Pajero Mk1 Tourer build-up

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah the last time I checked they have 'Breakers' where they can get used parts from. As for a harder core rig... what kind of hard core trail riding are you thinking of?

Cruisn

Adventurer
I will most likely dig up another used unit and give a good clean/refurb.

not sure on a prject yet. would love a shorty pajero.

Progress for today:

Was a good day, mitre 10 had a sale, so I got a makita 5" grinder for 85 bucks and a work light for 25 bucks. win win in my books, now I jsut need that welder.
but I have sourced a welder,

The welder I am sourcing is a tig, good for aluminum welding which was my main concern. if it can do ally, it can do almsot every other metal. and it has high freq. start so no touch start.
http://www.weldsmart.com.au/welding...smart-200-amp-acdc-pulse-tig-stick-welder-arc

Toys I bought today:

Now onto the pajero work, I was able to drop the transmission today, it was still in good shape, this will make it a lot easier to pull the engine now. which is win win in my books.
it was dirty as hell though. although the oil cameout half *** clean which is good. no internal damage then. but since its a 4 speed it will be put on the back burner as a spare if ever needed again. I now have 3 transmissions sitting in my garage.. ugghhhh they multiply somehow..

And of course that means that all the drive shafts had to be dropped, the front drive shaft needs 1 uni joint replaced. but its not tobad, but hey, its out and easy to fix so why not. I am noticing that I will be doing a lot of clean up underneath the rig. mainly with a wire wheel so I can repaint

Starter is out: this needs a clean for the contacts. otherwise its all good to go still woohoo!!! something thats not ****ed!!

How am I staying organized? a big box and everything pulled off is placed in zip lock baggies and lables. this will make re assembly much much easier. Thanks to James for the idea.

What are peoples thought on what to use for undercoating a 4wd? anyone using bedliner? or jsut thick paint? I see a lot of gravel roads and sand. its takes paint off in no time flat

off-roader

Expedition Leader
In addition to the baggies, a project as big as this, I'd take little videos of the disassembly process as well, then download them to your PC each night naming each video with the appropriate step as you save them for future reference. Plus you can also share them with others who may need to undertake the same process.

Cruisn

Adventurer
In addition to the baggies, a project as big as this, I'd take little videos of the disassembly process as well, then download them to your PC each night naming each video with the appropriate step as you save them for future reference. Plus you can also share them with others who may need to undertake the same process.

But but so much work... LOL. I could though. would be intersting to do a time lapse setup of the complete build.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I don't see why it would be a problem using something like a bed liner product on the underside. It doesn't look much different than the sound proofing stuff we used to put on the Chrysler's in the early 2000's.

GFO

Observer
If you do spray the underside with bed-liner, you might want to avoid the textured stuff, as it will make mud/dirt cling to it more.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wait, wait wait... you're in Australia! Australians don't use zip lock bags! You have Kangaroo's for that! :ylsmoke:

Cruisn

Adventurer
Not true. From what I understand, it zips the same direction as here in the US, but where ours opens from the top, theirs opens from the bottom :)

Bang on the money, its a little odd, but you get used to it over time.

I do get sick of rotating all my images for everyone though..

Cruisn

Adventurer
Draining all the diesel today, I figure there is about 140L sitting in tanks still. then dropping the tanks. slowly getting there. got moved to night shift, so I am a little wiped to do any big projects.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, today was a fun day, drained both my tanks of diesel, I figure there was 120L or so left in it. so that was fun to sort out.

tomorrow I will drop the tanks and put the wagon up on jack stands that I jsut bought. so I hope in a few weeks I can have it stripped enough to start cleaning and then prep for paint.

The paint I will be using is Por15. very tough and rust resistant. and will make the pajero look brand new underneath which should make it easier to get over the pits once done.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, she is up on jack stands.

I am also having issues sorting out how I want it to look. I have been tossing around the idea of actually doing a ute chop. I now have the tools, I have recently purchased a welder and an air compressor so I have everything that is needed.

here is a rough sketch of what I would like, the canopy can be 1700 wide by 1700 long by 1000 high. also will allow for a 3 battery setup and will save weight as the complete box would be made out of ally.
The tray will be longer. ran out of paper, plus dual spares hanging off the back yet. would still end about 100-150mm shorter than factory.

something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M2O-LOCA...577&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=251281915119&

Cruisn

Adventurer
it is a go, jsut waiting for mod permission from the government. its hella gay but has to be done. shouldnt be an issue though. then it needs an engineer to look at it once done. but being a welder by trade i highly doubt there will be any fail points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles