UJOR Build Thread

fmboss429

Observer
Chris, have you swapped a new 5.0 for a 5.4 yet? I have the 5.0 in my truck and it's a stout motor. Think cheap van + create 5.0 = BAM! I know in the trucks they fit the same foot print as all the modular motor family. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. The wife is warming up to the idea of a camping van.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Chris, have you swapped a new 5.0 for a 5.4 yet? I have the 5.0 in my truck and it's a stout motor. Think cheap van + create 5.0 = BAM! I know in the trucks they fit the same foot print as all the modular motor family. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. The wife is warming up to the idea of a camping van.

The 5.0L "Coyote" would never fit in an E-Series engine bay - have you seen how tall and wide they are? Good engine, but a very difficult transplant in any older vehicle.

fmboss429

Observer
The 5.0L "Coyote" would never fit in an E-Series engine bay - have you seen how tall and wide they are? Good engine, but a very difficult transplant in any older vehicle.
Sure. They aren't any bigger then any other DOHC mod motor. I haven't put a tape measure to one, but I've played with plenty of mustang mod motors (both SOHC and DOHC) to know they fit the same cubic footprint as one another. Ford designed it that way. Said with all due respect. I am not familiar with the size constraints of a van, and I'm sure if it were easy Ford would have offered it that way from the factory.

With that having been said, Ford my not have wanted to invest in the additional tooling for a product line they intended on phasing out. I do know the ECU's are different between the 5.0 and the 4.6/5.4 family of engines.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

We've measured and thought about/discussed it many times. Its not too wide, checked the last time we had a body pulled and we've got a lot of trial/error with the Bronco we're building. One downfall is that the Coyote never came with power steering so you have to get a new acc drive setup for that, etc. I think a Coyote E series would be great but is it worth the investment..... not sure.

fmboss429

Observer
We've measured and thought about/discussed it many times. Its not too wide, checked the last time we had a body pulled and we've got a lot of trial/error with the Bronco we're building. One downfall is that the Coyote never came with power steering so you have to get a new acc drive setup for that, etc. I think a Coyote E series would be great but is it worth the investment..... not sure.

When you solve the power steering issue with the Bronco, bundle it up as a kit for the vans and I'll buy the first one... Personally I dig the electric steering.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
When you solve the power steering issue with the Bronco, bundle it up as a kit for the vans and I'll buy the first one...

We used an accy drive kit from BC Broncos, getting close to firing that rig up. It's all the little things that take time & $$. AC lines, PS plumbing, fuel system, fan (the alt faces backwards) and wiring of course. It's almost ready for exhaust, then we're home free!

mgmetalworks

Explorer

There are a few companies out there with power steering pumps/accessory drives for the Coyote. Don't let that hold you back. ;)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, there are some nice options out there. It's just one of a few hurdles. Nothing compared to what you're doing though!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, wonder if this will sell quickly...is the market going up? $42k seems very high. Just my $0.02.

Time will tell. It's priced for what he has in it. I do get some emails from guys that want a van immediately but this one is a bit big for most. We have a nice low mileage V10 build coming up soon that will be for sale immediately but I'm keeping it to the more user friendly 6" on 35's.

350outrage

Adventurer
Wow, wonder if this will sell quickly...is the market going up? $42k seems very high. Just my $0.02.

Well, from the look of it I bet seller has at least that much in it, but with 140,000 mi I doubt it will pull $42k. But. . . ya just never know. There are some people in this world with a lot more money than time. And you cant usually just go pop for a van like that at your local dealer. Will be interested to see what it brings.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hey 2 quick questions. With the rsc upgrade is 17" rims the smallest or could you run 16.5" rims? (Have a bunch of brand new hummer tires in the garage) Second question with trimming would 37" tires fit under with 6" lift? Thought I saw a build somewhere but cant find it.
Thanks!!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey 2 quick questions. With the rsc upgrade is 17" rims the smallest or could you run 16.5" rims? (Have a bunch of brand new hummer tires in the garage) Second question with trimming would 37" tires fit under with 6" lift? Thought I saw a build somewhere but cant find it.
Thanks!!

I don't think the 16.5 will clear, its tight with the 17. With front fender trimming you can squeeze a 37 under the 6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94