In search of the "perfect" camper frame

LukeH

Adventurer
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
Your reactions to certain posts indicate that despite the title of the thread, what you’re actually asking is “is there someone out there who will validate my structure choice?”
It certainly won’t be me; your construction choice is based on false assumptions on maintenance and repairability; you have personal reasons too, but I won’t go into the questions on attitude. The method you describe is perfect for restoring an antique gypsy caravan, or a wartime railway carriage, but not for a camper that you’re going to really use.

I apologise if this offends you, try to make it to the end.
Victorian is right. DZLToy is right, even if he’s brought in his personal feelings which have obviously upset you.

many rv MFGs are still using wood...

Why? because it is

*cheap
*light
*strong
*readily available
*easy to work with
Actually the price is the only reason, although the “it’s always been done like that, who the hell are you to change it” attitude has played a role.
And the RVs in question rarely see the kind of vibration that an Expo camper sees.

One more key point between the wood vs aluminum since he brought it up, an aluminum joint will fatigue and break well before a similar wood joint will.
QUOTE]
That’ll be why even Morgan have stopped using it, and also why the latest Boeing 777 has abandoned aluminium in favour of WW2 style canvas wood and wire construction.
Bad engineering is responsible for so many of these blanket statements that hinder progress. I didn’t know the latest mountainbikes were made of wood either. Come on.

But before I get onto glass fibre which, although it’s been around for over sixty years now, is obviously far too “new technology”, let’s have a look at your concept, its construction and its repairability (or not):

You have a base frame in steel, your foundations if you like. You have lots of short lengths to cut and weld together. As good and talented a welder as you may be, the engineer’s approach is to consider a structural weld as the start of a crack. At each weld you weaken the crystalline structure of the metal by heating it to near melting point and cooling it too rapidly. I doubt you have a heat treating oven nearby so they will remain weak points.
That’s not too much of a problem depending on the rest.
I don’t suppose you’ve found how to weld steel to wood, so you’ll either be bolting/screwing or bonding. If you’re bolting you waste 90% of the wood’s load capacity by concentrating the load on a small threaded bar; which you will then render inaccessible by skinning and adding furniture.
Let’s hope you’re bonding, in which case you’ve gone to the trouble of making up a nice socket into which the strut goes, and you’ll fill it with Sikaflex 252 or equivalent (the same stuff you’d use to stick panels together if you were to opt for a sensible construction).
So now your frame is Sika’d together, let’s think about covering it. Now we have a problem because the size you cut your aluminium skin is going to depend on the season, temperature and hygrometry of where you’re doing your build.
Yes indeed that’s why ALL those old wood framed campers and slide ins have folds along the length (I’ve owned two), it’s because wood changes, moves, expands with humidity.
And the nature of the grain and the way wood grows means there’s NO WAY you’ll be able to master every movement in your frame.
Unless you opt for a nice thick chequer plate style skin which will hold everything in place.
Let’s think of that option; you Sika up every frame member and stick the skin onto it. I’m sure you wouldn’t be foolish enough to want to screw the panels on without any bonding, all those holes to waterproof, all that movement of the wood underneath, with a screw in it trying to split it…
You’ve put the roof on and sealed along the edges; only the frame is constantly trying to move the roof up or down depending on where you’re on holiday; impossible to keep that edge watertight. So you need edging strips, which you’re going to bond on, with NO screw holes to leak and split the upper spars. The Sika will enable the frame to move the roof a tiny bit without breaking the seal, you hope.
With the frame held rigidly by thick flat plates the expansion and contraction of the wood has to go somewhere so don’t be too surprised if the sides bow ever so slightly in and out according to where you’re camping etc.
Your steel foundation is totally incompatible with the thick aluminium plate, the two metals have different coefficients of thermal expansion, so how you join them is again critical. ALL mechanical methods involve a hole just down where you don’t want one; All mechanical methods create an electrical connection between the two metals (I’ll get to that problem in a moment) and will work loose with the expansion and contraction of the different metals.
By a long measure the best means of attaching steel to aluminium in this circumstance is with a nice thick layer of Sikaflex, ensuring electrical isolation, free thermal expansion and a good seal. The absolute reference of a build blog for this method is Rob Gray’s WOTHEHLLIZATs 1 & 2; I very strongly recommend you read them.
About the whole electrical problem; you wand to go to cold places, unless you have spray foam insulation and miraculous sealing powers humid air inside WILL get to the skin, and into the steel tube where it can condense on the rivets, bolts or screws. The various metals form a battery with the help of water and your foundation will rot from the inside.
But that’s ok because you weren’t going to screw the skin on anyway. However the condensation will run down the inside of the skin and sit on the steel frame that forms your foundation. The puddles of water will still make the electrical connection between steel and alu, and the movement of the insulating panels will eventually wear through the paint on your steel bits, much slower if you Sika’d them in place but still…
After a few years use you’ll have little white pock marks around the bottom, just at the level of the top of the steel tube; corrosion from the inside. There are of course some pretty fancy zinc epoxy paints you can use to try and ensure that it doesn’t happen in your life time but it will happen eventually.

Great, it’s built and you’ve glued the insulation plates in where you can (where there’s not wood getting in the way); now you can skin the inside and put in your furniture. It weighs a hell of a lot because you’ve gone for the thick skin option, after all you wanted it to stand up to the beating of trail driving. The wood is a little more tolerant of you trying to split it by sticking screws in because it’s being held together by the Sika against the skin.

But what happens if you ding it?
You hit something and damage one of the wooden struts. You could strip out the furniture, rip out the interior skin and try to bang out the dent from the inside I suppose, but dismantling furniture isn’t really a field repair situation. And to get to that strut, so well glued you’ve got to do some serious damage to the finish.
So let’s try from the outside; but the Sika doesn’t peel. Somewhere in his blog Rob Gray points out that if you position a panel wrong with Sika, you’ve lost the panel because you will DESTROY it getting it off. SIKA is permanent if you’ve prepared the surfaces correctly. So to get at that strut in the roof or on the side you have to bend and ruin the skin in such a way that you really wouldn’t get it back in place to continue your holiday without leaks.
Heaven forbid your foundation frame cracks or bends, imagine having to peel the skin away (bent and wrinkled now) to weld the steel, only you’ve got the foam insulation and the inner skin to move out of the way; with foodstuffs and furniture sitting just inside the skin. And of course you paid particular attention NOT to run the power, gas and water lines around the bottom edge of your camper, because then you’d have to move those too!

In conclusion the idea that this obsolete construction method is field repairable is a total myth. If you bang it, the only way to get home without leaks is either tons of rigger’s tape or to drape a glass fibre mat over the hole and paint it with resin.
Which turns out to be how you would field repair a fibre glass construction anyway.

Now onto the panel version:
Your shape requires ten panels, that’s it.
Engineered panels. Yes, thought about that.

But it brings in a few other problems I do not want to seal with.

*Primary one being cost.

OK the raw material might just cost more than a couple of bits of wood from your local DIY store, but if you add up ALL the bits and bobs you’ll need, tooling etc. I’ll wager that the cost comes out very close. Remember thick aluminium sheeting doesn’t come cheap either.
You don’t have to use custom made panels either; my box is going to be made out of panels that I’ve recovered from a damaged frozen goods semi-trailer that I found in a breaker’s yard, for very little money. Here it is:
IMAG0195-1-1.jpg

I’m sure America has frozen goods delivery vans, that may have crashed, from which you could cut the box and trim it to size. Or
In fact the only advantage your construction has is that you can spread the cost gradually over the whole of your build period. Which raises the other point:
What are you worth?
The hundreds of hours your assembly costs you would be much better spend sorting out the inside, or actually travelling.

Engineered panels. Yes, thought about that.

*Second to that is the learning curve to work with it.
But you already know how to work with it!!!
If you’re confident enough to embark on a wood build, you obviously know which end to hold an electric saw, and you can handle a sealant gun. All you need is to know how to clean the join area and you have all the skills. You might, however, need a friend or two to help manhandle the panels into the jig you’ve just built.
If you don’t have any friends I’m sorry; but you may still need someone to help handle the alu skin panels.
Here’s a build that should help give you an idea.

And I can assure you that even if the bonding process squeezes out a lot of wasted Sika, you’ll still use less than with a wood and skin old skool build

I dont want to start building a camper with a product I am unfamiliar with.

Once upon a time you were unfamiliar with a welding torch too, and a mouse and all the fangled gadgets they have in modern cars, you’re never too old to learn new stuff.

Steel fabrication and traditional construction methods are old hat.
And heavy, and slow, and uneconomical (does that sound like a superpower I know? ;-) )

So let’s ding it.
A great big branch has scraped down the side leaving an ugly gash.
With a can of builders foam you can fill the gaps where the foam’s been torn out. Once it’s dry you can cut it flush with the side. Sand the side and the foam so that it’s slightly recessed. Drape glass mat over the gash and imbibe it with resin. When it’s set you can go on.
Field repair done, and waterproof, with fewer tools too.
When you’re home you can sand it down and paint it up.

Yet again, my apologies if you take this as a personal affront, it is not meant as such.
I’m a consultant mechanical engineer, my masters thesis was on steel-composite race car chassis design, I’m passionate about expedition campers; Usually I’m pretty quiet about these design questions even if it grates to see post war construction methods maintained when the “new” methods are already very very tried and tested. Don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking all the builds that I see here on the forum, they’ve been done with passion, time and fantastic energy.
But that energy and time could have been much better spent elsewhere.
It’s just that your thread has inspired me to finally open the floodgates.

I guess I’d better duck now ;-)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
^^^Awesome post. Brings up a lot to think about as far as materials. I learned a lot, so thanks.:victory:^^^

Jack

TBRV

Having worked in the RV industry for a long time I have seen excellent use of aluminum or wood. Depends on the goal.

Aluminum framing is the way the RV industry is headed as it is easier to control. The material is light & strong. The issue though is that the interior panels are still wood and the exterior is in most cases is bonded to wood that is bonded the aluminum frame. Many manufacturers are going to composite backing for the exterior siding as this material doesn't telegraph the seams under the siding like laun (wood) backing. The aluminum frame wall used in RV's is prone to water damage just like older wood frame units are as the interior and exterior panels are wood.

In our market in Northern Canada the biggest issue with aluminum framing is thermal bridgeing once the temperture dips below freezing condensation and then frost develops around the aluminum framing.

I have sold x-ray shacks and office trailers into the oil patch here and the most effective framing for extreme weather is wood. The catch with wood is to use good wood. I have seen some fantastic use of laminated beams in overhead campers and slide-out openings that have amazing strength. The cost of good fir framing and micro lam beams have driven a lot of RV manufacturers to aluminum.

Campers are always a compromise. Is it a house or an automobile. There are good aruguments for metal or wood framing. The key to a successful build is to use the best sealants and adhesives available as neither framing will take water leaks very well.

dzzz

The problem I faced when looking at doing a build with composite panels is confidence in buying the right panels. I was never confident enough to write the check. I expect for many DIY projects a light aluminum frame covered with structural panels is easiest. Those who know what they're doing can eliminate the aluminum.
Obviously wood has been successfully used for years in automotive applications. Modern composites, glue and roofing materials make it even better.
Use of structural aluminum in automotive applications without proper force calculations is a bit risky. Steel and wood are a lot more forgiving.
It seems to me that mainstream RV manufacturing practices don't offer much for the homebuilder. Custom boat building is a more useful analogy in my experience.
But I do understand the distaste for working with resins.
Wood on a stiff steel frame is oldschool but proven. There are millions of vehicles on the road with this construction.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
Your reactions to certain posts indicate that despite the title of the thread, what you’re actually asking is “is there someone out there who will validate my structure choice?”

Did you even read the first post?

Thats exactly why I posted. Why else would I have?

And did you notice, just by chance, that I put "perfect" in parentheses?

Maybe you should rethink MANY of your responses. Especially the ones regarding attitude. It is pretty clear to me that you want to rule this thread, instead of provide pertinent info or assistance.

I know what construction methods Im comfortable with. I know what I have available to me, both tools and materials. These are primary functions in dictating what "perfect" means.

In short, your "perfect" isnt the end-all to everyones "perfect".

If everyone had perfect campers (according to you) this forum would have a FRACTION of the members it does. I for one like to travel and explore to improve my quality of life. I dont need an aerospace engineered camper to do it.

I wont even bother responding to the rest of your post.

I appreciate the little info you slipped in there. But I had hoped to find a few knowledgeable people in here, ones that dont tote such a large chip on their shoulder, to help a bit.

I guess I was expecting too much.

Im not familiar with composites, Ive said that more than a few times. But there is no reason at all to bring such a response to a thread.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
In our market in Northern Canada the biggest issue with aluminum framing is thermal bridgeing once the temperture dips below freezing condensation and then frost develops around the aluminum framing.

I have sold x-ray shacks and office trailers into the oil patch here and the most effective framing for extreme weather is wood. The catch with wood is to use good wood. I have seen some fantastic use of laminated beams in overhead campers and slide-out openings that have amazing strength. The cost of good fir framing and micro lam beams have driven a lot of RV manufacturers to aluminum.

Bingo.

Ive worked in retail and wholesale residential and commercial building supply industry for more than 15 years.

I can get the good stuff. And I get it at wholesale prices.

oka boy

Observer
I don't know about US manufactured campers but no respected manufacturer in Australia is using wood for framing,companies the likes of AMEZ been using steel framed units with Ali clading with excellent results,these vehicles do a very high percentage of off road/gravel road work and they are very tough.
personally I will not use wood outside my house.
Cheers,Joe

pods8

Explorer
I don't know about US manufactured campers but no respected manufacturer in Australia is using wood for framing,companies the likes of AMEZ been using steel framed units with Ali clading with excellent results,these vehicles do a very high percentage of off road/gravel road work and they are very tough.
personally I will not use wood outside my house.
Cheers,Joe

I'd be leary about wood as a stand alone framing but if it was used in a core construction method with structural skins I wouldn't shy away from it.

TBRV

Steel framed floor, aluminum framed side walls, aluminum truss roof joists. I can see why the RV industry has gone that way on higher end equipment. It seems to be the accepted method.

The negative views on wood probably detract from the finished unit and that seems to be the majority of opinion. Looking forward to seeing the build.

DDW

While it is still possible to build a house of dried mud and wattle, generally speaking more suitable materials are used when they are readily available.

Similarly, while you can build an RV from wood sticks and staples, more suitable materials are readily available in North America. Ignorance of the techniques required for their use is not a reliable excuse, since such knowledge is easily acquired.

While wood is not a bad material for some uses, it is not durable, and small sections are difficult to join in high stress applications making it a poor choice for motor vehicle coachwork. In contrast aluminum, steel, and modern composites are durable and high stress joints are far easier to fabricate (and repair).

You asked for our "considerations, ideas, and suggestions", those are mine.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
never in a million years would I use a wood frame on anything automotive.

It warps, twists and rots, CANNOT be sealed from the elements permanently (do you want to repaint or stain your frame every few years?), expands and contracts many times the amount that a steel structure would and its heavy as hell compared to aluminum or composites...

Thats why wood is used in so many modern day composites? - Corvettes use balsa wood in construction.

Man this thread is full of so many opinions its horrible -Opinions are like *******s everyone has one.

Fiberglass is was to work with if you know how

So is steel and aluminum if you know how

So is wood if you know how

Composite materials, often shortened to composites, are engineered or naturally occurring materials made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties which remain separate and distinct at the macroscopic or microscopic scale within the finished structure.

Do you realize wood itself can be considered a composite?

arg.. reading this thread irritates me.

When looking into something you need to understand significant vibrations, and dynamic forces, alsong with pure structural strength. Another issue of mixing steel and aluminum is corrosion. You don't bolt steel to aluminum without an insulator. The other factor is UV/ozone, and thermal expansion and contraction..

Personally I would like to see a rotomolded TPO camper shell with twin sheet walls filled with urethane foam. Ultrasonic Inserted Brass Fittings for mounting of all components etc.

Now thats not able to be built in most garages or by some job shop but this the the "perfect" camper frame thread

DDW

Wood can be used as a core material ("filler") in composites, but it isn't often used anymore in anything where weight or strength are critical factors. A Corvette body, built with balsa and chopper guns, hardly represents the state of the art in composite construction. This is a holdover from the 1950s.

A rotomolded TPO or XPE shell would be damage resistant, but quite heavy and floppy compared to other construction methods - probably including sticks and staples. Ordinary PO and PE has much lower specific stiffness and specific strength than many other commonly used materials - including wood. Damage would also be extremely difficult to repair without some very specialized equipment.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Similarly, while you can build an RV from wood sticks and staples,

The frame I am considering will utilize laminated lumber, with mortised and dado'd, glued joints. Fasteners will be used, but sparingly. Titebond III glue will be used on every joint.

You asked for our "considerations, ideas, and suggestions", those are mine.

I appreciate it :ylsmoke:

southpier

Expedition Leader
... I had hoped to find a few knowledgeable people in here.....

it's not fair to lump everyone into the few who have chosen to respond in a manner which you perceive as threatening your ideas.

there's a hell of a lot of knowledge on this forum, one just needs to remove the personalities from the responses and get to the nitty gritty.

from my personal experience with both vocational & avocational projects, i would not do it your way simple because i don't know metalworking. it would be all wood and materials i could work in a similar manner & tools to wood. i can't see adding a cloth/ resin patch as easier than a wood/ paint patch, but i hardly think it be reason to negate the design of the camper. i like it.

i read all kinds of stuff and store ideas which can be applied to different things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier