Scotch Sundays. Bring it.

MrInvisible

Ok.... I'll admit it....my every day scotch.... (every weekend anyhow) is what Ralphs has on sale... Cutty, Dewars, J &B. My special occasion scotch... without a doubt....
Laphroaig.. from Trader Joe's. :wings:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Ok.... I'll admit it....my every day scotch.... (every weekend anyhow) is what Ralphs has on sale... Cutty, Dewars, J &B. My special occasion scotch... without a doubt....
Laphroaig.. from Trader Joe's. :wings:

If you like Laphroaig try the Quarter cask version. It's the same only slightly different. I can't explain how. It is the only Scotch I prefer on the rocks. Some cool water would probably be good too.

constructeur

Adventurer
1. What is your "everyday" scotch of choice?

Depends on the season. I've been drinking Irish Redbreast when it's a bit warmer and nicer out, something a bit more robust in inclimate weather. I've found over time that I'm not too partial to Speysides, but it's not like I was hating life when I was giving them a try ya know?

2. When you go big or want something a little nicer for a special occasion or just to enjoy, what do you pour?
No one thing, I've been making a big effort to try new things though, and support the smaller and hopefully privately owned distilleries in the process. A goog example would be getting my first bottle of Bruichladdich or Springbank and letting others give it a taste as well.
I'm pretty new to the whole Scotch thing too and was a bit bummed to find out how many distilleries are owned by investors and premium brands corporations, and I'm having a good time searching out and supporting the smaller efforts when I can.
3. Do you travel with scotch, and if so, what is your preferred method of transport?
Cheers!
If I'm going fishing with a group, I bring the bottle, if it's just 2-3 of us for an afternoon, a flask will work.

Bruichladdich.

Another one for Bruichladdich here!

I avoid Glenfiddich and Glenlivet as they are too generic for my tastes.

here, here!

I've had a good time watching the 'Ralfy' you tube reviews as he's fun to watch, and educational at times: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFRhHBsnH0&feature=channel"]YouTube - whisky review 30 - Laphroaig 10 y.o. cask Islay[/ame]

v8chris

This is well hard, making me choose!

Over here we have a huge choice so I like to vary a bit from time to time, but generally it would be something like below.

1. for everday I'm quite liking Bowmore, specifically their "Mariner"

2. for special occaisions' I'm torn between Craggenmore, Talisker or Jura "superstition" - depends on which I have in.

3. Generally I don't tend to take any with me but if I do, I have a round, flat hip flask I got as a present from my Parents.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, but the other day I got to sip on a bit of Johnny Walker Blue Label purchased 7 years ago and not opened until we decided to chill out in front of the fire. It was pretty good, but I still go for the Crown Royal (even though it isn't scotch).

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Okay, I like to drink scotch. I'm new to the club, but have had a quick learning curve as to what I definitely like and don't like. With that being said, here are the three questions that came to the top of my head:

2. When you go big or want something a little nicer for a special occasion or just to enjoy, what do you pour?

3. Do you travel with scotch, and if so, what is your preferred method of transport?

Cheers!

This is an excellent thread.

For me?

1) The Macallan--12 yr.
2) Balvenie 21 yr PortWood.
3) SS Sigg flask.
Sigg Flask1.JPG

For something in between? Balvenie 15 yr is an excellent scotch for the price. Careful though, it can be a bit too smooth ;)

rdonahe

Observer
I'm definitely an Islay fan. Everyday Scotch: Ardbeg, and special occasion: Laphroaig Quarter Cask or Lagavulin.

I travel with Bourbon though in whatever flask (plastic or metal) is handy. Contents? Wild Turkey.

4GRAINR

Adventurer
Has anyone ever tried the Scapa or the Yamazaki? I bought a bottle of each last time I was at BevMo.

The Scapa was delightful and I continue to enjoy it every time I have some.

The Yamazaki was different than what I'm used to, but went down very smooth last time we camped. It could have been because it was our salvation from the near "biblical" wind and rain we had, but either way, after a couple the wicked witch could have flown by in the tornado and I would have offered her a glass.

Where is the :scotch: smiley? Seriously!

Okay, I like to drink scotch. I'm new to the club, but have had a quick learning curve as to what I definitely like and don't like. With that being said, here are the three questions that came to the top of my head:

Cheers!

1. Glenmorangie or Macallan Select Oak

2. Bunnahabhain 25 YO or Strathisla 1963

3. leather wrapped cylindrical stainless steel flask with two stainless steel cups

4GRAINR

Adventurer
What are people's opinions on the Lagavulin Single Malt? I have heard it described as the "perfect blend of sweet and peat". Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior