73-87 chevy heated mirrors

coreys88burban

Adventurer
I say a episode on trick my truck and they installed mirror heaters. anyone know who sells these? i look and look and all can find is stuff in like japan and china and im not ordering out of the US. just wanna install defrost on my factory mirrors.

cv17r-lupdated.jpg

Last edited:

xpndbl3

Adventurer
can't remember the last time my were foggy, just spray some rain-x on there and knock off any snow/ice and that's about it

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine took some real thin wire and glued it onto the perimeter of his stock mirrors and then ran a connection into the cab which was connected to a 1.5 volt battery with an on off switch. He said it worked prefect to heat up the mirror and even thick ice was gone in 5 mins. Might be an option for you?:ylsmoke:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
A friend of mine took some real thin wire and glued it onto the perimeter of his stock mirrors and then ran a connection into the cab which was connected to a 1.5 volt battery with an on off switch. He said it worked prefect to heat up the mirror and even thick ice was gone in 5 mins. Might be an option for you?:ylsmoke:

just a wire and no element?

lam396

Adventurer
yea thats the one i found but i cant read anything on there!

You can download a google toolbar that has a translate function. Not sure if this will work right with formating but I just copied and pasted it from the website. Will come out to about $5 but they will kill you with shipping form Germany.

Description

Heating film of polyester adhesive-backed, splice and fail-safe, suitable for universal applications. For protection against freezing temperatures of, for example surfaces, equipment, enclosures, switches, aquariums, or for various liquids. The highest safety and quality of service. With sealed cable. Made in Germany!

Technical data

Operating voltage 12 V
Dim. (L x W) 60 mm x 47 mm
Performance 3 W
Connection 100 mm
RoHS Compliant Yes
Execution self-adhesive

Northman

Adventurer
You can buy that Heating Film in 3Watt , 6Watt , 12Watt , 15Watt , 17Watt and 35Watt . I think 12 Watt is more than enough for Mirrors . It is a very flat self-adhesive Foil (?) with 2 Wires . You can pull the Wires trough the Bracket of your Mirror to the inside of the Door . No drill required . I hope you understand my english ... :sombrero: I can send you a Couple of these Parts as a Gift , it's much cheaper than UPS or something .

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Do a internet search for "DIY heated mirror" lots of info. It looks like the Burco 3801 is the heating elemnet of choice.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Corey, the system he used was a thin wire without insulation glued onto the mirror, and from the mirror it was an insulated wire into the cab. He made a loop from the positive terminal of a little flashlight D cell, around the perimeter of the mirror, and then through an on off switch in the cab, then back to the negative terminal on the battery. Basically he is just short circuiting a flashlight battery and the heat that builds up in the thin wire on the mirror melts the ice. I dont know what his battery consumption is, but hey it is easy to pack a few D cells around in the truck and then change them out of a battery holder when they go flat.:sombrero:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you found a source for the mirrows Corey. I hope that you have the money to purchase those expensive goodys.:yikes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier