In search of the "perfect" camper frame

LACamper

Adventurer
Nice! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Tempcoat is another insulation product you might want to take a look at. I haven't played with it yet, but one of their distributors is in the next building from my office. From what he's told me its a silica based product added to paint. Used on the interior of a home it looks just like house paint and can be painted over if you want but adds another 5% or so of insulation. A bit more insulation for virtually no weight addition seems like a good idea. Not very expensive either... $60 for 5 gallons, IIRC... I've been toying with the idea of doing the underside of my roof in the attic (after I replace the roof in the next year or two).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks. Im glad Im at a point of actually doing something.... something more than collecting parts and drawing fun pictures anyway. :coffee:

On with the bed, the plasma cutter came in handy this evening.

I cut the tops of all the screws off, and removed a good deal of junk from the bed. The rear apron, the under body boxes, and started removing the long runners under the bed.
This bed looks like it was originally built for a truck with much narrower frame rails than my F250. These will be removed, in favor of some sturdy 2x3 square tubing, at the proper width.
The pivots will attach to the 2x3 square tubing

And unless I want to stand upside down, with sparks landing on my head for an hour, I think Ill flip the entire bed over to finish with the bolts :ylsmoke:

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pushing on...

After all of the old screws were removed, all holes were welded up.

17.jpg

The bed was then relocated outside to make room for the truck in the shop.
Still lots of grinding to do on the bed, but that will wait until the pivot frame is fabricated.

18.jpg

Truck back in the shop, rear tire and spare removed, more cleaning....
It looks like I have a couple generations of electrical "hacks" to wort out with the rear wiring.
Everything was working, but I think I have numerous duplicates, and nothing was done with heat shrink or friction tape.

20.jpg

Next up is to work out the rear pivot...

21.jpg

:ylsmoke:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow, it sure does look nice!

I have always liked the idea of a lifted subi. I recall seeing one that had a three inch lift and snorkel. It was for sale here a year or three ago.

Great looking car, congrats on keeping it so nice.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Was able to get a good deal of fabrication done today. The front mount is done, just waiting on some custom U-bolts.

The entire thing will be insulated from the frame by hardwood

24.jpg

25.jpg

Im no pro, but I can hold my own. And not too bad considering ALL of the steel used for the front mount was salvaged (FREE) :ylsmoke:

26.jpg

The side rails were also fabricated. 1x3 square tube, sandwiched with fish plates. Then 1-3/4" holes bored to accept the rubber bushings.

These bushings are actually "axle pivot bushings" used on the front end of this truck. They should do great.

Bolts for all bushings are 9/16" Grade 8

27.jpg

Lots more to do...

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So are you going to go with a single pivot mount at the rear, or will you use springs to hold the rest of the bed on?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Rear pivot, and rubber snubbers are in the plans right now.

Here are some more pics...

After lots of cutting, the old bed was fitted over the new subframe

32.jpg

It was a royal PITA to cut all of these true....

33.jpg

A look at the rear pivot mocked up. This will be reworked considerably.

34.jpg

One of my not-so-professional, but good enough welds.

36.jpg

And what it looks like so far... It is now sitting 2 inches lower than before :ylsmoke:

37.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Interesting conversations here. You won't get me on board with a wooden framed camper which can actually survive the rigors of offroad travel, but I appreciate the thought behind your justification. One thing I will note is that the use of spray foam directly against any steel surface will result in premature rust propagation. Closed cell expanding foam will retain moisture between the steel/foam interface and can't breathe to allow moisture to evaporate. I absolutly would not use spray foam next to any metallic surface, no matter what the reasoning. If you want to seal out debris, box in the frame sections with thin gauge sheetmetal (or better yet, box it in with larger gauge material to increase the cross section rigidity). Filling steel tubes with expanding foam will significant diminish the service life of your structure. Needless to say, any wood to steel/aluminum interactions will promote deterioration of both the wood and metal if moisture is allowed any entry (either from the outside environment or from condensation).

If I was building a new camper, I would start with a lightweight steel tubing frame and then perform all exterior constructions from foam cored composite panels. It is a more expensive route but will stand the test of time and abuse. Building a camper is a serious commitment of both time and money, regardless of how you go about it. I'd want my efforts to last for decades, and with anything wood, the only way it will last for decades is constant maintenance. The fact that you are considering NOT encapsulating your wooden shell with some sort of composite WILL be regrettable. Rubber paint and plywood is about as ghetto as it gets.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For starters, thanks for the post. I love a naysayer from time to time.:ylsmoke:

One thing I will note is that the use of spray foam directly against any steel surface will result in premature rust propagation. Closed cell expanding foam will retain moisture between the steel/foam interface and can't breathe to allow moisture to evaporate.

Incorrect. Builders have been using closed cell foam sprayed to steel for decades with nothing but great results. It eliminates the moisture condensation all-together, and assuming the bond between foam and steel remains, it allows no moisture intrusion. I welcome you to prove me wrong. I see it EVERY DAY in commercial building construction, OTR trucks, and heavy equipment.

Ill ignore most of the rest of your post due to it having no relevance to this thread (hashed out enough), but I will respond to this:

I'd want my efforts to last for decades, and with anything wood, the only way it will last for decades is constant maintenance.

The current camper we have is more than 35 years old. Wood, plywood, staples, and aluminum.

It is in great shape, and has survived many, MANY adventures in its life. Yet still sound, and leak free. But hey, like you said, wood sucks, so why bother.... :coffee:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Rubber paint and plywood is about as ghetto as it gets.

If I may be so bold with no intention of insult...

I think the camper in your avatar is rather ghetto, but you do not see people bashing you about it do you? Look at some of the European gatherings of overlanders. They have dozens and dozens of ghetto old trucks in the worst condition. People typically say that the most important thing is to get out there and do it.

That in mind who cares if he uses a rubber based paint sealant, or buys some old van with a lifted roof. The point is that he is going to get out there in something he really likes, wants, and is pleased with. Atop that who really cares what I think, or what you think, or anyone else for that matter?

Arguments on the validity of a camper build are almost always eye opening, those with personal slights are never eye opening beyond exposing the petty nature of those making the slight.

Regards,

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Well, properly sandblasted, primed, and pained, spray foam against steel will last long enough to forget you did it in the first place. Knowing for sure you've adequately accomplished this task on any but the most open of applications is the trick and where this type of method falls apart. Guess you won't know until you try. As for the wood camper lasting for 35 years...good for you! I'll still put a hybrid composite/metallic camper up against a sheathed wood structure any day of the week. Good luck with your endeavors.

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
If I may be so bold with no intention of insult...

I think the camper in your avatar is rather ghetto, but you do not see people bashing you about it do you?

Hilarious!!! Bashing to me is criticism with no factual basis.

That isn't what's going on here. What's happening here is philosophical debate on old versus new, modern versus antiquated. The debate here won't have a winner and won't have a loser because the point of views will never converge except to say the end result of either scenario will roll down the road and will provide shelter for an undetermined amount of time. You don't need to spring in here to come to the electronic rescue of Mr. IdaSHO because he isn't in danger of feeling badly, changing his worldly views or whether he votes Republican or Democrat in the next election. Fundamental opinions on the technical application of both materials and methods should in theory be something which a little science can prove a clear winner, but as is evidence by Ford Vs. Chevy, Butter side Up vs. Butter side Down, Diesel vs. Gas, BF Goodrich Vs. Michelin, I.E. nobody will have their opinion swayed here. Thanks for stopping in and flashing your badge.

Sincerely, Mr. Ghetto Down by the River Van Man himself...SG.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94