Travel Trailer Conversion?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks, but what I saw was not illustrated there. The wheel assembly mounted at the side and there was no axel running to the other side.

TBRV

Torsion axle great on single axle applications. 2 torsion axles are a problem off road as 1 wheel can end up taking entire load of trailer in rough terrain. I have seen many bent axles on multi axle torsion set-ups. Solid tandem axles have an equalizer between the axles to distribute the load in rougher terrain. Most torsion axles are a replace entire unit when bent. Solid axle can be replaced much quicker on the road as any spring shop can make you a new one. Torsion axles can take time to get replacement as few shops can make you a new one and with so many sizes shops almost never in stock.

If you are putting on a lot of miles with solid axle set-up, upgrade bushings from nylon to greasable brass set-up and have an ailgnment done with the trailer fully loaded. Alignment is important on multi axle units as tire wear can happen fast.

As important as axles are tires. A lot of manufacturers use off shore tires that are often not up to the rigors rough terrain. Quality trailer radial in suitable ply-rating can be a good investment.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
All makes sense and appreciate the advice. Now, it seems that maybe it's not a good idea to build a conversion. Plan B.

Get a cheap travel trailer to canabalize interior parts, stove, ref., toilet/shower, sinks, pumps, maybe some lights, etc.

Build a stout trailer, larger axels, wheels and tires.

Buy a connex or shipping container. Mount it on the frame and start building the interior with the parts.

Sell the old gutted travel trailer to a construction guy for a work trailer!

I'm sure I could get a decent travel trailer for a couple grand, after that, what do you think the cost would be to build such a thing? Probably get a small connex for a grand too, so that's 3K. So that leaves frame, axel, wheels, tires and incidental items and interior materials. Any guesses?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
27588700.jpg

These GovLiq links sometimes work.

If not, search for "Boyer"

Enjoy!

WOW! That is close, and would certainly do! The Army version I used was a 5 ton but the GM duce and half front end, just bigger than the duce. Wonder what that is used for?

I'm looking at some old trailers, newer ones seem like they are built too cheaply and the old ones really need work and modifications, nothing yet.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Those trailers the Gall boys use are made by Kedron Offroad trailers In australia...Havent been on the website in a few years...what a cool idea though

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, after asking questions in several threads, maybe the best thing for me is to tow a travel trailer behind the F-150. Small one, 18' maybe, upgrade the axel and springs with some lift and larger wheels/tires. Protect the underneath with a bellypan, at least at the tanks and approach and departure. Add a big bumper on the rear to hold the motorcycle (650 Transalp). Then begin on the inside, winterize it, insulate if needed. Maybe get a pental hitch for it. My truck is stock so it won't be going into anything really difficult, no rock climbing really, fire roads at the worst and the trails in the woods and not tight ones.

Do you think that's a plan? Well, if it is, a good one? LOL

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Now my gears are turning. I use to see Bedouins living in similar trailers in Kuwait and Qatar.

Nice! That works, but doubt one is around here. I'm thinking maybe an older one, cheap, and fix it the way I'd want it. I'm not really a wrencher, but I can do nice interior work. Also saw the dandem trailer, the travel trailer could pull my utility trailer with stuff and the bike on it? The ? meaning, off road? I guess it would follow.

D

Deleted member 9101

Nice! That works, but doubt one is around here. I'm thinking maybe an older one, cheap, and fix it the way I'd want it. I'm not really a wrencher, but I can do nice interior work. Also saw the dandem trailer, the travel trailer could pull my utility trailer with stuff and the bike on it? The ? meaning, off road? I guess it would follow.

Depends on your version of "off road"...lol. With the right truck you could drag both down dirt roads all day long.. but tight turns and obstacles woudl be a bit of a problem.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, what I could do is hookup the 24' boat, put the utility trailer behind that and then go over to the Wal-Mart parking lot and practice going up the lanes, parking and backing up. I would probably need alot of practice! :smiley_drive:

Guess what I'm looking for is how to figure out the largest space for the cheapest dollars, considering the entry cost and travel costs.

Off road to me is going across a hill side usually found in the Ozarks, not rock cliffs or dropoffs. Crossing streams and say 2 to 3' of water with a solid bottom. Fire roads, utility line roads, or rough unimproved dirt roads in decent condition. It is hard to explain isn't it? A beach or firm desert, not really soft dunes.

I figure if I can cover 75% of the terrain that other vehicles can do, I'll have plenty of places to go.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Those trailers the Gall boys use are made by Kedron Offroad trailers In australia...Havent been on the website in a few years...what a cool idea though

And that was no small trailer! I thought it was an Airstream, but have no idea!
I guess the Aussies are out doing us in offroad travel, probably since they have less road!

I guess the ket to hauling an American made jobber will be to take it s l o w !
Although they weren't blazing through either. I really don't have time to build on either.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Fiberglass boats built in the 60s, 70s are pretty solid as they were over built as fiberglass was introduced. Is that true for the travel trailers as well? Are the older ones heavier and stronger than say a 2000 model? And, how do you assess the axelsas being sufficient for washboard travels and slow going off road?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior