Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Default Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Expedition Portal has started a new project vehicle, a 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 Automatic. These vehicles have a great reputation for economy and durability, proven suitable for nearly all improved dirt roads and even serious long-distance exploration. It is the split personality family hauler, dog hauler, Costco hauler, Scandinavian Flick performer and dirt road challenger.

Why the Forester?

This vehicle can easily serve daily commuting duties and provide high 20mpg economy while still being able to travel on remote dirt roads and even mild Jeep tracks.

What are the plans?

1. We are currently researching full underbody skid plating and various rally bits to protect the undercarriage.

2. We are also researching a small 1-2" coil spring lift to provide additional ground clearance and load capacity.

3. We are researching suitable tire sizes to provide an additional .5" of clearance while having minimal affect on fuel economy. Taller, but not wider (maybe even narrower than stock). A slightly more aggressive tread pattern and a blocked shoulder.

4. We are also going to work on communications, recovery points and gear, tools and spares, storage and loading/lashing, lighting, etc.

Once its finished, we have a few fun trips planned for it.

Updates and more pictures soon. First I need to tighten the e-brake cable a bit
    Last edited by Scott Brady; 01-25-2011 at 04:47 AM.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest View Post
    It is the split personality family hauler, dog hauler, Costco hauler, Scandinavian Flick performer and dirt road challenger.
    This vehicle can easily serve daily commuting duties and provide high 20mpg economy while still being able to travel on remote dirt roads and even mild Jeep tracks.
    Coolness. Can't wait to see how this develops. I really dig vehicles with split personalities. Daily driven, grocery gettin' and capable.....
    Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    CrowsWing Benroy Teardrop on ExPo
    The 220,000 Mile Tundra

I'm excited to see this project come along. This car should prove to be even more surprising than what it will already do in stock form.
    Good Luck

we just put svx front springs in my buddies legacy, lifted it another 3/4 to 1 inch more than the legacy outback springs that were in there. He is now out of the camber adjustment range, but I guess there is a bolt kit that allows for more. I believe the forester and SVX spring hats are the same. but the legacy ones are different. I'll have to ask him what he has for the rear lift.
    Gary
    96 FZJ80

Get out and make nowhere your special somewhere!

Our first point of research is skid plates. That needs to happen before we even consider a gravel road. The engine oil pan is completely exposed, as is the exhaust.

Does anyone have recommendations on light weight and quality aluminum skid plates for the front, gas tank and rear diff?
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

cool project! I have a sand rail with a subi 2.5 and I have a modified oil pan from Outfront Motorsports that is a couple inches shorter and rebuilt with plate steel on the bottom. Some guys still have a skid plate but I know many that will wheelie on that oil pan and cause no problems. Yes sand is softer than rocks but it is a good starting point and drastically cleans up the profile under the belly of your forester. They specialize in high performance Subaru engines for the sand sport industry. Great people and will answer any of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest View Post
    Our first point of research is skid plates. That needs to happen before we even consider a gravel road. The engine oil pan is completely exposed, as is the exhaust.

Does anyone have recommendations on light weight and quality aluminum skid plates for the front, gas tank and rear diff?
    http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/s...d_forester.htm

Sumpguard

http://www.subaxtreme.com.au/subaru/...umpguards.html
    Last edited by ttora4runner; 01-25-2011 at 04:39 AM.
    2002 Toyota 4runner - with some goodies.

SmallFrye-Travels

Will definitely keep my eyes on this one. Almost picked up a Forester this weekend, but they are just too bloody small for me. Only thing I've found with >20mpg economy running under 10k is the CRV. I'll be interested to see how you handle recovery points etc on this Forester, maybe even try to glean some tricks for other soft roaders; most of which will rarely see anything much worse than gravel roads anyway.
    KF7GFF

Can not wait to see what coes of this... I think it can make a great long distance eco overlander...

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast