Bought a RTT

Steve F

Adventurer
Bought the rooftop tent, got quite the package with Tent, Annex, Awning and removable flyscreen for the awning. Hopefully it'll arrive here on Monday and I can put it on and test, should be a better fit on the XJ than in the pic below, the CRV that it's on isn't tall enough and it hangs loose and the floor section isn't extended up. According to the dimensions the XJ should be about perfect Now to make some roof bars for the camper so I can mount it on the roof of that as well.

Rooftoptent.jpg

Here's my Jeep, when no base camp is needed the RTT will go on here. My wife and me in the RTT and the 3 kids in the annex

IMG_4135nonum.jpg

And my homemade camper it's going on top of when we can setup a base camp and go explore. My eldest has the RTT to himself, my two daughters get the annex and me and my wife the camper :)

IMG_2645.jpg

The roof rack for the camper will just be a basic frame that attaches to the steel frame of the camper not the roof itself.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Adventurer
Man, I really like your camper!!!!!

Thanks, I do too :) Its great to just pull up and hop in to go to sleep or open the kitchen and have everything there ready to make some lunch. Inside it has a queen size bed with draws above the feet and an open storage space above that for duffle bags etc. It also has a flip down LCD screen and DVD player/stereo.

There's LED lighting through out and a 100AH battery in the kitchen section next to the right had draw with a solar panel to top it up. There's also a large opening caravan window on the front that winds out and a hatch on the roof as well as windows in the doors. It's a great bit of gear especially when the ground is muddy of the weather crappy :)

Here's some more pics :)

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

Head end, these few were before the checkerplate went on.

100_6397.jpg

Feet end, the internal wheel tubs are carpeted now

100_6398.jpg

Kitchen, the draws have latches on now and I have a large plastic tub that goes in each one so I can pack in the house and then just drop it in the draw ready to go. I still haven't lined the inside of the tailgate, might have to do that soon :)

100_6394.jpg

Cheers
Steve

D

Deleted member 9101

wow.. that thing is awesome... one year I am going to build something like that!

Toolman

Explorer
Nice set up !!

Who makes that RTT ?

Do you I understand you correctly... are you going to mount the RTT on top of the teardrop ?

If so I want to see a picture of that when it's set up.. that will be sweeet.

Steve F

Adventurer
Nice set up !!

Who makes that RTT ?

Do you I understand you correctly... are you going to mount the RTT on top of the teardrop ?

If so I want to see a picture of that when it's set up.. that will be sweeet.

It's an ebay one, same as the ARB ones and they are also made in the same factory as the ARB ones, just no ARB badge on it :)

Yep, its going on top of the teardrop, not all the time just when we need a base camp for a few days. The teardrop is pretty much the same height as the Jeep so it should work well.

Cheers
Steve

Cruisn

Adventurer
I bougth the same kit with the rtt, jsut got it today. super easy to install. looks great. good quality build. I am happy. I almost need the ladder extension though. as long as it doesnt sit about 1.9m you should be okay.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It's an ebay one, same as the ARB ones and they are also made in the same factory as the ARB ones, just no ARB badge on it :)

Correction, same as the old ARB ones, the ones that were updated and upgraded 2 years ago now with better components and increased usability. Its still a great tent, spent many a nights in one but a spade is a spade ;)

Steve F

Adventurer
Correction, same as the old ARB ones, the ones that were updated and upgraded 2 years ago now with better components and increased usability. Its still a great tent, spent many a nights in one but a spade is a spade ;)

LOL, fair enough. If ARB sold their products in Australia at a reasonable price there might not be such a demand for these ebay tents ;) Try buying an ARB air locker over here, cheaper to buy it in the US and ship it over!!! Tents are probably the same but shipping would be the killer.

Cheers
Steve

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
LOL, fair enough. If ARB sold their products in Australia at a reasonable price there might not be such a demand for these ebay tents ;) Try buying an ARB air locker over here, cheaper to buy it in the US and ship it over!!! Tents are probably the same but shipping would be the killer....

I hear you loud and clear, having hours browsing through different 4x4 shops all over Australia during my visit I was both amazed and shocked by the way the market works there. On one hand I can appreciate it, on the other hand it really makes me appreciate our market. I get several Aussie inquiries each week, in most cases the shipping kills as you mentioned. Enjoy the tent, I really did enjoy mine.

Steve F

Adventurer
Put the tent on today, too damn hot (40c) to put it all up so just did the basics. Loving it already, quick to setup and works well on the XJ. Its offset to the passenger side (Australian passenger side) to leave room for the awning to mount on the drivers side. I'll set it all up on the weekend and grab some more pics.

IMG_4170nonum.jpg

IMG_4174nonum.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94