Phh etc...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have wasted a few more hours searching here and mud, with no results. Could someone please enlighten me as to exactly where the phh is? I now know it is only about 2"s long, and that silicone is thought to be the best replacement. Where is it and what is it 'really' called in Toyotanese?

Thanks guys!

mattafact

Adventurer
If you have a good Toyota shop in your area that will change it for a decent price, pay them to do it. It only took my friend and I 4 or so hours of misery to change mine.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Silicone may be the best replacement - however, I highly suggest a slight modification, if you ever have the misfortune of having to replace yours. Remove the metal tube to which the PHH connects, and run a ~3 foot hose up and around to the other end. This way, if it ever breaks again, it's a 5 minute fix rather than several uncomfortable hours.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Silicone may be the best replacement - however, I highly suggest a slight modification, if you ever have the misfortune of having to replace yours. Remove the metal tube to which the PHH connects, and run a ~3 foot hose up and around to the other end. This way, if it ever breaks again, it's a 5 minute fix rather than several uncomfortable hours.

What did you do about rubbing/melting issues? Sleeve it inside another piece of larger hose? Thanks for the idea though.

Klierslc

Explorer
Meh,

My original has lasted 14 years. I will probably replace it this summer with an OEM hose. Done for another 14 years....

kerry

Expedition Leader
My 80 has the metal tube removed and the replaced hose just loops outward and over to the top fitting. Was like that when I bought it and it seems to work just fine. I don't see any good reason to re-use the OE system when it's such a PIA.

rain76king

Adventurer
Previous owner did mine, or had someone do it and mounted it outside the frame directly above the exhaust, It's a repair on the list!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Isn't the phh on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust?

Yes it is its under the intake manifold.

I have the Silicone replacement waiting to go onto mine. Toyota replaced it once already but I want one on there I can trust, think mine is leaking a bit already.

Skrewball

Observer
I have done alot of the PHH replacements and although silicone sounds nice, it does like to leak unless you use the constant tension clamps(which are bulky)

Alot like Klierslc said if the original lasted 150-200K then an oem replacement should last just as long.

when you remove the metal pipe it is very easy to put it back in, just dont reinstall the bottom bolt. there is still a bolt on the top to hold it in place.

i'm sure the all rubber hose fix works, but it was done one way from the factory for a reason.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just my experience and opinion. it is easy to drift away from the simplest of thinking when you read all the posts on different ways to do something whether they be right or wrong.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Update this a bit, it took me all of 10min to get the PHH out. Problem is that's one of many things I am taking out as I work towards changing the head gasket. If I wanted to reuse the PHH it is in as new shape, no bulging inside or damage from removal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles