Alternative Fuels & Better Fuel Mileage

lam396

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to your post. I have been looking at the biodiesel info forum and reading on the SunWizard "holy grail" setup. Seems to be a good system but I havent got through all 157 pages yet!!!

One main concern or question I have about the SVO is on the longevity of the motor itself. Since I'm looking for a 7.3 it will be a small miracle if I can get one with less than 150k miles. Will SVO still allow a PSD to go 300k+ miles? I'm reading that with a proper setup like the veggy stroke system you run and a good filter that it's possible to retain great life in the motor. I would really like this truck to last me a good 10 years or so...at least without replacing the entire motor.

Darwin

Explorer
I think there is no difference regarding engine. My brothers cummins didn't like it while both our psd engines do. That said I think he had fuel delivery issues in his cummins so unfair comparison.
It's hard to say, there are too many variables from conversion to conversion and different generation motors. There really is no similarity in how I would convert PSD versus a 12 valve cummins. The PSD would be a check valve system (vegistroke). A lot of failures with FASS lift pumps running wvo and trying to maintain 60 psi. The 12 valve is only 30 psi and is provided by a robust piston driven mechanical fuel pump. They are also only 100 dollars to replace vs. 400 dollar FASS.

Darwin

Explorer
I have been looking at the biodiesel info forum and reading on the SunWizard "holy grail" setup. Seems to be a good system but I havent got through all 157 pages yet!!!
If you go to burnveg.com/forum and look at the converted vehicle data base it's only one page for details on how he converted his truck. You will notice he used a 12 valve cummins. You said you are looking at a PSD so that won't work.

One main concern or question I have about the SVO is on the longevity of the motor itself. Since I'm looking for a 7.3 it will be a small miracle if I can get one with less than 150k miles. Will SVO still allow a PSD to go 300k+ miles?
Hard to say, if you get that out of your PSD on diesel I would say that's good. On WVO it's hard to say, lots of variables. Oil quality, maintenance, will all make a difference in if your truck makes it that far or not.

I'm reading that with a proper setup like the veggy stroke system you run and a good filter that it's possible to retain great life in the motor.
A veggistroke system and a filter is not going to guarantee that your trucks lasts. A "good" filter won't really make a difference on the longevity of your motor since a filter can't stop water that is mixed in with the wvo. If you poorly processes your oil before you put it in your tank the filter will simply plug and leave you stranded but I don't think it will dictate how long your trucks lasts, just how many times you are stuck on the side of the road changing it.

There are plenty of PSD conversions out there with over 100k on them. That being said you looking at a pretty big investment.

Darwin

Explorer
$3000 is about right for the Vegistroke in it's current form with a tank-I think I might have paid a little less but that was almost three years ago. As far as a filtration setup centrifuges run the gamut, but I think the $1500 number is right either way. I have a Dieselcraft which is a small unit that runs on oil pressure (you pump oil under pressure into it which propels the rotor) that goes for about $400, but then you need a proper pump (precise flowrate and pressure are very important-I use a hydraulic pump), a motor to drive that pump, a device to heat the oil to 140-160 degrees to thin it out enough/drive the water out, etc... A lot of the cost of this will depend on your level of resourcefulness and ability to fabricate things yourself. As for the other type of centrifuge (the "bowl" type) they simply pump hot oil into a bowl that is spun by a motor-they cost about $1500 for a cheap model and then you still have to find a way to move the oil, heat it, etc...I'm not saying one or the other is better, it's just whatever you end up going with. I am working on posting a thread on my own "filtration station" with pictures and part numbers. I have probably spent close to $1500 on it over the three years or so I've been doing this, but again, depending on your level of resourcefulness you can lessen that cost. As for Dodges being more reliable, that maybe true overall, but I haven't seen a conversion for the Cummins that is as well made and thought out as the Vegistroke. Powerstrokes have their quirks, but (7.3Ls especially) as long as they're well taken care of will last a long time. However, a poor conversion kit can kill even the most robust diesel engine in relatively short period of time.
Awesome. You are right, a centrifuge is the way if not the ONLY way to go IMHO. I have a dieselcraft that I have used for about 3 years. Funny you should mention filtering, today UPS arrives with a WVO designs raw power centrifuge. I am hoping this set up will help me for when I am traveling and filtering on the road. Would love to see some pics of your set up.

SupaRice

I saw on Extreme 4x4 once where they did a SVO on their Suzuki project. They used a kit from Greasecar I think, it basically had a small tank of petrol diesel to start the system and then when things got warmed up it switched over to SVO, and switched back before shutting down so that the lines wouldn't have SVO in them while it was sitting.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/index.php/xtreme4x4-episodes?ep_num=XT2007-20&ep_sea0702

But enough about this diesel talk! You guys can convert easily!

What about gas engines? I'm no mechanic or engineer, but is this for real? I saw the guy that now owns the car on Horsepower TV with it once. They dyno'd the car.

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.c...s-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

lam396

Adventurer
If you go to burnveg.com/forum and look at the converted vehicle data base it's only one page for details on how he converted his truck. You will notice he used a 12 valve cummins. You said you are looking at a PSD so that won't work.

Hard to say, if you get that out of your PSD on diesel I would say that's good. On WVO it's hard to say, lots of variables. Oil quality, maintenance, will all make a difference in if your truck makes it that far or not.

A veggistroke system and a filter is not going to guarantee that your trucks lasts. A "good" filter won't really make a difference on the longevity of your motor since a filter can't stop water that is mixed in with the wvo. If you poorly processes your oil before you put it in your tank the filter will simply plug and leave you stranded but I don't think it will dictate how long your trucks lasts, just how many times you are stuck on the side of the road changing it.

There are plenty of PSD conversions out there with over 100k on them. That being said you looking at a pretty big investment.

I was talking about his filtration system he put together. I wasnt aware that he was running a cummins but the filtration system should be the same type, right?

With the vegistroke system, if I understand properly, even if the VO system fails, the stock diesel lines, pump and filter are still 100% functioning so assuming I have diesel onboard I dont see why I would be stranded on the side of the road. The little I know about the 7.3 and diesels in general, I dont think 300k is out of the question with reg diesel if properly maintained. I hae an uncle that just rolled over 210k and he has had no issues to date. Guess I'm just looking for some real life experiences with long term use of VO. I googled and found some guys that had high miles on the truck but less than 100k with VO

Darwin

Explorer
I was talking about his filtration system he put together. I wasnt aware that he was running a cummins but the filtration system should be the same type, right?
Correct, how you filter and DEWATER the oil before it goes into your wvo tank makes no difference what type of vehicle you have.

If you are interested I have pretty much the exact same dieselcraft oil processing set up as sun wizard for sale for $400.

With the vegistroke system, if I understand properly, even if the VO system fails, the stock diesel lines, pump and filter are still 100% functioning so assuming I have diesel onboard I dont see why I would be stranded on the side of the road. The little I know about the 7.3 and diesels in general, I dont think 300k is out of the question with reg diesel if properly maintained. I hae an uncle that just rolled over 210k and he has had no issues to date. Guess I'm just looking for some real life experiences with long term use of VO. I googled and found some guys that had high miles on the truck but less than 100k with VO
Yep that is pretty much how the check valve type conversion works. If you make sure to only put clean dry oil in your tank and do regular maintenance the truck should last provided you don't buy a lemon.

Good luck,
Little Darwin

addicted56

Adventurer
It's hard to say, there are too many variables from conversion to conversion and different generation motors. There really is no similarity in how I would convert PSD versus a 12 valve cummins. The PSD would be a check valve system (vegistroke). A lot of failures with FASS lift pumps running wvo and trying to maintain 60 psi. The 12 valve is only 30 psi and is provided by a robust piston driven mechanical fuel pump. They are also only 100 dollars to replace vs. 400 dollar FASS.

Might be some confusion here. My 7.3L Powerstroke has a mechanical lift pump as well. FASS is an aftermarkett company that provides very high volume air seperator/filter/pumps for high Horse Power configurations. They are not specific to just any one brand either.

I just ran a small 7 PSI electric pump to help purge the system and put less strain on my mechanical lift pump pulling all that fuel from the rear. Stock pump went 230K miles 40K of which were on Vegetble oil before starting to leak into the engine valley. 80 bucks and 1 hour later it was replaced. Sadly that cheapo assist pump I put on below only lasted about 8 weeks before crapping out. I should have used a Holley red or something along those lines.

As to other responses I dont' think longevity of the motor is the issue. I don't think it will affect it in the long run and fully expect to get 400K out of my engine or more. My system on my truck is by far from the very best, and my filtration system was good before I put it in, but not the best as well. I think if you had a bullet proof system on the truck and a very good filtration system at home I would feel more comforatable going out for a few days on an expedition. I to can switch back to diesel and go back to basically the stock system and it has saved me. Once when I ran out of fuel in the WVO tank (I only have a guage in the rear). And more than few times when I had WVO behave strangely and clogg up my main filter on my truck. I carried a spare ran on diesel and I was good to go. So yeah I guess now that I think about it I change my mind. Even in cold weather and with the right system it can be used in an expedition setting no problems.

Last edited:

lam396

Adventurer
Another question about the SVO. About how long does it take to shift over to the VO after start up? Is your tank preheated or does it not get heated untill its fired up?

Mainly wondering for the knowledge but also how effective it is on shorter trips?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke