In search of the "perfect" camper frame

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks guys.

Lots of shinanigans to come soon...

With nearly 300k miles on the ticker, the front end of this truck is screaming for money.
but I refuse to spend any more on the TTB dana 50 front axle.

I ran across a kingpin D60 that I couldnt pass up. Only catch is that it is still attached to the truck:chef:

So this truck is getting a solid axle swap, regear, and more.... :ylsmoke:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
After enjoying some life, Im back at it....

Done with the bed, and basically prepped for paint. 12+ hrs of wire wheel action :snorkel:

Im currently fabricating under body boxes for it.... Once thats done, its time for paint, then new decking :ylsmoke:

47.jpg

48.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
And some more progress...

After all fabrication was done it was taken down to the local self wash car wash and cleaned real well.

49.jpg

New tie-down detail. There are 16 of these on this bed... cannot ever have enough!

50.jpg

51.jpg

Then it was removed for the last time ( at least for now! ) to be prepped for paint.

52.jpg

CAUGHT!! My wife poked her head in the shop right as I started... then I promptly told her to get the hell out! Hardener and thinner in paint is nasty stuff...

53.jpg

And primed. Used one full QT. Finish paint will use considerably more to get good coverage.
It went on really nice.

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

more to come....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Getting closer...

59.jpg

61.jpg

Also installed a very simple and effective set of high lift jack mounts. Nothing more than 9/16 hardened bolts with some washers and spacers.... Acorn lug nuts hold the jack on. :ylsmoke:

62.jpg

63.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Actually the paint still puts off more than the oiled boards. And you have to get your nose REAL close to smell the paint. :ylsmoke:

The decking absorbs the oil in a matter of minutes, and protects it long term better than any off the shelf stain or sealer

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its a common thing in the trucking industry. Most people dont know about it.

But it makes cheap Fir flatbed decks (like this one) last 20+ years, instead of 4-5.

BTW, put the truck to work last night. And came home with 6400lbs of hardwood firewood. :ylsmoke:

Truck weighs 6800lbs. Trailer weighs 800lbs. Rolled across the scales right @ 14k

67.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That is some pretty good wood you have there. It is getting pretty late in the season to be cutting wood, and I am surprised you found such good stuff that looks to be aged as well. Amazing someone else did not find it before you did (or did you cut on private land?)

I spend time in the Bear Lake area every summer cutting wood for my brother in law who then sells it for a little extra money for his family. Kind of fun going out there and chopping down a tree, cutting it up, and then splitting it. Hard work, but fun.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive got my sources :coffeedrink:

We have some acreage north of us that I normally pull firewood from. Enough acreage that simply removing dead-standing trees will provide us with a near endless supply of firewood.

Though this firewood was sourced from a co-worker. He's got a pile of Black Locust trees that came down a year or two ago. All bucked to length, just needing a home. He doesnt have a wood stove, so I tossed him some $$ and I got a couple of easy loads.

Brought the second load home this evening... Nice to have an easy year of firewood. Ive been trying to get ahead of the curve a bit with our firewood reserves, and this did it. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne