Suburban vs 99 f250? new here

uberhahn

Observer
What are your family needs for camping? Are you going to be sleeping in/with the truck or tent camping? Do you need access to gear while on the road?

I have a '99 suburban 1/2 ton. It doubles as my tow vehicle and a camping rig, not a daily driver. I have a wife, and 3 kids, so my needs are different. Zero mods, other than slighly bigger tires and a few interior liveabilty upgrades, like lighting.

I have to store a lot of gear, and my wife likes to have everything inside, temperature controlled, vs covered with a bed-cap. She doesn't pack lighly, and that won't change.

The "needs" aside, the daily driver comment makes me lean to the f-250 simply to avoid the 454 for daily duty.

From a maintenance perspective, I think its a wash. Your Ford is getting to the mileage where significant work may be needed on the diesel. The Chevy with the big-block...repair is cheaper, but you don't know the truck or maintenance history.

Keep looking. Don't let the modifications on the Burb hook you in. Find something that fits your family's needs.

And, keep in mind that if mommy's not happy, nobody's happy.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
The grass is NOT greener - I'd never consider trading a diesel solid axle rig for a gas IFS vehicle for off road use. You would be sacrificing mileage, durability and ease of repair getting rid of the leaf sprung solid axle F250. The Burb is great for sucking gas and taking the kids to soccer practice a block away, the F250 will excel in every other field. If you need more passenger space, click over to the 4wd van forum a few sections down and check out the builds there, then contact Chris at U-Joint and you can have all the dependability you have now, plus more interior room than the Suburban could ever hope to have.

shock

Observer
I am working get the pictures up i built a rook rack for the f250 with 4 lights and with the miles on the diesel i know it runs good and alot of new parts so a diesel it is. Is there any one that built there own front bumper and winch set up?

shock

Observer
withrack006.jpg

Ok here it is what do you guys think?

shock

Observer
Thanks when money can afford it. Those are 285 and a 2in leveling kit. I herculined the trucks rockers and wheel well. Are these a better platform them the burbs?

Terrainist

Explorer
Better platform than a suburban? You would never forgive yourself if you got rid of that for a Suburban. And the tires are fine, as long as they aren't smaller than stock. You can get into as many places as you want to with that thing just the way it sits.

Thats a nice truck !!

Edit: You posted a pic of the Burb. It would have to be one of the best Burbs on the planet to trade your truck for it, and that Burb ain't it.

shock

Observer
Thanks Alot on the truck and the tiresw are 285 and stock are 245. I bought all 4 with 3k on them and the superduty wheels mounted for 350 so i had to go that route until i can get a 33 or so. The burb is dead.

poriggity

Explorer
Yeah.. that body lift looks to be WAY higher than 2".. It may "look cool" with the rack and bumpers and crap, but keep the superduty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online