In search of the "perfect" camper frame

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As with many, the gears in my head are always turning.

I find myself working out designs in my head often. Eventually I have to put something on paper. While this design may not pan out, I submit it to you for considerations, ideas, and suggestions.

I am realizing time and time again that the only way I will find the camper we actually want, is to build it.

The current camper retrofit is working out great, but it has many problems. Many of which I am not willing to live with, especially as I get older. So Im looking at the time we spend living and traveling with it as research. Every time I find an issue, I take note.

Many of the problems are big enough to make it far from worthwhile from a financial standpoint to fix/repair. The camper simply isnt worth it. For instance, I will not replace $1000 in windows on camper than is worth a fraction of that.

So Im back to the drawing board, starting from scratch.

At this point in planning, Im trying to address a few key points.

*Cold weather and the frame. We do a LOT of it. Research has shown that a wood framed structure is the best bet. And when looking at cold temps, wood is superior to steel or aluminum.

*Cold weather and insulation. I want a MINIMUM of R14.

*Strength. On the truck, off the truck, and when loading/unloading. Using the current camper as an example, I simply do not trust wood to be strong enough or rigid enough to handle off-road travels. A wood frame also introduces some fears when you start mounting jacks.

So far this is what Ive come up with. It is the start of a steel/wood hybrid frame. The steel frame is what Id call a sub-frame. And the wood frame will bolt to it.

frame2.jpg

ltngaines

Adventurer
As with many, the gears in my head are always turning.

I find myself working out designs in my head often. Eventually I have to put something on paper. While this design may not pan out, I submit it to you for considerations, ideas, and suggestions.

I am realizing time and time again that the only way I will find the camper we actually want, is to build it.

The current camper retrofit is working out great, but it has many problems. Many of which I am not willing to live with, especially as I get older. So Im looking at the time we spend living and traveling with it as research. Every time I find an issue, I take note.

Many of the problems are big enough to make it far from worthwhile from a financial standpoint to fix/repair. The camper simply isnt worth it. For instance, I will not replace $1000 in windows on camper than is worth a fraction of that.

So Im back to the drawing board, starting from scratch.

At this point in planning, Im trying to address a few key points.

*Cold weather and the frame. We do a LOT of it. Research has shown that a wood framed structure is the best bet. And when looking at cold temps, wood is superior to steel or aluminum.

*Cold weather and insulation. I want a MINIMUM of R14.

*Strength. On the truck, off the truck, and when loading/unloading. Using the current camper as an example, I simply do not trust wood to be strong enough or rigid enough to handle off-road travels. A wood frame also introduces some fears when you start mounting jacks.

So far this is what Ive come up with. It is the start of a steel/wood hybrid frame. The steel frame is what Id call a sub-frame. And the wood frame will bolt to it.

frame2.jpg

What ever you do good luck. Looks like your off to a good start. Keep us posted for sure.....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Engineered panels. Yes, thought about that.

But it brings in a few other problems I do not want to seal with.

*Primary one being cost.

*Second to that is the learning curve to work with it.

I dont want to start building a camper with a product I am unfamiliar with.

Steel fabrication and traditional construction methods are old hat.

*Finally, making repairs easy. A fiberglass panel might be super light and cool, but once damage is done, it is difficult to repair or replace. A framed structure with a skin (im planning on aluminum skins) makes repairs easy. And an aluminum skin is also going to be a bit more resilient to damage.

DDW

*Finally, making repairs easy. A fiberglass panel might be super light and cool, but once damage is done, it is difficult to repair or replace. A framed structure with a skin (im planning on aluminum skins) makes repairs easy. And an aluminum skin is also going to be a bit more resilient to damage.

Once you are familiar with fiberglass cored construction, you will find it is much easier to repair than a framed and skinned structure. This is done on boats every day. Temporary, and even final repairs can be done without much equipment or facilities. The repaired structure will be as strong as the original, and only marginally heavier. It is labor intensive (and itchy) work, but anyone with knowledge of the techniques can do it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Once you are familiar with fiberglass cored construction, you will find it is much easier to repair than a framed and skinned structure. This is done on boats every day. Temporary, and even final repairs can be done without much equipment or facilities. The repaired structure will be as strong as the original, and only marginally heavier. It is labor intensive (and itchy) work, but anyone with knowledge of the techniques can do it.

Precisely my point. And something I will do without.

A traditional structure can be repaired, even in the field, with very little.

No matter really, this thread is about the framework of my future camper. Not reinventing the wheel with overpriced and labor intensive fiberglass composites.

Next point of concern, does anyone have any input with regards to using such a hybrid frame? I dont know if I should be concerned with the different rates that the steel and wood will expand/contract. And how all of that will work with a third type of material, the aluminum skin.

DzlToy

Explorer
never in a million years would I use a wood frame on anything automotive.

It warps, twists and rots, CANNOT be sealed from the elements permanently (do you want to repaint or stain your frame every few years?), expands and contracts many times the amount that a steel structure would and its heavy as hell compared to aluminum or composites...

Learn the new tech (construction, repairs, etc) and build yourself a nice quality truck. Repairing fiber is not labour intensive or itchy. Lay the woven mat down and mix some resin and hardener, brush it on and you are done. If the side of your camper is ripped off or you have a whole the size of a watermelon you have bigger problems than itchy fiberglass.

Composites are light and strong. They can be glued so there are no screw or bolt penetrations (frame or body). An aluminum frame would never corrode or rust. A cheaper heavier steel frame that was powdercoated, nitrided, galvanized or line-x'd would not either.

Do what you want its your truck, but wood and trucks dont mix, imo, especially for bouncing down the highway or a dirt track. You are asking for headaches and potentially expensive repairs down the road with all the money and time you saved by doing it wrong.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
never in a million years would I use a wood frame on anything automotive.

It warps, twists and rots, CANNOT be sealed from the elements permanently (do you want to repaint or stain your frame every few years?), expands and contracts many times the amount that a steel structure would and its heavy as hell compared to aluminum or composites...

Learn the new tech (construction, repairs, etc) and build yourself a nice quality truck. Repairing fiber is not labour intensive or itchy. Lay the woven mat down and mix some resin and hardener, brush it on and you are done. If the side of your camper is ripped off or you have a whole the size of a watermelon you have bigger problems than itchy fiberglass.

Composites are light and strong. They can be glued so there are no screw or bolt penetrations (frame or body). An aluminum frame would never corrode or rust. A cheaper heavier steel frame that was powdercoated, nitrided, galvanized or line-x'd would not either.

Do what you want its your truck, but wood and trucks dont mix, imo, especially for bouncing down the highway or a dirt track. You are asking for headaches and potentially expensive repairs down the road with all the money and time you saved by doing it wrong.

Camper builders have been using it for years, and it works. YOU don't like it, but plenty others do because it's effective, it's easy to work with, and it's inexpensive. To each their own.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There is so much mis-information in DzlToy's post I dont even know where to start :Wow1:

I wonder if he knows that many rv MFGs are still using wood...

Why? because it is

*cheap
*light
*strong
*readily available
*easy to work with

One more key point between the wood vs aluminum since he brought it up, an aluminum joint will fatigue and break well before a similar wood joint will.

Rigidity, or a small lack there of, certainly has its place in off-road campers. One built TOO rigid, especially if built out of a material like aluminum, will fatigue and fail in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles