Welding front differential.

Lajning

Observer
Gidday!

I've been reading here for quite a while now and I have so far learned very much, thank you expo members.

I do not currently own a 4x4 truck/suv but are planning to purchase one in a not so far future.

On to my actual question:

Can you weld your front diff, instead of getting a locker?
I see it this way: most 4x4 with a transfer case is RWD in their 2WD mode. If you weld the rear diff, you will wear out the tires quicker, and get a very jumpy ride on slow and tight corners. When engaging 4WD, does it really matter if you have an open or locked/welded diff?

Cheers,
Lajning

Scott Brady

Founder
Can you weld your front diff, instead of getting a locker?

You can, but it disables the differential function of the axle. It would result in extreme understeer and inability to use 4wd on slick surfaces or at high speeds.

My recommendation would be to enjoy the vehicle as-is until you can modify it correctly.

Patman

Explorer
Hej Lajning,

As Scott said, you can, and people do. Mostly for Mud or Rock rigs.

Learning (and practicing) proper tire placement and driving technique will take you much further than you think. Lockers are far from needed in 90% of offroad situations, may make it easier, but not needed.

A true locked front end, welded, detroit, ARB (turned on), etc. will effectively negate steering input under power when the road/trail is slick.

If you're going to weld anything, do the rear and leave the front alone, but even then its a trail only mod. Not good for the road.

I have personally taken completely open diff rigs through some of the toughest trails on the west coast, and never wished I had a locked front end except in the most insane places.

rubberduck

Observer
I rarely turn my front locker on. It makes turning very difficult, especially on tight trails. My old jeep was welded and I would lock the passenger side hub until I needed to lock both. Still a pain, but doable. I personally wouldn't do it again.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Ahhh... the notorious Lincoln locker.

Pro tip, be sure not to weld the ring gear to the pinion! ;)

alexrex20

Explorer
A locked front diff will drive like ****, even in 2WD, unless you have manual hubs and unlock them. Even a lunchbox locker is leaps and bounds better, because at least they unlock when you let off the gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles