Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

whereto

Subscribed. Just bought a 2014 Foz XT. Not in a hurry to start outfitting it (not a lot of aftermarket available yet anyway!)

In the 2014 XT the lack of low range torque is somewhat helped out by the addition of the new X-Mode feature. Popular Mechanics sums it up better than I can:

"X-Mode is a clever take on typical off-road programming, and encompasses a lot more variables you'll engage on washboard dirt roads. First, the CVT holds a low gear ratio longer, essentially simulating first gear as long as the going is slow, and throttle tip-in is muted, enabling more nuanced control on our test drive along desert back roads outside Tucson, Ariz. Second, the default on-demand front/rear AWD power distribution is recalibrated to something closer to a simulation of a completely locked 4x4, and the traction control fights wheelspin more aggressively. Third, there's an auto hill-descent program that engages as long as the vehicle is in X-Mode."

I can attest to the very muted throttle and increased power distribution. It has been very comforting while driving slowly on icy hard pack to know that if I accidentally give 'er a bit too much my wheels won't go into a spin and start me sliding sideways. The vehicle feels like it is glued to the road.

Anyway this is an epic thread. So many ups and downs! Keep up the good work!

Ferr3t

Loving this build, subscribed. I'm findng plenty of inspiration for my 2013 Impreza build.
Cheers from Western, MT.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I see your gap and raise you
View attachment 186804
215/75 15 Toyo Open Country stuffed under my first gen rear strut. I'm running 6mm less offset than the stock rims, safe to say this is the largest size you can run on this generation.

I picked up a set of 04' FXT struts and springs in preparation for the lift going on my 06 2.5i wagon. I've read countless threads on how the 96-99 Outbacks give a bit of lift in the same manner as the Forester struts do, and I took a stroll down to the local Pull apart to pick up the sway bar brackets and trailing arm brackets. The struts were only being held in by one bolt, as someone had already removed the subframe from the model I was picking apart, so I took the strut off and dtook some comparison shots. I was always under the belief that the Forester suspension added the most lift, however, not only are the Outback struts taller, the perch is quite a bit higher. Now I only plan on running 215/65/16, which have been confirmed to fit under the Forester bits. But for you guys running bigger tires that are within a gnats *** hair away from the perch, the Outback struts may be of interest to you.
unnamed (1).jpg
The Outback assembly is on the left, whereas the FXT part is on the right. You will notice just how much higher the spring perch is in comparison to the Forester's.
unnamed.jpg
Also of note is that the Outback assembly is taller.

*Edit: I just noticed something in the picture that i didn't before. Although the Outback assembly is taller, the mounting point on the Forester strut is lower, which when mounted, would position the assembly higher up than the Outback's. I still think that the Outback spring perch is going to be higher even with the difference in the height of the point at which it attaches to the hub.

I bring this up because there are countless threads out there that show the Outback spring as being shorter than the Foresters which would cause one to assume that the Forester suspension would provide the most lift. I think if an individual was looking to put the biggest tire on their car and gain the most lift, an Outback strut and spring is the way to go, since the strut is that much taller than the Foresters. I wouldn't mismatch the springs and struts with the Outback, as I've heard the spring rates in the rear are quite a bit higher (190lbs/in) vs most everything else in the Subie line up (130-150's) with the exception of the STI springs. I've never run across a comparison of the Outback vs Forester complete assembly on the inter-webs and if this information has already been presented somewhere I offer my apologies, but I hope this helps someone else.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
This thing is awesome... Please tell me you're bringing it to Overland Expo? I'd love to see it in person! :sombrero:
I needed the Discovery with me this year, it may well be there next year though. :chef:

I picked up a set of 04' FXT struts and springs in preparation for the lift going on my 06 2.5i wagon. I've read countless threads on how the 96-99 Outbacks give a bit of lift in the same manner as the Forester struts do, and I took a stroll down to the local Pull apart to pick up the sway bar brackets and trailing arm brackets. The struts were only being held in by one bolt, as someone had already removed the subframe from the model I was picking apart, so I took the strut off and dtook some comparison shots. I was always under the belief that the Forester suspension added the most lift, however, not only are the Outback struts taller, the perch is quite a bit higher. Now I only plan on running 215/65/16, which have been confirmed to fit under the Forester bits. But for you guys running bigger tires that are within a gnats *** hair away from the perch, the Outback struts may be of interest to you.
View attachment 229039
The Outback assembly is on the left, whereas the FXT part is on the right. You will notice just how much higher the spring perch is in comparison to the Forester's.
View attachment 229040
Also of note is that the Outback assembly is taller.

*Edit: I just noticed something in the picture that i didn't before. Although the Outback assembly is taller, the mounting point on the Forester strut is lower, which when mounted, would position the assembly higher up than the Outback's. I still think that the Outback spring perch is going to be higher even with the difference in the height of the point at which it attaches to the hub.

I bring this up because there are countless threads out there that show the Outback spring as being shorter than the Foresters which would cause one to assume that the Forester suspension would provide the most lift. I think if an individual was looking to put the biggest tire on their car and gain the most lift, an Outback strut and spring is the way to go, since the strut is that much taller than the Foresters. I wouldn't mismatch the springs and struts with the Outback, as I've heard the spring rates in the rear are quite a bit higher (190lbs/in) vs most everything else in the Subie line up (130-150's) with the exception of the STI springs. I've never run across a comparison of the Outback vs Forester complete assembly on the inter-webs and if this information has already been presented somewhere I offer my apologies, but I hope this helps someone else.

Interesting observations. I always understood the additional Foz height as being mostly due to the stiffer springs, perhaps maximum height (from "factory" components) could be achieved by combining the Forester springs with Outback struts. I might be tempted to experiment with this if I were wanting to put a taller tire on it, but the +35mm spring and 215/70R16 feel perfect in just about every situation.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Look at the lower mounting points. Measure from the top bolt hole to the bottom of the perch.

All the difference is below the knuckle mounting point.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
I needed the Discovery with me this year, it may well be there next year though. :chef:

Interesting observations. I always understood the additional Foz height as being mostly due to the stiffer springs, perhaps maximum height (from "factory" components) could be achieved by combining the Forester springs with Outback struts. .

Copy that. I've wondered the same, SG forester spring bits in a gen 1 OB strut. ax lift AND max tire clearance. . . . .
Anyone have real experience with this commbo?

I've put first gen forester springs in first gen OB struts, the rear is lifted a little b/c of the extra number of coil rotations, and the front needs the forester's upper spring perch b/c of decreasing radius turns in the coil (matched my SVX springs, but that's another lift story...), but given first gen fozz sprigns are rumored/reported as softer, the lift only comes b/c of MORE spring material... but I think I hear second gen forester springs are stiffer that first gen fozz spring? and therefore are they stiffer than 1st gen OB springs??

Ooh but then there's the travel argument. . . . does a lower spring perch mean MORE suspension travel? We'd need to disect soe struts to better answer all these questions.. .
Where's the bloke who's gunna go to the JY and pull front and rear struts fro gen 1 OB and gen 1 and gen 2 foresters? (s)he then must line them ALL up assembled side by side for pictures with rulers on them all showing lower mounting points on level across all struts, then disassemble them and take pix with rulers showing spring heigghts and coil thicknesses, then measure compression and extnsion of the struts? Front and rear.

anyone?? This needs to be done and cross posted everywhere!!!!
:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Superu

Explorer
Springs

Haven't read all 29 pages of this thread yet, but thought I'd mention that Primitive Racing is now carrying Kings Springs, which is what I put on the Superu along with the lift kit.

P4195239.jpg

I sourced mine direct from the manufacturer in Australia, but Paul is now carrying the Fozzy springs.

Good luck. Really enjoying what I've seen so far.

E.J.

Explorer
Ooh but then there's the travel argument. . . . does a lower spring perch mean MORE suspension travel? We'd need to disect soe struts to better answer all these questions.. .
Where's the bloke who's gunna go to the JY and pull front and rear struts fro gen 1 OB and gen 1 and gen 2 foresters? (s)he then must line them ALL up assembled side by side for pictures with rulers on them all showing lower mounting points on level across all struts, then disassemble them and take pix with rulers showing spring heigghts and coil thicknesses, then measure compression and extnsion of the struts? Front and rear.

anyone?? This needs to be done and cross posted everywhere!!!!
:smiley_drive:
http://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=75271&postcount=10
SF vs SG strut comparison.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
:coffeedrink:
awesome! So if I read this right, the SG has longer travel and b/c the perch sits lower I'm deducing taller springs as well. Reading post 12 supports that. I think the lower perch means taller spring, which is the cross-model case of gen 1 OB vs. gen 1 forester struts, the fozz has a lower perch but taller springs. So if SG is a lower perch than SF and SF is a lower perch than BD/BE? (gen 1 OB), but SF and SG springs are interchangeable within the strut, THEN SG springs will go in gen 1 OB struts as SF do (keeping the forester upper spring perch) and would therefore be a tall spring in a strut with maximum lower perch tire clearance. As such, with elementary deductions, an SG spring (with its corresponding upper perch) IN a gen 1 OB strut could be the ideal in lift and max tire size.
This is soething that needs the side-by-side-by side comparison!!!

I have done front gen 1 OB struts with gen 1 OB springs, gen 2 OB springs and SVX springs, and I have done gen 1 OB rear struts with SF springs. There exists (on the interwebs) gen 1 OB struts with SF springs (front and rear), but AFAIK, noone's done gen 1 OB struts with SG springs.

Turns out I'm working with him in another capacity, and given his mods and build thread he's had a few suspension set-ups in his SF and therefore a reliable source. Thanks for the link E.J.! :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

E.J.

Explorer
The front SG perch sits lower than the SF's but the rear SG has a higher perch, kind of a head scratcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior