Canada-Alaska 2010

66 North

Hi all!

I was lucky enough to be able to travel for a few months in 2010. I drove from Michigan to Western Canada and Alaska in a slightly modified 2003 Taco. I was on the road for almost four months and covered 21,000+ miles. With the exception of a few places, I rarely stayed in the same spot for more than a couple of days. I documented most of the trip on the website below. It's short on words and long on pictures.

http://web.mac.com/elevation26000ft/Adventure_Alaska/Welcome.html

Thanks for looking and safe travels!

flamewerks

Wow, some REALLY nice pictures, and a lot of the places that I want to go see. I was going to go on a 2 week trip to the Yukon this summer, but I think I should wait till next spring and make it a month or 2 month trip and explore Alaska, too. Too many beautiful areas. Very nice site setup, too. Clean and easy.

Eeyore

Awesome pictures.
In the late 70's I lived in Rowan Bay on Kuiu Island, and Wrangell was the nearest town by plane. I was very little when my parents left, I don't remember much, so those pictures are nice to see. Thanks for sharing!

dzzz

It looks like you went as far north in Yukon as you could. Was that worth it? What would you do differently? What were your favorite places? I'm planning an Alaskan trip. The side trips that could be added are what I'm not sure about.
Thanks

66 North

Thanks everyone! Every time I get in the truck I have to resist the urge to point it north and do it again...for now anyway.

It looks like you went as far north in Yukon as you could. Was that worth it? What would you do differently? What were your favorite places?

It was worth it for me to get up to some of the more remote areas in the north. I spent so much time staring at maps that I needed to see it. In reality, it was probably more "cartographic high-pointing." There was an art festival in Inuvik followed by a music festival in Dawson City making them good destinations. However, I should update the map as I did not make it to Deadhorse. Between the rain, low visibility and the limited access my desire to get there diminished. I turned around a bit after the Dalton leveled out.

If I were to do the trip again I would slow down and spend more time exploring wherever I was. I saw a lot, but aside from a few places I didn’t spend a lot of time in any one area. I spent a lot of time figuring out where I would be the next day.

In reality, some of my favorite places were wherever I stopped along the way for an afternoon pint at a local pub. I gravitate to mountains and glaciers and enjoyed the Valdez area, Wrangell-St Elias/Kennicott and Kenai Peninsula. It was fun driving the Canol, Mackenzie and Liard highways. I made many of the provincial and territorial parks destinations for sights and camping through Canada. Many are just as beautiful as the national parks and are along the way. It is hard to pinpoint favorite places as I really enjoyed just being on the road and outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94