ppl's trip reports. To be able to "get away" from mere written and visual accounts is very powerful. Hopefully I'm contributing to that effort as well.

ywen,

tell us more about your camera - and maybe how you composed the night shots

The images I've posted were taken with my smart phone, Panasonic GF1, or Canon 5D Mark 2.
For the night shots, I used the 5D with a 24mm f/1.4 or 17-40mm f/4 zoom. For composing at night, if I'm unable to see certain objects for composition, I'd put the headlamp on it so I can see it in my viewfinder. This method also helped with the focusing.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Absolutely inspiring pics, and sketch - you're a talented guy! I'm a big fan of no-plan trips :elkgrin:

Thanks for taking the time to share, eagerly awaiting more.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Great report and pics.
But about that spooky incident...where were you when you heard the strange sounds from your truck, that you mention?
Man, you must've freaked but big when you saw the batteries on the truck bed!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Beautifully captured scenery Ywen. Many of the canyon lands and arch shots are absolutely stunning. Well done. :Wow1:

Now you have me wanting to go back to Utah. :elkgrin:

ywen

Explorer
The next day, I woke up early and left Moab for Valley of the Gods.

20101228082729787.jpg

Breakfast of Champion: Black Coffee from motel lobby + PB out of the jar

20101228083402040.jpg

Made it down to VOG. Pure Epicness. I passed by a couple of cars at the entrance and did not see another soul for the rest of the drive so I stopped often for pictures.

img5250c.jpg

img5243i.jpg

p1030173c.jpg

p1030174ym.jpg

p1030176u.jpg

I really regret for just kind of driving through that area. There were so many epic views, that i should have at least considered to camp there. After VOG, I debated on what to do. Really wanted to see Goosenecks State Park but also thought about driving down to Page, AZ to see Lake Powell and the Antelope Canyon. Decided on Page in the end but this turned out not to be such a wise choice.

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
3 hours later, made it down to Page, AZ. Passed Monument Valley but will return on the way back.

p1030179q.jpg

Hey! The Forrest Gump road. No idea it's here, but when I saw it, I knew it had to be it

img5259l.jpg

p1030178x.jpg

Glen Canyon Dam. whoop de doo! Didn't even get out my real camera for it..

20101228160431338.jpg

I was absolutely blow away by a picture from Tucson T4R's website that was taken from a camp spot in Glen Canyon NRA. He was nice enough to tell me where it was so I attempted to go there. The Ranger laughed at my plans because all the roads where impassable due to mud. So I camped at the Wahweap marina instead. Arrived minutes before Sunset and got started on dinner right away.

p1030182r.jpg

p1030187j.jpg

This wasn't how I planned on spending the evening. The campsite was well maintained but the ugly sodium lighting all around, and vehicle traffic really ruined the experience for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles