My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Slow Build

rikinwyoming

Observer
Well, after lurking here for a bit, I thought it about time to introduce myself. I live in the windy wilds of Casper, Wyoming. As I write this, the wind at 38 mph is about to tip my trailer over! :wings:

Enough about that. I recently purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4 to build into an expedition vehicle. I am amazed at the build threads here, and though my build will be slow, I endevour to build something that will be suitable for my family for camping trips and escape from zombies:Wow1:. The truck has a 5.9 gas motor with 76k on the clock original. Got in a fight with a pole before I got her, but no frame damage and the price was right!

Pics of when I got her last week...a little bit of front end damage...
011501_160500.jpg

011501_160502.jpg

011501_160501.jpg

new headlight assembly on the way...fixed the tailgate so it opens fine now...and I picked up this bumper from the junkyard today, made for a chevy, but within one inch of my total width so now it's time to weld up some new brackets...
012101_172200.jpg

All I have added otherwise is a bedrail mounted toolbox which I got for free from a local fellow 4x4 club member (backcountrycrawlers), and deleted the factory battery for a Deka Intimidator agm battery...also added a tomtom gen1 gps unit...
main_3_1162.jpg

Future plans call for a 3 inch lift front/rear, 12K winch with dual battery setup, a 105 gallon transfer flow fuel tank in the bed, 4.56 gearing, rear locker and 35 inch tires. I still also need to fab some roof mounts so I can mount a safari rack up there, and will possibly fab a snorkle (though I am not sure on that one yet).

Beautiful rigs here, alot of though goes into them... that's it for now, will update as things happen!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like a nice truck even though it has some front end damage. Can you tell us how much you payed for the truck?:victory:

rikinwyoming

Observer
Looks like a nice truck even though it has some front end damage. Can you tell us how much you payed for the truck?:victory:

I could but you wouldn't believe me... actually I traded a jeep cherokee for it that I had,, but considering I had about $1200 into the cherokee,,, I can't complain in the least!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow, what a deal! What would a 2nd gen 1 ton diesel with club cab cost in your area?:coffeedrink:

rikinwyoming

Observer
Wow, what a deal! What would a 2nd gen 1 ton diesel with club cab cost in your area?:coffeedrink:

I got a great deal on my truck from a good friend...taking a short look at craigslist, locally looks like 10-12k for what you are looking for in a 4x4.

Back to topic

rikinwyoming

Observer
a hint of what I did today with my $20 junkyard bumper find...
also, replaced the hood hinges, slotted the hood catch pin to adjust it over so it would lock down, put in a replacement drivers headlight assembly, new air filter, and a toolbox in the bed...
still have to put some more bracing on the bumper, picked up some 4 inch heavy wall oilfield pipe so I can get rid of the rear bumper as well and put a good heavy duty bumper in the back,,,, have a lead on a headache rack for free as well, but it's two inches too wide for the bed and two feet too long,,, so once I get that I will have to mod it as well!!
013001_1652001.jpg

013001_1651001.jpg

rikinwyoming

Observer
Very cool and very Wyoming!

thanks,,, I have an opportunity to get a free headache rack,,, but I am not sure yet,,,, thinking of maybe putting some angle iron on the top of the bed in back of the cab and down the sides,,, and bending some 2 inch tubing into hoops like on a military cargo truck, thus I could fab up a canvas top ,,,, but thats just one idea swimming in my head at the moment,,,lol

haroldbrock

Dodge ram 1500 parts

Nice project rikinwyoming. That's awesome. it looks like your Dodge ram 1500 is in total makeover. There are some parts that seem to be adjusted/upgraded such as the Dodge grill, bumper cover and shocks. I hope I can help you on adjusting some parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94