Sorry, it will be an AEV Brute with 35 inch tires

I'm looking to carry the full size spare & a jerry can

The swing out bumper door option seems like it would be annoying & heavy

pods8

Explorer
Sorry, it will be an AEV Brute with 35 inch tires

I'm looking to carry the full size spare & a jerry can

The swing out bumper door option seems like it would be annoying & heavy

Ah, the question makes more sense now. Not a lot of options. Rear bumper door as mentioned. A front bumper mount possible. Or up on the roof, in which case you'd definitely want to add gas springs to the front/rear of the roof to help lift it.

DirtyDog

Adventurer
Ah, the question makes more sense now. Not a lot of options. Rear bumper door as mentioned. A front bumper mount possible. Or up on the roof, in which case you'd definitely want to add gas springs to the front/rear of the roof to help lift it.

Unless this guy is hulk hogan he isn't going to be lifting a spare tire on the roof even with gas assist shocks. Not a good idea.

pods8

Explorer
Unless this guy is hulk hogan he isn't going to be lifting a spare tire on the roof even with gas assist shocks. Not a good idea.

You don't think with the higher load shock it'd work? I thought some folks were lifting their roofs with kayaks/boats on them utilizing the shocks or am I mistaken?

Either way its not the ideal in my mind either I was just making one of a couple suggestions. The rear swing out bumper is likely the best place in that limited package (or have the shell custom build to have a storage compartment for the tire but you'd loose ALOT of space).

DirtyDog

Adventurer
You don't think with the higher load shock it'd work? I thought some folks were lifting their roofs with kayaks/boats on them utilizing the shocks or am I mistaken?

Either way its not the ideal in my mind either I was just making one of a couple suggestions. The rear swing out bumper is likely the best place in that limited package (or have the shell custom build to have a storage compartment for the tire but you'd loose ALOT of space).

I've never seen anyone lift the roof with a boat on top. Some people have trouble lifting the roof empty much less with any weight on top. I once tired lifting the roof with an empty rocket box on top and that was surprisingly difficult. I feel a spare tire would be extremely difficult to lift and would be a potential safety hazard when lowering the roof. The shocks may help the situation somewhat but I still don't think its a good idea.

chadlanc

Adventurer
ya, lifting a 35 inch tire that high sounds like a recipe for a disaster. I talked with aluminess and garvin today and they probably can do some type of simple swing away bumper. I went to the FWC factory on saturday and checked out the model they used for the overland expo on the brute, its perfect for my needs. It surprisingly has a lot of room.

pods8

Explorer
I've never seen anyone lift the roof with a boat on top. Some people have trouble lifting the roof empty much less with any weight on top. I once tired lifting the roof with an empty rocket box on top and that was surprisingly difficult. I feel a spare tire would be extremely difficult to lift and would be a potential safety hazard when lowering the roof. The shocks may help the situation somewhat but I still don't think its a good idea.

Not the best idea but I'd be more worried about putting the tire up and getting it down than with lifting the roof.

I went back and read through the lifter thread and I wasn't recalling incorrectly, "Casa Escarlate Robles Too" is using 40# shocks all around I believe and lifts his canoe. With a little higher rated shock I'd assume the tire would be doable (whats a 35" weight about 100lb?). But I'd still prefer the rear rack myself, just covering basis in terms of ideas.
well i tested the new mods with the canoe on its rack.my canoe with the things traveling with it (paddles life jackets you know the stuff) is about 60#+ so the lifters do there job,with about the same effort in lifting with no load no shocks.so they really make a difference.without the canoe to keep the front from lifting by itself i have a bungee inside that keeps the top from going up wile i lift the back.boy its a piece of cake.i was going to get them as an option but decided no i'll try lifting without the extra help.i still carry the roof lifting lever i made just in case i'am out and about and to pooped to pop.have a good week end.frank

chadlanc

Adventurer
ya, just debating between the metal siding and the fiberglass. The metal siding just looks so 80's. The owner of AEV suggested the fiberglass as well.

chadlanc

Adventurer
For the brute model it's a $400 charge and is painted white. Not sure yet on the cost to have it painted a different color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online