M101A2 Pop-Up Concept

nat

Adventurer
I posted this on Mud too.

I designed this for my M101A2 trailer. Closed, it adds 7" to the height of the trailer (26" of usable space) and open, it is 73" tall, enough so I can stand I want to sleep in it and also be able to cook in it during bad weather.

You first lift it with the scissor mechanism then bolt in the struts to add rigidity. It will either have a metal skin or a cover that I will make. Either way, after securing the structure, The canvas panels can be put on.

I haven't decided how to actuate the scissor mechanism
-electric actuator
-double acting air cylinder
-gas shock assist

What do you think?

I have a 1972 FJ55 with a 7x series full floater, SBC 350, NV4500.

Attachments

• concept1.jpg
    concept1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 49
  • concept2.jpg
    concept2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
  • concept3.jpg
    concept3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Newtac11

Observer
I like your Idea, and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I would use a thin aluminum top since it will be in the weather the most though.

Donsfast

Observer
Im working out the same idea for a utility/trail/camping trailer. I dont want to go so tall as I only want to sleep in it and keep out of the weather yet be able to go back to a utility trailer when needed. I will post up some pics as it comes along...we can steal ideas from each other.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The scissor lift mechanism isn't used much in the pop-up industry anymore, there is probably a reason for that. Not trying to pee in the punch or anything but you might want to look at the telescoping winch mechanisms that are most commonly used. I think they might actually be a bit easier to engineer and at the end of the day be more robust.

Last edited:

nat

Adventurer
Everything is still in the concept phase, I like the idea of a taller cover for the trailer. I could store the wifes motorcycles inside and use the tounge for a bigger bike if needed. Unfortunately I would need an interior height of almost 42 inches. That adds more wind resistance. Fuel economy isn't great already, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyone have opinions on fuel economy vs trailer height?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi, will this have hard sides or soft? Does it need to go straight up or could it fold over? Lots of options and I'm thinking of something similar.

nat

Adventurer
This is a hard sided pop shell concept. The interior has 41+" of room and slides up to create 61+" of space. With built in racks, I can attach a roof top tent. Should be enough room to have a couple dirt bikes inside.

Attachments

• concept2_1.jpg
    concept2_1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
  • concept2_2.jpg
    concept2_2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great concept Nat, maybe the windows should on the top?

It would be perfect for a RTT that sports a bigger changing room, but speaking from experience, setting up the tent becomes a bit more difficult higher up.

I use an aluminum fold up sawhorse to reach everything now, just takes a few extra minutes.

nat

Adventurer
Great concept Nat, maybe the windows should on the top?

It would be perfect for a RTT that sports a bigger changing room, but speaking from experience, setting up the tent becomes a bit more difficult higher up.

I use an aluminum fold up sawhorse to reach everything now, just takes a few extra minutes.

Thanks Pat!

I had thought the top would protect the windows while taking it offroad. Might not be that big of a deal.

nat

Adventurer
What type of material are you looking at for the top/sides?

It will be steel or aluminum. When I do the CAD work, I will get the weight and compare the materials. I have 2 MIG welders, one of which also has the aluminum spool gun. Steel would be the easiest and cheapest to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles