cheep roof top rack options for a topper

wildmed

Hey everyone, I am in need of a roof top rack for my topper, however I am on a super tight student budget. I have heard of several people taking racks off of SUVs in junkyards and transplanting them onto there toppers. I think that may be a good way to go for me. It does not need to be a super heavy duty rack as the heaviest thing it will carry will be WW kayaks. Has anyone had experience with this? how did it turn out? thanks!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
What do you want to carry on the rack? How much weight?

It is possible to transplant a rack from a vehicle you need to start with the basics...

Pete

wildmed

holy cow just realized i spelled cheap, cheep in the title. I promise I am not a complete idiot, Im getting over a particularly nasty virus I caught at work, so Im exhausted. Again, I apologize. I don't plan to cary anything heavy. The heaviest thing it will cary will be 2 river kayaks, or possibly a single two person lake kayak. Other than that it will mostly carry ski's/snowboards. I would say that at max 75lbs

off-roader

Expedition Leader
holy cow just realized i spelled cheap, cheep in the title. I promise I am not a complete idiot, Im getting over a particularly nasty virus I caught at work, so Im exhausted. Again, I apologize. I don't plan to cary anything heavy. The heaviest thing it will cary will be 2 river kayaks, or possibly a single two person lake kayak. Other than that it will mostly carry ski's/snowboards. I would say that at max 75lbs

Buy a used Thule/Yakima rack on craigslist, get their mount for your topper and go at it. I would think you could probably find a full on setup for under $100

Ala5ka

VX'er
I built mine minus the lights for under $100, the most expensive component was the Herculiner, but you have to have access to a welder and some time/knowledge

sasaholic

Adventurer
i built my rack out of conduit and its suprizingly strong. i built one previously that turned out way to heavy and was too tall. i love this one and cant even tell its up there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles